Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

nice question I would love to know Cat's name as well
Old 05-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Tiny bit of a correction (because I work as a print editor and wouldn't have a job if I weren't a perfectionist about spelling, although I've written a few doozies in my time), the designer was named Hubert de Givenchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless romantic (View Post)
Did you know that the greatest Parisian Fashionita who has ever existed, first met Audrey Hepburn when she was very much an inginue, and that, when the appointment came through with his secretary, he thought that she might have been related to Katherine Hepburn....
She became his muse, and that he designed all of her clothes from the day that she was sent to him by the producers of Sabrina (if you haven't seen the original, please, please, please buy the DVD from Amazon.com ASAP -- there's one gown alone -- those of you who know which one thereof I speak, say no more!!!) that deserves to go down in the history of fashion from now and always forever... and that he has been rumored to have clothed her from head to toe as his design inspiration for the rest of her life ... for free?!?

Go to Wikipedia... and you'll find out about the House of Givenchy.... and you'll learn quite a bit about why he considered her to be the greatest model of his clothes that ever existed.

Better yet, although Hubert de Givenchy is no longer with us, (nor is my favorite actress.. . Audrey Hepburn), her movies are timeless and will only ever win converts throughout the ages to her sense of style, her innate sweetness, and -- if you do just a little bit more research into the tragedies she saw first-hand as a child living in Brussels under Nazi rule, then discover how she became the first UNICEF Children's Ambassador, the story of an almost-royal turned woman-who-hugged-starving-children-in-Ethiopia's-worst-famine might... just might... bring a moistening to your tired, post-shockable Internet-viewing eyes.

(Oh, yeah, and she was such a good actress that, in her first big film, Roman Holiday, her big-name co-star, Gregory Peck (himself a bit of a nice person!!!) refused to take first billing but insisted that he would only take second billing if first billing on all of the ads for the movie (movie posters included, since that was unquestionably the era of amazing movie posters as ways to bring audiences to the theaters!!!) gave "Introducing Audrey Hepburn" the starring role.
hopeless romantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

Today is Audrey's birthday! Happy Birthday to the classiest lady of all time!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Addicted Fan

I had a slideshow on my old laptop of things that Audrey had to say about beauty (maybe someone here still has access to it?!? -- it was in .wvg, so it's... not supported anymore by my current devices):

It said things like how a smile was the sort of gift that was free, but also that it paid dividends in the smiles one receives in return.

It said things like how a smile from a child (particularly one suffering -- and only God knows just how many smiles she received from children who were on the verge of starvation!!!) was like a gift from God, so that returning such a smile made her feel like she was beautiful in ways that the Red Carpet never could.

She was born into nobility (on her mother's side), into poverty (because of Hitler), into grace (because she used ballet to escape the privations of starvation and poverty under Hitler), but, most of all, I think she was born into a sense of Grace that comes from the farthest reaches of the ether, and that film merely captured moments in her life as a way of encouraging the rest of us to love our own "funny face."
Old 05-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 05-21-2018, 03:22 AM
Addicted Fan

This is unquestionably TMI for me to feel comfortable saying this, but I know precisely how her little black dress differed from any before or ever since, and it (just to make it sound as boring as possible, lol) all has to do with how the facing around her neck took the place of bust darts, which was only possible for her because she... wasn't busty....

She had the perfect proportions for Hubert de Givenchy to have chosen her as his fashion muse, since she had an hourglass figure that didn't have enough of a bust to cause trouble with the darts (and, unless you are top-heavy, you won't understand why that can be a problem, but I've sewn for both, and it's a heck of a lot easier, which explains why it's easier to buy ready-to-wear if you're not busty)....

And then he went on to design almost every single piece of clothing in which she was a leading lady... up until the female successor to his "house" decided to wear a bateau-necked wedding gown for a royal wedding....

But Megan doesn't quite have Audrey's shoulders from Funny Face, (plus there was an emphasis on... discretion for a royal wedding?!? so it seems as though (watch the actual movie to see Audrey in a gorgeous lace gown with a bateau neckline that isn't being constantly referenced) (but I'm actually thinking of the dress she wore for her photoshoot as a bride, which seems to have become verboten online, lol, now that it's so relevent) that Megan went for a look that was almost funny in terms of how her kimono-shaped sleeves revealed almost none of her shoulder-blades....

But, please, just don't let me get started on that gorgeous gown from Sabrina, since I don't think I've ever seen anything more beautiful -- and I embroider, but that gown was so far beyond Haute Couture that I simply don't have words for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrin...rn-Sabrina.jpg

let alone how the skirt hugged her hips, with the back peplum of hand-embroidered fabric making her look like a goddess....

I kinda tend to like to gulp down embarrassing amounts of photos of gorgeous clothes made with the sort of fabulous silks, satins, and beautiful linens, cottons, and the woolens she tended to wear as though they were "normal" clothes for her, but, given that I also embroider, I know that her clothes didn't just look good because they fitted her perfectly: they fitted her perfectly because the artists who made them for her fitted them to her perfectly.

So here's to a new princess, who will probably want to set her own standards of beauty, but... isn't that what every woman should strive for?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn_19032002 (View Post)
Here's the article

For Immediate Release
26 July 2006
Iconic dress from Breakfast At Tiffany’s goes under
the hammer for charity At Christie’s South Kensington
Black dress by Hubert de Givenchy, Breakfast at Tiffany’s 1961
Estimate: £50,000-70,000
Film and Entertainment
Tuesday 5 December, 2pm
Christie’s South Kensington
South Kensington – Christie’s is proud to announce a rare opportunity to own an
iconic piece of cinematic history. Leading this year’s Film and Entertainment sale
at Christie’s South Kensington on 5th December is a sleek black Givenchy dress made
for Audrey Hepburn in the much-loved 1961 classic film, Breakfast at Tiffany’s. This
infamous dress, which immediately became an example of timeless refinement and
elegance, has an estimate of £50,000-70,000 and is being auctioned on behalf of the
charity City of Joy Aid, which benefits the under-privileged in India.
The dress was personally donated to the current owners, Monsieur and Madame Lapierre
by Hubert de Givenchy, who designed Audrey Hepburn’s wardrobe for the film. The
opening sequence became one of the most powerful images from the film, as Hepburn
emerged from a cab onto a deserted early morning 5th Avenue – a glamorous, gamine
figure in an elegant black dress, peering wistfully into the window of Tiffany’s and eating
her breakfast from a brown paper bag. It was this appearance as Holly Golightly that
sealed Audrey Hepburn’s international fame and the success of the film has been
timeless, watched again and again by millions. This year marks the 45th anniversary of
the film, and a special DVD has been released to commemorate it.
City of Joy Aid’s founders Monsieur and Madame Lapierre will donate the proceeds of
the sale to their organisation. Based in Calcutta, City of Joy Aid was set up by the
Lapierres in 1981, following a meeting with Mother Theresa. It is dedicated to helping
the poorest of the poor through a network of clinics, schools, rehabilitation centres and
hospital boats. The Lapierres personally absorb all overhead expenses and, relying totally
on donations, have supported the work of over 1,000 social workers, doctors, nurses,
physical therapists and educators. They have contributed to the rescue, shelter and
rehabilitation of over 4 million patients suffering from tuberculosis, cholera, leprosy and
other diseases which exist under the shadow of poverty. It is hoped that the sale of the
dress will not only raise public awareness of the charity, but also to realize one of the
Lapierres’ main priorities; to establish a trust to provide an annual revenue to continue to
help them make a big difference to thousands of lives.
Audrey Hepburn was born Audrey Kathleen Hepburn-Ruston in Brussels, Belgium on
4th May 1929. Daughter of Joseph Hepburn-Ruston, a British Banker and Ella van
Heemstra, a Dutch Baroness, she was educated in the UK and trained in dance by the
infamous Marie Rambert, who also trained Vaslav Nijinski. She made her stage debut as
a chorus girl in 1948, in High Button Shoes at London’s Hippodrome. She was awarded
an Oscar for “Best Actress in a leading role” for her performance in Roman Holiday in
1953 and it was during this year that she began a lifelong friendship with Hubert de
Givenchy. In her later life, she became known for her humanitarian work, becoming
Unicef’s Goodwill Ambassador in 1988. Following Audrey’s death in 1993, The Audrey
Hepburn Childrens’ Fun in Los Angeles was set up to continue her work.
Notes to Editors:
Public Viewing Days:
Saturday 2 December through to Tuesday 5 December
Public Auction:
Christie’s South Kensington, Wednesday 14 December 2004 at 2pm
85 Old Brompton Road
London SW7 3LD
Public Enquiries: 020 7930 6074 / www.christies.com
Opening hours at Christie’s South Kensington:
• Monday 9am – 7.30pm
• Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5pm
• Saturday and Sunday 10am to 4pm
Christie’s South Kensington is the first international auction house in London to offer
regular weekend auctions.
Film and Entertainment Memorabilia at Christie’s
In the last two decades, Christie's has sold memorabilia ranging from Bette Davis'
Academy Award for Jezebel to the sled from Citizen Kane. Most recently in June 2005,
Christie’s New York auctioned The Personal Property of Marlon Brando which totaled
$2,378,300 and set a new world auction record for any film script with Marlon Brando’s
working script for The Godfather, 1972 which sold for $312,800. Exceptional prices have
included $666,000 for Dorothy's Ruby Slippers from The Wizard of Oz film and
$1,267,500 for Marilyn Monroe's "Happy Birthday Mr. President" Dress. Christie's holds
annual entertainment memorabilia sales in South Kensington, London and New York.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

love the RH gif!

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Jen's Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was the perfect movie
Old 05-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

My favorite Hepburn movie and performance: Wait Until Dark

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like that one too, even though there are some questionable loopholes.

It would be scary for her alright in that position. And the villain was pretty merciless!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Alan Arkin was incredible and Audrey was very believable as a blind person. The whole movie centralized the claustrophobic atmosphere so well.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

Wait Until Dark is AMAZING! It is one of Audrey's best performances.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandHrShipper1 (View Post)
Wait Until Dark is AMAZING! It is one of Audrey's best performances.

Absolutely agree I love that the whole movie is based around her sense that something's not quite right, and her build-up in confidence.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

sadly, i have never seen Wait Until Dark. can you believe that?! for some reason, i have always been drawn to her 50s and 60s career, and forget about that one. i shall add it to my summer to-do list. sorry, Audrey.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Jen's Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Have you seen it yet?

Don't forget to vote for Audrey Hepburn in the polls

Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread