Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I saw it last week and liked it as well. I agree that Timothee deserves all the recognition.

Quote:
Both actors said they'd be up for a sequel and the writer said the end of the book would allow it. I assume the characters would meet again years later or something and resume an affair for a while. If that actually happens I will surely die.
It'll be interesting because the book covers about 20 years after the end of the movie. There are very few plot details, really.

It just shows them
Spoiler:

But in order to have a movie, they will have to add more plot and events. Reportedly, Luca has already asked Dakota Johnson to join the film. I wouldn't be surprised if she played
Spoiler:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Really? ^ That sounds super exciting if he's already talking about a sequel.

I would assume they would continue their affair possibly? Maybe the book writer would be up to write a little after chapter or something. idk.

Even if its years down the line I'd be happy with it. Armie and Timmy both said they'd come back if all the same people were involved so thats awesome.

I love Timothees friendship with the Armies as well, the are all so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing the sun (View Post)
I love your enthusiasm, Alexa.
I'm kind of obsessing right now, cant lie.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Really? ^ That sounds super exciting if he's already talking about a sequel.

I would assume they would continue their affair possibly? Maybe the book writer would be up to write a little after chapter or something. idk.

Even if its years down the line I'd be happy with it. Armie and Timmy both said they'd come back if all the same people were involved so thats awesome.

I love Timothees friendship with the Armies as well, the are all so sweet.

I'm kind of obsessing right now, cant lie.
I will say that---

Spoiler:

Have you read the book? Do you want details?
Old 12-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just finished it the other day! The ending was so sad for me because yeah, it didn't seem the affair continued even though they both clearly wanted it to.

I was annoyed it cut off where it did because I wanted to know what happened next but I guess that the beauty in it, people can kinda assume what they want?

Its probably best that they didnt try at a relationship after that summer because they were at such different places in their lives that it most likely wouldnt have lasted and it would have crumbled and they possibly would have come to be irritated with one another like most exes are. But instead, they are able to look back at their time together with a positive emotions and memories and always think of each other in high regards, which I think it nice.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah it's hard. On one hand, they could never capture what they had. It can only live in their memory. That's what a summer love is all about.

But then again, what if--what could their life look like together? Are they willing to sacrifice the memory of the past in which they can indulge in order to explore what they could be in a present or future.

But when Elio sees the postcard of Monet's Berm, he knows that he still means as much to Oliver as Oliver means to him.

I thought the end was wistful but apparently the author meant the possibilities to be more open than however I read it.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah it's hard. On one hand, they could never capture what they had. It can only live in their memory. That's what a summer love is all about.

But then again, what if--what could their life look like together? Are they willing to sacrifice the memory of the past in which they can indulge in order to explore what they could be in a present or future.

But when Elio sees the postcard of Monet's Berm, he knows that he still means as much to Oliver as Oliver means to him.

I thought the end was wistful but apparently the author meant the possibilities to be more open than however I read it.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

What do you mean more open? In what sense? Open like, that could have been their last interaction ever OR they could have continued something and it's up to the reader to decide? You felt it was a more definitive ending?

Quote:
I loved that moment so much, he had it framed. It was pretty clear how much he cared for Elio.

It was hard for me too because at least with the movie it ended in the winter that same year. So in my head I can imagine that maybe they did meet up again. But in the book, they wrote into the future so far and mapped out all the years they weren't together so it was a lot harder to read for me. i don't like thinking of them as older men and of Oliver who is married. Sad ending to me.

I was thinking I wouldnt mind a sequel of sorts where we saw some of those meetings from the book but we also got to see Elio in another relationship. But then I thought that might just taint what Oliver and Elio had a bit.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Congrats to this movie on its Golden Globe nominations!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
What do you mean more open? In what sense? Open like, that could have been their last interaction ever OR they could have continued something and it's up to the reader to decide? You felt it was a more definitive ending?
Yes. I thought that was going to be their last interaction. But maybe not?

The next sequel Luca would like to do would be set seven years into the future to align Elio with Timothee's actual age. But filmed in 2020.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

I cant remember if he said in the book it was their last meeting or not.

So he wants timothee/elio to be 24?

Dude please. 2020 yes, I can do that.

btw i made some icons in case anyone wanted to steal some for the future.

preview:

see them here
Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Those icons look amazing, Alexa!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I cant remember if he said in the book it was their last meeting or not.

So he wants timothee/elio to be 24?

Dude please. 2020 yes, I can do that.

btw i made some icons in case anyone wanted to steal some for the future.

preview:

see them here
Terrific icons! I don't know if he specifically cares about Elio's age but he did see it as a way to align the character and actor which is probably more important for the younger character than the older character.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:48 AM
Master Fan

Finally saw the movie the other day, it's just beautiful. How it was made and the story it tells. You actually feel the deep and pure love between them. It's definitely one of those kinds of movies that stays with you. I want to read the book now, I know there are a few difference between the book and the film and curious to see. Plus a more indept look at their story.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

TBH I dont care when/if they reunite, just that they do eventually.

I am glad Timothee and Armie are close because I think that helps with them wanting to do a sequel.

I advent rewatched this yet. I am saving a rewatch for a bit later on.

Quote:
Finally saw the movie the other day, it's just beautiful. How it was made and the story it tells. You actually feel the deep and pure love between them. It's definitely one of those kinds of movies that stays with you. I want to read the book now, I know there are a few difference between the book and the film and curious to see. Plus a more indept look at their story.
I bought the book immediately after I saw it and read it in like 3 days, it was so good. It had just a bit more detail and explained more about the scenes in the movie which I appreciated because it helped me understand certain scenes. And the film was very very similar to the book so that was nice.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great to hear so many raves about it!
Reply   Post New Thread