Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Loyal Fan

I love these films pretty equally. The first one is joyous, looser and carefree--which fits with the stage Jesse and Celine were at their lives. Before Sunset, on the other hand, is more thoughtful and filled with a greater sense of urgency/poignancy. The ending of Before Sunset is PERFECT.

I love the chemistry between Ethan and Julie. The films are my idea of romantic fantasy. I would love to be able to connect with someone on the level that they do. They really listen, engage and challenge one another. To me that's an expression of love more sincere than what we typically see in more mainstream films.

Judy

icon credit: skje
JudyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love these movies.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Loyal Fan

I've only seen the first one, is the second one any good?
hawaiian_beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm with you Judy. I love both pretty equally as well. I wasn't sure how the 2nd one would compare to the first one, but surprisingly it was really great in a totally different way from the first one. I think the roles were kind of reversed in the 2nd one which made it fascinating.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr
I sitll haven't seen them but I plan to at some point. I hear the first is better, though.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. Better in the sense that the discussion between the characters is truly fresh and they talk of things strangers talk about. You can remember conversations you've had that were JUST like that. Save for the whole romatic stuff. Or maybe with. Haha.

But Before Sunset one is more elegant, more grounded. The characters aren't strangers anymore because the met and fell in love 10 years earlier but they ARE strangers all over again because hell, it's been 10 years! They're no longer who they used to be, which makes it twice mysterious since they didn't know each other well and yet they have to deal with who they became.

They're more mature, more cautious, less idealistic, more cynical but still charmed with each other.

And the ending............ Ohhh, that ending is one for the ages.

I love both films the same. I'm so happy they were made, and made so beautifully.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Extreme Fan

I find both absolutely fabulous. They're so realistic, not constructeed, not like the typical love story. It's so real and you can really identify with it. Plus, fantastic acting, music, setting, light, cutting ... It's just perfect !
Xbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love both movies, in fact I saw them for the first time on the same day, I always saw bits of the first though. I think it was a wonderful couple/friendship analysis, the script is great.
sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Master Fan

Out of the two, I prefer Before Sunset. The whole concept of meeting someone on a train and having an instant connection with them is incredibly romantic to me. And then to find out that one of them didn't show up six months later and to see how their lives turned out was brilliant on the part of the director, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy. One of my favorite scenes is when Jesse says to Celine on the Seine (I think that is the river the boat was on), "Why weren't you there that day?" The anguish in his voice said it all. And then when Celine flips out on the drive back to her apartment was perfect. For the entire film, she had been very carefree and happy, so it was refreshing to see something else from her. I read somewhere that there was talk about a possible third installment of the film. Has anyone else heard this?
Lonely Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

There has been no official word on a third installment...

But if there is I think it should be another 10 years or so -- in real time -- Because I think the next chapter, assuming they end up together at the end of Before Sunset, would be they are married and have kids and are in their 40s, yet they still have doubts about themselves and everything else (parenthood; lost opportunities; etc.) because this would be a natural progression of how real people evaluate their lives as they get older. They regret certain aspects, but geneally are happy they have a loving family and it is then all about their children and their children's futures as corny and mushy as this sounds.

I don't think we should see another one in less than 10 years for precisely these reasons because then it brings the series full circle if they rediscover each other again... Even though they have physically found each other and are together.

I definitely think the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset series is all about where you are in your life when you watch either movie.

If you are in your 20s, Before Sunrise is going to be the more relevant film. If you are in your 30s, Before Sunset is going to ring more true and that is what I love about the films. They literally have more relevance the older you get which most films never do. This is why I hope they do a third one when they are in their 40s because for people like myself and other GenX/Yers it will be nice to have a series which accurately reflects the realities (within reason) of some of the issues most people face as they mature and grow older with time.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Elite Fan

I saw "Before Sunrise" when I was 15 or 16, maybe younger.. But when I saw it again at 19 I understood it more. Now, I'm 22 and it does get better the older I get.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Master Fan

I saw Before Sunrise years and years ago when I was in my teens and couldn't truly appreciate it for what it was. I ended up watching Before Sunrise when it first came out on DVD and just fell in love with who these characters had become. Of course, this made me go and rent Before Sunrise so I could get a better understanding of how these characters ended up where they were and why they felt the things they did.

One of my favorite moments from both films is when Jesse is speaking at the bookstore about his book, and a lady asks him if he met up with Celine six months later ... then he goes into how a romantic would believe that they did and a cynic would believe that they didn't.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Addicted Fan

I've only seen Before Sunset...and without having even seen the first film, I still absolutely love it. Easily my favourite romance film . The filmaking is brilliant...and the fact that it is a love story with no kissing etc, simply two people walking and talking, makes it all the more better...you can feel the love between the two characters without them needing to do anything but walk side by side on screen. Everything about the film is so real, and yet, at the same time so magical.
You definately have to watch this one if you haven't seen it yet .
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Master Fan

Oh, I've watched both before and I absolutely loved both. I watched Before Sunset before Before Sunrise, and while I wouln't really recommend doing that, I loved Before Sunset the first time I watched it. They're different - Before Sunrise is more idealistic, more romantic, while Before Sunset is more guarded, more cynical. But both are very natural - the conversations in both are exactly what you'd expect between two people, it's very realistic, and that's what makes both movies as lovely as they are. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are just perfect, and you can see their life experiences changing them from the first to the second movie. The conversations are intelligent, funny, and you (or at least I do) feel so lucky to be able to take part in them.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Master Fan

So, what do you guys think happened after Jesse missed his flight in Before Sunset?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapraleif
The conversations are intelligent, funny, and you (or at least I do) feel so lucky to be able to take part in them.
This is the key to these films.

A lot of movies, romantic or not, often force contrived dialogue simply to move the story forward. In Before Sunrise/Sunset, the dialogue IS the story.

The deeper reason this is the writers -- Both Ethan Hawke and Juli Delphi helped co-write Before Sunset with Richard Linklater -- Take topics EVERYONE can relate to (or will at some point in their life) and present varied, universal points of view.

For instance, the whole conversation in the cab on the way to Celine's house where she breaks down.

It seems cliched at first -- No one loves her; She's the cynical ex-girlfriend guys never ask to marry -- But there is a huge part of this that anyone, both male AND female can relate to because no matter what you do (or will at some point) there will come a time when you feel no one loves you and more importantly, you are the only one who is going through these kinds of feelings (which is wrong). This is a universal "life moment" that reaches across racial, ethnic, religious, gender, societal and cultral boundries and speaks to people as human beings and is part of the human condition.

This, being able to choose the most universal AND age-relevant conversations for the film(s), is what I admire most about this series. As stated, other films try and pull this off, but they end up sounding contrived and as if they are trying to hard to be "deep" and "meaningful" whereas Before Sunrise/Sunset it comes naturally and the films are better for it.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top