Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Master Fan

Oh so I watched it, and you're right, it's fantastic I'm sure it'd've been better if I had watched Before Sunrise before that, but I knew enough background to know what's roughly going on. There isn't that much reference to the first. I like the dialogue. Ethan and Julie have a nice chemistry

Old 11-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

I've just seen a week ago, 'cause in italy went out last week, and all i have to say is that it was perfect, i waited 9 years for watching a sequel, i've seen Before Sunrise like hundred times and i always thought about "what a about a sequel" and then 9 years after here it is, oh my gosh, watching the trailer i had high expectative but not as much the movie was, it was perfect, and i loooooved every single part of it, and what about the finale? Perfect!!
mysocalledlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Elite Fan

So, I don't know if I've told this story in this forum but I for the longest time, since I was like 13-14 (I'm now 21) I've had this odd obsession with Before Sunrise. But not a typical obsession.

I saw the movie once and just never forgot it, like everyday I saw the characters in my head or remembered the settings but I never watched it again. Two years ago I sat down, watched the movie and I was back in that "state"...then the news of Before Sunset shocks me.

I was in heaven. I was even nervous about watching it because it meant so much, especially that I wasn't 13 anymore, and neither were the characters in their early 20's. It was an experience, I'll tell you.

I loved the ending.. I felt cheated at first but right after I loved it. It was absolutely perfect.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:12 AM
Addicted Fan

I have never seen Before Sunrise until early on this year (I was only 8 when it originally came out). When I saw it, I loved it and was thrilled to know that there was a sequel coming out later this year. I don't know why I loved it, considering I have never experienced a lot of the emotions covered by the film and its characters, but I did. When Before Sunset came out, I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters. I've been trying to see it, but when I do have the time and money (most of these times are with my friends), I ended up watching another movie because I couldn't convince my friends the brilliance of Before Sunrise. In short, I didn't see it until last night when I had some alone time at home.

I'm so glad I finally got to see it. At first, I was scared that I would be disappointed because I just loved the first one. This film was a bit slow at some points, but it was still captivating. I found myself always want to know more about these characters. The scene I loved the most has got to be when they were in the car. It was so emotional, but Ethan and Julie potrayed their characters and dialogues so naturally. The ending, the subtle self-revelation that Jesse had at the end, was a perfect touch.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

what do you think ... they stayed togheter this time or not? I would like to think so, it was obvious they were still in love, oh my i love this movie to death!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Loyal Fan

I had to search through the "archives" to find this thread, but I'm more than happy to resuscitate it.

I remember seeing Before Sunrise years ago but I think I was simply too young to appreciate it. It moved so slowly, and at the time (16-17?) I just couldn't relate.

However, my older brother immediately loved Before Sunrise, and since Before Sunset had gotten such glowing reviews, he encouraged me to watch the movies. What a difference 10 years makes! I fell in love with the characters and the conversations were so realistic, intelligent and insightful. (Hearing them talk about reality TV was funny!) Before Sunrise felt like a realistic romantic fantasy.

Before Sunset was even better, IMO. They still felt like the same Jesse and Celine, only wiser and more world weary. They've made significant choices in their lives, and could draw more closely onto personal experience. The dialogue felt more natural (probably b/c Ethan and Julie shared the writing credits with Richard Linklater), as did the acting. As a person now in her late 20s, I could relate to the sense of mised opportunities and what ifs. And the ending was PERFECT.

Before Sunset is the best movie I had seen in quite awhile. It was romantic but far above "romantic comedies" (and I watch those too). I really appreciated that it has personal significance for Julie and Ethan, and that Before Sunset was made outside of purely economical reasons.

Sorry that this is so long...
Judy

icon credit: skje
JudyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

There is also another Before Sunset thread here for the DVD release as well.

I too love this film *cough, avatar, cough* for precisely the same reasons you mentioned above about how real these characters are and that what they discuss are REAL issues that people in their 20s and 30s experience. No other film(s) have ever been this "real" -- And probably why Hollywood never makes them because they figure no one wants to go to a movie about "real life" -- But that is what makes these films have such a devoted following.

I hope they do a third one just to finish out the trilogy. Especially, since Ethan and Julie are now dating in real life and Ethan is divorced from Uma Thurman and has kids. Talk about life imitating art and vice versa...
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
There is also another Before Sunset thread here for the DVD release as well.

I too love this film *cough, avatar, cough* for precisely the same reasons you mentioned above about how real these characters are and that what they discuss are REAL issues that people in their 20s and 30s experience. No other film(s) have ever been this "real" -- And probably why Hollywood never makes them because they figure no one wants to go to a movie about "real life" -- But that is what makes these films have such a devoted following.

I hope they do a third one just to finish out the trilogy. Especially, since Ethan and Julie are now dating in real life and Ethan is divorced from Uma Thurman and has kids. Talk about life imitating art and vice versa...
Hi USM, I love your avatar.

Hollywood seems to either sugar coat things, or over dramatize. Even Garden State (which you mentioned in the other Before Sunset thread)--it was slick, and I liked the movie a lot, the performances, Natalie Portman's in particular. But for me it seemed like it was trying to say something about a generation, more than it actually DID. And the ending was, unfortunately, contrived.

I love that even though it looks like Jesse and Celine will take a chance at a relationship, they have to deal with some messy issues (Jesse's wife and son, Celine's photographer boyfriend, where to live, etc.)

I didn't realize that Ethan and Julie are dating IRL. That's so cool. Jesse and Celine aside, they seem like a great match, a meeting of minds. In a way, I am afraid of another movie b/c Before Sunset was so incredible. But people thought the same thing after watching the first movie, and the sequel exceeded expectations.

Have you seen Waking Life? I haven't but apparently they have a cameo in that film.

BTW, here is a link to a press conference they did (it's in Windows Media, I think). A reporter even asks him about Uma.

http://62.153.249.21/Ondemand/berlin...en_300.wmv.asx

Judy

Old 04-30-2005, 05:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

yeah there was a cameo of Jesse/Ethan and Celine/Julie in Waking Life, but it was too short, lol!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyC
Have you seen Waking Life? I haven't but apparently they have a cameo in that film.
hi....i saw 'waking life' when it was first released in a theater.....'waking life' was filmed in live action then animated with a mac computer......the film is about the meaning, perception, and reality of human existence.....it's reallly a good film......and if you love animation, as much as i do, then you might like it...
....the scene between jesse and celine in 'waking life' was taken from 'before sunrise' because it fits so well into 'waking life'....i can't remember the scene that well because it's been years since i've seen either film...but as i remeber it their talking about getting older and looking back on their lives and wondering if i was worth livinging...if it had meaning....

below is a movie picture postcard i picked up at the theater, when i saw it, that shows the scene were talking about....enjoy........

btw it's great to see that more and more people are starting to see this film now since it's release on dvd.....

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for that postcard and info, Mukooh

I just wanted to add another reason why I like both of these films and why they have such a huge following is because a lot of times, films, both mainstream and indie, try and be "intellectual" and have the characters talk about "life"... But all it is are discussions of pop-culture references and they substitute that for "growing up" and characterization a lot of times.

I think the fact Before Sunrise and Before Sunset discuss very real and surprisingly universal topics that are relevant not just to Jesse and Celine's generation (Gen X), but everyone as they mature is what appeals to a lot of people on a lot of different levels and something a lot of film makers could take a cue from if they are intent on making generation-specific movies that supposedly make "statements" about a particular group. It's surprising how many other film makers don't understand this, but insist they do... But this is why no other film series has gained such a cult-following as BS and BSunset in my opinion if we are going to get right down to it.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Loyal Fan

A friend of mine watched BS/BS two days ago, presumably because I kept going on and on about the films, and because I had put Julie Delpy on my own 50 Most Beautiful People list. (Yeah, I made my own list, b/c I'm a geek. ) This friend is in her early 20's, so I was curious about what she would think. She loved Before Sunrise, but expressed disappointment that, in Before Sunset, Jesse and Celine didn't kiss and that the ending didn't have a clear resolution. I thought it was funny, b/c those two things are part of why I loved the film! They don't kiss, and most of their interaction is just talking--but it's sexier than most movies I've seen. But what I appreciate most is that Before Sunrise/Sunset are as much about celebrating life, regrets and recognizing missed opportunities as they are a mere love story.

Judy

Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Elite Fan

There were two different threads for this movie so I decided to merge them.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset

These two movies starring Ethan Hawke as Jesse and Julie Delpy as Celine are two of my all time favorite movies.

The concepts are so simple and its mostly just listening to a conversation but I find the dialogue so capitvating. Does anyone else like these movies?

Last edited by *CarlyBabes*; 06-05-2006 at 12:23 AM
*CarlyBabes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

I sitll haven't seen them but I plan to at some point. I hear the first is better, though.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread