Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (2007) #1

Well, I saw this excellent film back on November 3rd and I still cannot get it out of my mind. The acting, direction, and script are all flat out amazing. However, the real star here is the cinematography. Roger Deakins, the cinematographer, handled this film beautifully. I was mesmerized the entire 160 minutes of the film. For me I give this film a 10/10
Starring: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, and Sam Rockwell
Directed by: Andrew Dominick
Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks so much for starting the thread! Everyone is raving about this!

I really want to see this but my local theaters don't have it. I don't see it in their schedule, either.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR (View Post)
Thanks so much for starting the thread! Everyone is raving about this!

I really want to see this but my local theaters don't have it. I don't see it in their schedule, either.
Yes, I know what you mean. It originally only came out on Sep. 21st in only five theaters! And at its peak it only reached 313 theaters (now it's back down to 30). It's a miracle that it showed up at my local theater. The owner has no idea what films to play. Anyway, the film is fantastic and I hope you and anyone else that wants to see it gets a chance to. Maybe it will get a wider release when Oscar season rolls around. It comes out on DVD February 5th.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Passionate Fan

the Cinematography in this movie was BEAUTIFUL. just gorgeous.

and Brad gave a very good performance.

not one of my favorite movies this year. but still a good one.
ash515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash515 (View Post)
the Cinematography in this movie was BEAUTIFUL. just gorgeous.

and Brad gave a very good performance.

not one of my favorite movies this year. but still a good one.
I can understand that, but it's definitely the best film of the year in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

They are playing this at one of my local theaters so I think I might give it a look.
Jacie515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacie515 (View Post)
They are playing this at one of my local theaters so I think I might give it a look.
Yes, definitely give this one a look.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Banned

thank you for sharing
lamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

I'm so thrilled, I just checked one of the theaters I attend and they have the movie right now.

I will try my best to go this weekend or next week!!

edited: I missed the movie, it was taken down the same week I found out about it.

Last edited by ROCKSTAR; 12-31-2007 at 08:45 PM
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm going to see this film in the next few days. I HAVE to. It just looks brilliant. The trailer is just so great to get you pumped up about seeing it. I can already tell the cinematography will be one of the stand out features of the film, along obviously with the superb acting. Cannot wait.
jbarrett777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

I feel sorry for all those that didn't have the chance to see this film. Although No Country For Old Men is my favorite film of the year now, The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford is still a close second.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

Finally seen the film! Well, what can i say, it's a brilliant film, a beautiful piece of film making. I cannot really look to a poor point in how it was made. The cinematography is breath-taking, well made, amazing acting by Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt. The music used fits the genre and the scenes used, to the point you couldn't imagine the scene with that exact piece of music.

Only down-side possibly was the narrative, which did skip in places.

Oh and if Casey Affleck doesn't win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor then there is no justice.
jbarrett777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett777 (View Post)
Oh and if Casey Affleck doesn't win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor then there is no justice.
I want him to win, too, but I think Javier Bardem will for No Country for Old Men

I saw The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford today (it was fun to type out everything). It was great! I loved the acting. It was superb. Casey Affleck was Bob Ford; he was compelling, he drew you in so that every scene without him felt flatter. Casey outshone Brad Pitt - but that's not to say Brad was bad, no. Brad was good. His Jesse James was charismatic, menacing, instable, volatile - you could see why men were attracted to him and yet scared ****less by him. But Casey's Bob Ford just had this desperation that grabs your attention, somehow. Towards the end you knew that Jesse James had to die. Bob Ford knew it, Jesse James knew it - the last moments of them together were mesmerising and the acting was spot on.

And the rest of the movie was excellent as well. The cinematography - if Roger Deakin doesn't win, I will throw a fit - was stunning. Such open spaces that might make a man feel so small. In particular the Coward (the movie perfectly showed how inconsequential he was made to feel), and Casey's acting was spot on. It made his "I've been nothing all my life ... you bet I won't spoil it" (can't remember the words) speech haunting. Okay, I'm sorry for harping on Casey Affleck so much, but that's how much his performance moved me.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Obsessed Fan

i saw 'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' almost 3 months ago in a theater.....the cinematography is breathtaking...and deserving of an academy awards nomination and win....so is the best supporting actor nomination for casey affleck.....surprisingly what a lot of people are failing to notice is the performance by brad pitt as "jesse james"......imo it's one of his best performances in years....

off topic if you haven't seen 'gone baby gone' with casey affleck i would recomend that you do.....in a way it has a similar theme to it...it's about a man who takes a great risk and suffers dire consequences.....it features another terrific performance by casey....
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Master Fan

Exactly. Brad Pitt's Jesse James is really good and he should get more credit for it (I think his pretty face really distracts people from the calibre of his acting, sometimes - in this movie at least). But Casey totally deserves all the acclaim he's been getting, in fact I don't think he's gotten enough. I kind of pity Brad, his performance has been completely overshadowed (by the critics at least) by Casey's performance. Brad's Jesse James was great, but Casey's Bob Ford was just a level higher.

I haven't seen No Country for Old Men so I can't talk about Javier Bardem's Anton Chirrguh, but I think it's sad that Casey probably won't win it. He really deserves to. And I've heard of that but it hasn't come here yet... which is the better movie, though?

ETA: Can't believe I forgot to mention the score. It was beautiful. I need to watch this again.

Last edited by goodnightboy; 01-24-2008 at 09:30 AM
goodnightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread