Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Master Fan

Shwaz has it down - and yes, you're allowed to talk about all things Australian, including Australian actors (directors, etc.) in films considered non-Aussie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It just isn't a place to chat about things non-Australian, in general - we have the Movie Club thread for that (which you should all feel free to join us on!).

Okay? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hmm...I haven't seen a couple of those films - the fish and chips war one sounds kind of fun, actually...

So no one has seen Lantana? Even though the lead is played by an American actor with a not-so-great accent, most of the rest of the cast is Australian, it takes place in Australia, and it's sort of a drama/thriller. It was really good and intense, and I totally recommend it.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
So no one has seen Lantana? Even though the lead is played by an American actor with a not-so-great accent, most of the rest of the cast is Australian, it takes place in Australia, and it's sort of a drama/thriller. It was really good and intense, and I totally recommend it.
that actor would be anthony lapaglia....another film from australia, starring the same actor is 'the bank' which i saw in a theater too....gosh shrrshrr are we the only non australians that watch australian films?

This is an Australian suspense thriller about a mathematician, Jim Doyle, who develops a new theory based on chaos analysis that will enable a user to predict just about anything. A senior banking executive, Simon O'Reilly, gets a hold of the news and hires Jim to work for them, to develop a system that will predict financial markets.

Jim is altruistic - he wants to predict market collapses so that regular people can react in time. Simon sees a way to get rich. Simon is also one of those Gordan Gecko types who sees himself as part of the new feudal lords of capitalism, a member of the elite whose duty he sees as crushing the opposition.

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Love and adore Naomi Watts and Miranda Otto [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And Hugh Jackman [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]

Suddenly the only other Aussie film I can think of is Bush Christmas [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I mean the original, haven't seen the remake. Anyone who wants a nice comfortable flick should check it out. John McCallum is the narrator and damn he has a sexy voice [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by mukooh:
<STRONG>oh goodie.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]....a thread for discussing australian films....i kind of liked 'love serenade' from a few years ago....</STRONG>
I've only seen part of Love Serenade. Started watching it when it was on TV here not too long ago but I couldn't really get into it. I'll have to get my hands on a copy so I can watch the whole thing though.

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>The Castle</STRONG>
I heard that that movie wasn't too sucessful outside Australia because no one really got the humour. I guess that's understandable, but it's a shame more people didn't go and see it. It's a great movie. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Have you seen The Dish? It's made by the same people who made The Castle, so if you liked that, then you'll probably enjoy The Dish, too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Moulin Rouge is on tonight. I think I'm just about the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it yet. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'll probably watch it tonight though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-06-2004: Message edited Phee ]
Old 03-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Phee:
<STRONG>

Moulin Rouge is on tonight. I think I'm just about the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it yet. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'll probably watch it tonight though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

</STRONG>
I loved Moulin Rouge. It was so good and sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Let us know whether you liked it or not, cos it's one of those movies you either love or hate, and I know a lot of people with similar tastes to me who didn't like it at all.
How to Annoy People #31:
Do not add any inflection to the end of your sentences, producing awkward silences with the impression that you'll be saying more any moment.
Shwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I really dislike Moulin Rouge. I always skip to the songs, because the plot doesn't really interest me. I loved Chicago though, so...
Old 03-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Addicted Fan

I haven't seen Moulin Rouge either. I just never thought it looked that great. But a lot of people have told me to watch it and I trust their judgement and I always said I would watch it when it came on TV [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] so I'm going to give it a go tonight [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Passionate Fan

I'm a huge fan of Muriel's Wedding and Strictly Ballroom. They just have that lovely feel good factor when you've finished watching them.

The last Australian film I watched was 'Dead Letter Office'. I wanted to see it since Miranda Otto was in it. I still have'nt finished watching it but I liked what I saw.

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Elite Fan

Looking For Alibrandi is on Saturday...channel 9 [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

shrrshrr [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] cool, thanks
*blush* I've never heard of "Lantana", is it new? I may not be release yet

I almost got the "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" dvd today *eek* it was on sale

Profaine Angel - "Bush Christmas"...I think I've heard of that movie
Is it about a little boy who thinks this old man who lives in the bush, "father christmas" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] and the little boy saves a baby fox and he thinks he's getting christmas presents on christmas day?

Shannon - I didn't like Moulin Rouge [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

p&j =true luv - I have the movie, it's awesome

Also some news [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nicole Kidman's Australian movie is coming out now
Movie link. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited Crazy_D+J_Fan ]
Old 03-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Addicted Fan

I adore Moulin Rouge (Ewan McGregor, sigh) and absolutely loathe Chicago with the fire of a billion suns, my friend and I were so disgusted when we went to see it in the theatres, the only reason we stayed was because we wanted to see whether or not Roxie was going to killed or not - really, we should've stuck to the original plan and watched Two Weeks Notice, anything is better than Chicago. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Ahem. Back to Aussie films. As I was saying, I love MR though I saw nor heard anything about it when they were filming here years ago, which annoys me because I probably could have seen some of the stars. Star Wars and The Matrix trilogy have also filmed in my city and I haven't seen anything which sucks because The Matrix is my absolute fave movie ever, I get such a kick when I watch it because I'm always like "OMG! They're walking across Martin Place! There's the fountain! I see the Dymocks store in the background!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I also love Finding Nemo, which is also set in Sydney - really, I reckon it's a theme. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] MR, The Matrix and Nemo, all involving Sydney. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Looking For Alibrandi is one of my favourite books and the movie is also very good, though the sequence is a little different than the book though. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] The Castle is a fantastic movie, I never get tired of watching it, it never fails to crack me up. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Erin, from TWOP.
loquacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_D+J_Fan:
<STRONG>*blush* I've never heard of "Lantana", is it new? I may not be release yet </STRONG>
Lantana came out a couple years ago *checks imdb* 2001, but I never saw it. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Quote:
<STRONG>Also some news [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nicole Kidman's Australian movie is coming out now
Movie link. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I saw a review of that DVD a week or so ago and wondered what Nicole thinks of it being released. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*coconut ice*~:
<STRONG>I get such a kick when I watch it because I'm always like "OMG! They're walking across Martin Place! There's the fountain! I see the Dymocks store in the background!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] Unfortunately they don't make a habit of shooting movies up here in Brissie, so I can't do the same thing, but I probably would if I could. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Actually, they did shoot the Inspector Gadget sequel here in Brisbane. Don't know that that's anything to brag about though. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

So I have now seen Moulin Rouge, and my head is still spinning! Man, I was exhausted after the first 10 minutes. They don't waste any time getting into the big song and dance numbers, do they? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I now wish I'd seen this one on the big screen. Yup, I liked it alot. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It jumped around a bit in places, but considering the type of movie it is, I think it worked well. Though one thing is for sure, inside Baz Luhrmann's head must be a wonderfully crazy place for him to come up with a movie like that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I also had to laugh to myself while I was watching, because MR is one of my father-in-law's fave movies (I believe he's got a thing for Nicole), and he's one of those people who's all anti this "horrible mordern pop music rubbish". I wonder if he realises that pretty much all the songs in his fave movie are just re-worked versions of "horrible modern pop music rubbish" songs. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I esp loved "Like A Virgin" MR style. That was just brilliant! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited Phee ]
Old 03-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

i thought 'lantana' was worth the watch.....

but has anyone seen 'the hard word'?....i passed on it a couple of years ago...i'm just wondering if i should revisit it now?

since this is an australian movie thread...i'd like to briefly mention 2 actors that are considered "australian actresses" even though they weren't born in australia....the first one is naomi watts, who was born in england....again i can't help but mention her brilliant performance in '21 grams' (and also 'mulholland drive')...

and the other actress is nicole kidman who was born in honolulu, hawaii....i also enjoyed nicole in 'moulin rouge'.....recently i saw the trailer for 'dogville' at an "art house" theater that i go to alot...it's directed by lars von trier who also directed 'dancer in the dark' (with björk in the title role)...it looks interesting and i plan on seeing in the next couple of weeks when it's released.....do you quicktime? trailer for 'dogville' is here

"making films soley for entertainment is like making soup with only one ingredient"

***edited to include the trailer for 'dogville'

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited mukooh ]
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Passionate Fan

I saw The Hard Word purely to see Joel Edgerton about a year ago [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] and I fell asleep [img]smilies/yawn.gif[/img] I found it very boring.

My friend saw Dogville and she loved it. It sounds like it was really interesting, but it's stopped playing where I am so I have to wait for video release.
How to Annoy People #31:
Do not add any inflection to the end of your sentences, producing awkward silences with the impression that you'll be saying more any moment.
Shwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_D+J_Fan:
<STRONG>Profaine Angel - "Bush Christmas"...I think I've heard of that </STRONG>

Different movie altogether! It's about a bunch of kids in the bush (...) who track down some horse thieves just in time for Christmas. It's very cute [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Reply   Post New Thread