Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Addicted Fan

shrrshrr it would be cool if Netflix would have these films. Among the 3, I think my fave would be Hihintayin Kita sa Langit translated as "I will wait for you in Heaven" What I remember the most about this film was the amazing cinematography.

Isy I want to watch it again and I think it would good for my aunt to watch the movie before she starts getting hooked on the drama
Old 05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Master Fan

mukooh - hmm...I'm just not sure about Bjork any more. Used to like her but she might turn me off of the film. Let us know what you think.

angel - you're in Hawaii? I grew up there (divorced parents - half of each year in Hawaii and half of each year in the Bay Area). Cool.

pucca - I just looked through NetFlix and it wasn't there, so I checked IMDb and it's not avaialable on DVD according to them (which could mean it's available on VCD in Asian neighborhood stores, but not via the larger carriers).

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr
pucca - I just looked through NetFlix and it wasn't there, so I checked IMDb and it's not avaialable on DVD according to them (which could mean it's available on VCD in Asian neighborhood stores, but not via the larger carriers).
I checked on it too and yup Netflix didnt have it. I will make a mental note to check out the Filipino videostores near me or have my mom get it for me from the Philippines. Since you live near the Bay Area, I dont know how far you are to Daly City or Union City, but a Filipino store there might have it available.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Elite Fan

shrr- Yup! I got this dvd set of the entire series of Ranma 1/2 (Jap anime hehe) for just $200. In Suncoast, Tower Records, and pretty much the other stores, it's almost $100 (I think it's approx. $99.95) per season. So pretty much I saved about $500 But that's because I look for the imported stuff at this one store and the assistant manager kinda knows me...

It's cool you grew up in Hawaii. Do you remember where? And do you still stop by? Cause if you still do, I can tell you where to get some imported stuff
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Master Fan

pucca - I live across the Bay from there but I can certainly get to Filipino stores. Let me know! Might call a few, myself.

angel - I'm not that old I'd forget where I spent the first 18 years of my life! Hee! I grew up on the Big Island, and my mother still lives there. She's coming to visit in June, so maybe I'll ask for some DVDs.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
mukooh - hmm...I'm just not sure about Bjork any more. Used to like her but she might turn me off of the film. Let us know what you think.
i was in corona del mar.....waiting to embark on that ocean voyage....and instead i got sidetracked to 1938 india......will catch that ship tomorrow while she's still in port........will be back to report on my voyage..............

more things to take note of.....

the blog site is rather comprehensive......it's got lots of cool stuff on it.....it also features a video clip of maggie and one of my favorite canadian actors in a scene together....someone i didn't even know was in the film until i looked at this site.....his name is don mckellar....he's talented and good looking......anyone else hear of him?

Last edited by mukooh; 05-09-2006 at 08:04 PM
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Master Fan

OH MY GOD! Don McKellar's in this film?

I haven't seen it yet and I already know it's going to be one of my all-time favorites. There are no words for how much I love him.

First discovered hm in Highway 61, which I own (bought right after it was released on VHS), eventually I saw him in his own film, Last Night, which is in my top ten of all time and will remain there. He was amazing in it, but the film is amazing. Heck, my therapist and I discussed it through two sessions!

As a bonus, Sandra Oh is in it, along with many fabulous Canadian actors (too many to take the time to name).

*is beside herself*

mukooh - did you see the article about Clean I posted a page or two back?

ETA - I just realized he also wrote Highway 61, not just acted in it. Amazing.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
pucca - I live across the Bay from there but I can certainly get to Filipino stores. Let me know! Might call a few, myself.

angel - I'm not that old I'd forget where I spent the first 18 years of my life! Hee! I grew up on the Big Island, and my mother still lives there. She's coming to visit in June, so maybe I'll ask for some DVDs.
Aww okay never mind. I still reside in Oahu. I don't really know my way around the Big Island that well. But there's this store here called "Toys & Joys" where you can get your movies a lot cheaper. Some are about $20.00 or around there.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Fan

oooohh Lady Vengeance!!! i liked that movie, well, i like all Park Chan Wok movies even if its violent and creepy and whatever.

i still haven't seen Mr Vengeance though... coz my cousin borrowed the dvd...and i now cant find it.

Mukooh - are you going to a trip? now i got mixed up. anyways, have fun, regardless if you are going or not...

Angel - i was just in Hawaii a few weeks ago. anyways, i see you have an LJ. i'll add you if you dont mind... my LJ username is catdecember.

Shrrshrr - now i'm curious about Highway 61 .

Rai - i have the vcd in my purse already. see ya later!

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
***isy*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
today i'll be seeing 'drawing restraint 9'.......which might be of interest to some of the posters on this thread, because it stars a number of japanese actors.....it's a 2:15 minute film with hardly any dialogue, well at least for the first 90 minutes....

the players........
matthew barney (dir.)
bjork
mayumi miyata
shiro nomura
tomoyuki ogawa
sosui oshima
Can you, please, tell us if you liked it?
It's in a theater in my town and I'm not sure about watching it or not. The trailer didn't appeal at all to me. But I don't know anyone who has seen it so I haven't heard any opinions about it.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Master Fan

angel - ah yes - something I'd forgotten is how expensive it is to live there. Getting Asian film DVDs for $20 sounds outrageous to me, but I know it's reasonable there.

isy - I love Highway 61 but Last Night is a far superior movie in terms of global appeal and overall message, not to mention tension, surprise, drama, humor, and genuine emotional highs and lows (and highs again). I'd definitely recommend Last Night over Highway 61 if you're going to see either (but you should see both ).

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Elite Fan

shrr- Yeah, it's kinda expensive to live here. Actually, $20 ($19.99 + tax) isn't that bad at the store I go to. Tower Records and other places range it from $22-$29 (and about $26 or a little more on the extreme film labels like A Tale of Two Sisters). I know there are a few states that have no tax at all.

isy-Really? Cool! Er..which island? Cause shrr's folks are at the Big Island, I'm in Oahu And I'll add you in a bit after I type this.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Can you, please, tell us if you liked it?
It's in a theater in my town and I'm not sure about watching it or not. The trailer didn't appeal at all to me. But I don't know anyone who has seen it so I haven't heard any opinions about it.

hi....Anabela....in regards to 'drawing restraint 9'....if i were you i would pass on the film.....it's not horribly bad...nor is it very good........i think it's more of a visual experiment more than a movie and the visuals imo are just ok......i kept on waiting for something to happen in the film....and i kept on waiting and waiting.....the only thing that i found interesting in the film was when the two "occidentals" developed blow holes and were in a pool slicing each other up with knives, eating each others flesh.......metaphorically, i guess it had something to do with whaling......and that scene was almost at the end of the film......also there is no dialogue for the first hour and a half of the film......maybe 6 or 7 lines....then nothing more......not that that bothered me that much, but if your waiting for some kind of explanation as to why things are happening in this film, your not going to get that.....i just had extra time and money to spend so that's why i saw it.......mukooh
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
hi....Anabela....in regards to 'drawing restraint 9'....if i were you i would pass on the film.....
Thank you very much for your opinion.
I was considering seeing it but now I will only go if I have nothing else better to do. I don't pay for tickets but I don't have that much free time and I have to choose carefuly the movies I'm going to see.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Master Fan

mukooh - so, DID you see the article I posted?

Think I'll send you a PM...

My LJ for Movies
Reply   Post New Thread