Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

Cinderella Man (2005) #1

Anyone want to see "Cinderella Man"

When America was on its knees, he brought us to our feet.

The story of Depression-era fighter and folk hero Jim Braddock, who defeated heavyweight champ Max Baer in a 15-round slugfest in 1935

Starring:
Russell Crowe: Jim Braddock
Renee Zellweger: Mae Braddock

Directed By:
Ron Howard

Sorry if there already is one.
Dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Master Fan

Nope - there's not another thread.

I'm not going to see this one as I'm not a Russell Crowe fan and I don't care for boxing stories (unless it's Mohamed Ali - I'll watch almost anything about him for personal reasons because he was such a large part of my childhood).

Still, I hear it's really good and I'm sure everyone did a fine job. I'm just not sure what the attraction is with boxing films; there are an awful lot of them...

I've been to a real fight - one, and it's something I definitely never need to repeat. Probably has a lot to do with why I no longer see boxing films.

LOVE the poster, though - that's fabulous!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Elite Fan

I'm not a fan of Russell Crowe or boxing either. But there is something about this movie that I thought looked good. I'm not sure what that is yet, though.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Master Fan

I love Renee Zellweger, so I'll probably see this, even if it's on video. I don't really care too much for RC.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Elite Fan

I'm dying to see this film.

I love Russell Crowe. I hated him like he was the Anti Christ but then I saw the light. lol

I really believe this guy is an actor, he was born to act, to perform. I don't care much for his off camera behavior but then again, it's not to the point where I can't stand him. I love him when he's acting and there's just no one better.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Master Fan

There's something about this movie that looks intriguing, plus, it's getting a lot of good reviews, so I might check it out.

I don't like Russell Crowe much either, perhaps because of his personal reputation, but I must give him due credit for his theatrical personas.

Also, I think that like "Million Dollar Baby", it's more that just a boxing movie, but rather, touches most on the human aspects of sacrifice, life struggles, and providing for oneself, as we see a man attempting to support his family.
Charlize'sAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr
I'm not going to see this one as I'm not a Russell Crowe fan and I don't care for boxing stories.....
well i'm not much of a russell crowe fan either.....but the main reason i won't be seeing the film is because i just finished reading the book...cinderella man : james braddock, max baer, and the greatest upset in boxing history by
jeremy schaap....the book was ok...i think it probably gives more insight into that whole era in regards to boxing than the film ever could.....james braddock became the heavyweight champion almost on a fluke....and he only defended his title in one fight after he won the championship....that fight was aganist joe louis "the brown bomber"...a fight which james braddock lost.......but you know what?....with all the men that joe louis ever fought and beat...james braddock was the only one he ever called "champ" whenever they met....joe louis also refered to james braddock as the bravest man he ever fought.......isn't it amazing the knowledge one can attain from reading.....aren't books wonderful??
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'll wager the film is more about the human spirit and perseverance during the Great Depression and boxing is the metaphor for this more than anything else... Even if the actual boxing scenes are an integral part of the story.

Films and stories like this get made on the universal appeal that everyone can or will indentify with James Braddock at one time in their life, regardless if they are male or female, Black or White, young or old, etc.

Sports movies are never about Sports. Even something as blatant as "The Rookie", or "Friday Night Lights" is about the human spirit and is basically about overcoming adversity in the midst of such dispair -- Be that real despair like the Great Depression or percieved despair like an unbeatable opponent as in "Miracle".

By the way... I hope James Braddock losing his title defense isn't a spoiler since I didn't know anything about him before this movie... Although, it is supposedly a widely known story and I suppose him losing it is more poetic in terms of it just being a symbol that inspires hope and not the thing that defines the man, correct?
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty

By the way... I hope James Braddock losing his title defense isn't a spoiler since I didn't know anything about him before this movie... Although, it is supposedly a widely known story and I suppose him losing it is more poetic in terms of it just being a symbol that inspires hope and not the thing that defines the man, correct?
hi...i wouldn't consider it a spoiler...that event is explained in the book....from what i understand the film ends on a positive note...with james braddock winning the heavyweight title from max baer....by doing this the film becomes more easily watchable and enjoyable.......the underdog, overcoming all sorts of adversity and odds to come out on top.....

as i said in my last post to this thread....james braddock was given the ultimate compliment by the man who defeated him in his one and only title defense...joe louis always called him "champ" whenever they met in public and in private after that fight....that is what i call poetic justice.....
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Elite Fan

This isn't my usaull type of movie. I'm more into action with guns and explosions, but this movie looks good. I don't quite know wny I want to see it. Maybe just the depression/struggle/good comes out of bad, storyline.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Elite Fan

I'm adding a Spoilers warning to the title just in case.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Elite Fan

Anyone see it yet???
Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Just saw this today.

Very, VERY good film. It is not overly sappy or manipulative and paints a really vivid picture of what life was like during the Depression. It is an inspirational story of the human spirit and what is odd is that this is definitely an Oscar-Calibur film that is being released during the Summer Blockbuster season...

But come Winter, I guarantee you'll be hearing nomination buzz for Paul Giamatti (Best Supporting), Best Actor (Russell Crowe; again) and Best Actress (Rene Zellweger).

Highly recommended
Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Elite Fan

SPOILERS

I saw it! Twice! I thought it was awesome. I couldn't help but smile throught the whole thing. The fight with Baer at the end was amazing. It was a beautiful fight.

I tought it was a very positive movie. I especailly love the parts when Russell played dad.

"Rosie, use your fork please"
" We don't steal. No matter what, we never steal. And I promise you to never send you away (cute hug)"

The parts where he was teaching his kids to box were cute too. I enjoyed the one when Rosie bunched him in the face. That was funny

I loved his coach, Joe Gould. He was hallarious (sp) I loved the part when Jimmy won one of the fights and Joe came into the changeroom. "Jesus, jesus..."

One thing I don't get, is why he was called Cidnerella Man in the first place. I've seen it 2 times and still can't figure it out.

Sorry for all the spoilers. I just loved every part of it
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Obsessed Fan

The reason he (and the film) is called "The Cinderella Man" is because he went from rags to riches just like Cinderella does in the fairy tale. From a down and out nobody to Belle of the Ball so-to-speak...\

And the fact he did it out of sheer will and necessity to survive and provide for his family, unlike Baer and others who did it for the money, glory and power.
Reply   Post New Thread