Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebobsh (View Post)
Chaplin was so great and so crucial to film in a time where its future was uncertain.
That's an aspect of watching Chaplin films that I also find very interesting ... it's the birth of a new art form, and through his films you see how the industry evolved in those early days. There's even hints of what would come later with television - Chaplin's short films are in some ways like what you'd see later in TV sitcoms.

From what I understand, Chaplin was also something of a pioneer in mixing comedy and drama in a film. Even today, it's tricky for film makers to mix those two - either they just focus on one or the other, or if they do both either the comedy or drama can fall flat. Most of my favourite movies/TV series have a good balance of both - they're fun, but there's also enough emotion and drama that you care what happens to the characters. The Kid is a good example of that - the interaction between the Tramp and the kid is funny, but it's also quite dramatic when they take the kid away and you feel for the Tramp when he loses John.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So true, and you say it so well!

The only thing is its so hard to find Chaplin merchandise because his family doesn't want to sell him like that. There is Marilyn and James Dean and Audrey everywhere, hardly any of Charlie. I've managed to get a few things over the years. I have movie plates that were advertisements made on tin, one for The Kid, and the other just one that says Charlie Chaplin with his photo on it.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie May (View Post)
The only thing is its so hard to find Chaplin merchandise because his family doesn't want to sell him like that. There is Marilyn and James Dean and Audrey everywhere, hardly any of Charlie. I've managed to get a few things over the years. I have movie plates that were advertisements made on tin, one for The Kid, and the other just one that says Charlie Chaplin with his photo on it.
I sort of noticed this as well, though I haven't been looking for long so I wasn't sure why. It's understandable that there wouldn't be as much interest in Chaplin merchandise these days.

There was though a nice 1/6 scale Chaplin figure released last year for the 100th anniversary of his first appearance as the Tramp. I have one standing atop my desk, looking down at me as I type this:

Charlie Chaplin TRAMP 100th Anniversary : ZCWorld
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you for the avatars There're great
I already use one

Chaplin is the biggest artist in filming history, imo.

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
~ Jis_Bon ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Glad you like the avatars Jis_Bon! If you wouldn't mind though, could you please credit me in your signature for the icon use? Thanks.

Raonaild - Love the statue! Wish I could find more Chaplin stuff. There is stuff out there, it's just hard to find!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

Of course...I apology for missed it

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
~ Jis_Bon ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No worries! Thanks for adding it!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Aww look at all these Charlie Chaplin icons on here. I love it.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I couldn't resist! So I made a batch!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

He deserves it.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes he does! Such a great actor in his time!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

So much Chaplin love here! Makes me smile to know so many people aren't forgetting the good times of movie making.
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Plus this thread was a little buried in the pages!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebobsh (View Post)
So much Chaplin love here! Makes me smile to know so many people aren't forgetting the good times of movie making.
Speaking of movie making reminds me of another point I wanted to bring up: another thing I find very impressive about Chaplin is how he was involved in all facets of his movies - not only was he the star (and appeared in practically every scene of most of his movies) and did all his own stunts, he also directed and wrote/choreographed most of his 80+ films, produced many of them, and in later years he wrote the scores for his films, and even went back and wrote scores for some of his earlier, silent films. Plus, he not only invented the character of the Little Tramp, he also came up with the costume himself, which was so iconic I think even people today who have not seen a Chaplin movie would still recognize the costume.

There are certainly others who have done some combination of those things (in particular, it's not uncommon for comedians to write and/or direct their films), but few since have done all of those things for the same movie.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I didn't know he composed the films, too. That's so awesome to hear! I'm a fan of people knowing their history...even that of entertainment. Not to mention how important the films of Chaplin's time were to the story of the world.
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top