Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Boyz 'N' The Hood (1991) #1

I just bought this on DVD, couldn't wait till it came out, and i just want to say this is one of my all time favourite movies.
It just goes to show how bad it was living in South Central LA.
It is so sad when ricky dies. That scene at the end where he is running kills me all the time, and was one of those movies that really made me cry.
Im sure there are a lot of ppl out there who believe this is a really inspirational movie.
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Master Fan

good movie, I own the dvd too......

Yeah the ending when Ricky dies is so sad.....
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:45 AM
Dedicated Fan

uh I don't know if it inspirational (maybe I need to watch it again) but yeah cuba is hot and it is sad when Ricky dies..oh and it has a kick ass soundtrack.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Elite Fan

"either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about whats goin' on in the hood"

Doughboy dies shortly afterward.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Boyz N` The Hood is a timeless classic. It`s one of those movies that`s just deep as hell.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

I had this conversation with my friend about this movie, and ive seen Ice Cube in heaps of movies, and his portrayal of DoughBoy is so good, i think this is his best role ever, besides Friday (that was just hilarious). He just go into this character so much, it kind of reminds me of how Johnny Depp really gets into character for his roles.
So i just wanted to say Ice Cube did an excellent job with his character.
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Elite Fan

Boyz N the Hood was his first movie, and at the time, it wasn't much of a stretch. I like his movies, but starting out, he dind't have to act. In Boyz, Higher Learning, Friday, he was basically playing himself.

HE hasn't really evolved as an actor, but he's not the NWA gangbanger anymore. So he's trying to portray that more now.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Emily
Barstool Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

This is my favorite film EVER.
Really gripping and gritty.
Tells the story of 3 young black lads growing up in South Central LA trying to survive the mean streets involving drugs, killings, social deprivation, teenage pregnancies, single parents and flying helicopters at night. Cuba Gooding Jnr and Ice Cube were on top form and Laurence Fishburne deeerves a special mention for his role as Tre's father Furious Styles. This film had a real tragic ending that just rips your heart out. I thought John Singleton who made this film deserved all the plaudits in what he did here.
The soundtrack is awesome full of hiphop and R+B songs from the early 90s and what a way to start it with Ice Cube's very sarcastic track "How To Survive in South Central".
HipHopKingMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Elite Fan

Never watched this movie

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
~ Jis_Bon ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Jis_Bon ~ (View Post)
Never watched this movie
It depends if you like hood movies or not but it has received positive reviews by critics and was Academy Award-nominated - I would give it a go but be careful that there are a lot of bad language throughout the film. However, it is a powerful film with a very tragic ending

Last edited by HipHopKingMike; 01-10-2016 at 08:06 AM
Old 01-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to find it!

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
~ Jis_Bon ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Jis_Bon ~ (View Post)
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to find it!
There is another pretty similar film to this that came out in the same era called Menace II Society but it's more violent, a lot more swearing and a tragic ending too. The soundtrack is primarily hardcore early 90s hiphop. Jada-Pinkett-Smith and Samuel L Jackson were in this film.
I love both films but Boyz N The Hood is a lot less violent and is simply about people trying to make the best out of a situation in a rough neighborhood. The film is slow-paced in the first half but picks up rapidly in the second half (some of the scenes in the second half will be heart-wrenching)

Last edited by HipHopKingMike; 01-10-2016 at 08:07 AM
Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Master Fan

I like to bump this thread if you don't mind

I have watched this movie over 100 times and I love the acting of Ice Cube. You will see his character Doughboy crying at the end of the film before the credits roll. Losing his half brother Ricky played by Morris Chestnut was just heart breaking especially on the day when he got his SAT scores to send him to university and this tragedy happened due to altercation with rival gang members. That cryout by Tre (played by Cuba Gooding Jnr) just seconds before Ricky got shot was harrowing
Old 04-30-2019, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

2 days ago we lost John Singleton the director, writer who Received a Oscar nomination for the movie
Reply   Post New Thread