Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Passionate Fan

Classic Films #1

Hello everyone! We used to have a thread devoted to classic movies a long time ago, but I have no idea what happened. I guess it just fizzled away.

For those of you interested, how did you get into old movies and which stars/films/eras are your favorites?

I love the 1920s and 30s, so I prefer silent films and pre-code films. My favorite female stars are Mary Pickford, Marlene Dietrich, Marilyn Monroe, Jean Harlow, Clara Bow, and Joan Crawford and my favorite male stars are Charlie Chaplin, Clark Gable, Buddy Rogers, Franchot Tone, and Gary Cooper, although I prefer the women stars to the men. My favorite movies include Gone With the Wind, Grand Hotel, My Best Girl, Sunset Boulevard, Some Like it Hot, etc etc.

One reason I wanted to start this thread was for avatars/icons. Does anyone have any already made they'd like to share?
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

The one with the Empire State building is "An Affair to Remember" with Cary Grant & Deborah Carr.

I love watching classic movies, sometimes I sit at home practically every day watching TCM. Actresses like Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and many more are just so good. I think that some of today's actresses should see how good they truly were.

Also, I just melt when I see movies with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart & Clark Gable.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:21 AM
Elite Fan

I love old movies, mostly from the late 30's through the early 60's. I haven't seen many silent movies.

I'm really big on Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Shirley Temple, Vivian Leigh, Clark Gable, James Dean, etc.

I have some Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and Shirley Temple avies if anyone is interested.
barbeegurl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Passionate Fan

Barbee, I'd definitly be interested. I think Audrey is one of the most beautiful stars of all time, and Marilyn had some really great photography sessions.

pezzie, I think that you're right about the over-acting in some films, but I think it is the exception, not the rule. Stars like Alla Nazimova definitly over-acted, but most of the time it was because they came from the stage and were used to exaggerated motions so that the back of the audience could see it. I recommend people like Mary Pickford for silent films and later Jean Harlow films for early talkies; they definitly didn't overact.

Does anyone have any film recommendations?
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 08-15-2005, 10:32 AM
New Fan

I am a huge fan. I love that era. The movies, clothes, music were all amazing. My favorites are Humphrey Bogart, Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewert, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Marlon Brando, Mary Pickford, Ingrid Bergmen, James Dean, and of course the ultimite leading man Cary Grant. I know I am probally forgetting a lot of others. My favorite movie is The Philidelphia Story followed by Casablanca.
Is anyone else loving Summer Under the Stars. I can't wait for Aug. 20 (Jimmy Stewert's day)
Other then the usual movies (Casablaca, Breakfest at Tiffany's, ect.) I would recomend The Shop Around the Corner (it has a special place in my heart, it was the movie that got me addicted to old movies) and Bringing Up Baby.
Holli7555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Addicted Fan

I love old movies mostly from the 40s and 50s. But I'm also a big Elvis fan, I love his movies even though most of them are the same. My favorite old movie right now would have to be Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astair. I love musicals even though my brothers say they're corny.

Has anyone seen Some Like it Hot? I love it.

:~)
Samweed Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

I've always wanted to see The Shop Around the Corner, I heard it was good. But yes, I saw Some Like It Hot... it's definitely one of my favorites. Hilarious all the way through, and I loved all the actors in it (Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe).
Old 08-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Passionate Fan

The Shop Around the Corner is a decent movie, very similar to the modern You've Got Mail, only better.

I fell in love with Some Like it Hot and Marilyn Monroe the minute I watched it. I always thought I'd hate Marilyn because she's gotten such a bad name over the years, but I was struck by how charismatic and fun she was. The film itself is awesome, very funny, and a real treat for 20s fans like me because of all of the pop culture references.

What does everyone think of Sunset Boulevard? I'm partial I think because I adore silent movies and the stars so much.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree with Maliejandra abouy Marilyn I love her! Have you ever seen The Seven Year Itch? I love that movie.

I don't think that I've ever seen a silent movie before, are they good? I don't even know any names to any.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Extreme Fan

I love classic movies though I still have a lot to watch since those are very rare in my country. But well, I just love James Stewart ever since I saw him in It's A Wonderful Life. Do you guys feel the resemblance between him and Hugh Grant? Because the first time I watch the movie, all I could think was how Grant looks a lot like him. But after several time, I didn't think that anymore.
deeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Deeta,
Yeah I can see that they kinda looked a like. Have you seen Mr. Smith goes to Washington? I love that movie. The first time I saw it, it was in my 9th grade government class.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Passionate Fan

I kind of hated Mr. Smith, but I think that is because I hate government.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Elite Fan

I fell in love with Marilyn when I saw Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Every other movie I've seen her in has been wonderful as well, though Some Like It How is probably my favorite when judging the overall appeal of the movie.

Yes, the reason I wanted to see The Shop Around the Corner was because I heard You've Got Mail was based off of it.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Addicted Fan

To be honest when I watched Mr. Smith in class I fell asleep, but then I watched it again and liked it.

Have you ever heard people say that they can't pay attention to a movie it's in black and white? That's what all the kids in my class were saying.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Passionate Fan

OMG people ALWAYS bother me about how boring black and white films are, and most have them have never watched an entire film.
Reply   Post New Thread