Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_boogiepop
isy-Really? Cool! Er..which island? Cause shrr's folks are at the Big Island, I'm in Oahu And I'll add you in a bit after I type this.
Oahu. we stayed at Hilton - but i guess you've read my LJ now.

anyways.... The Promise just came out. anyone seen it? my dvd copies are still sitting in my "to be watched" pile.....

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
***isy*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
anyways.... The Promise just came out. anyone seen it? my dvd copies are still sitting in my "to be watched" pile.....
***isy***......i passed on watching 'the promise' in a theater....i have watched it on dvd.....do you remember what i said about it?

today i saw a couple of films in a theater...one of them was 'sympathy for lady vengeance' the third and final film of a trilogy of films with revenge being the theme.....i was disappointed with this film..it was disjointed...it was hard to follow...perhaps it was the translation of korean language to english subtitles?...there was way too much voiceover and background information which should have been left out....i found it to be distracting.....by far this was the weakest and least effective film of the three films in the series......imo 'oldboy' is the best of all of them.......

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Elite Fan

mukooh- From all the Korean movies I watched (or at least the horror ones), imo, they do tend to get confusing at first. Sometimes even frustrating because you don't know what the heck is going on. I don't know. A Tale of Two Sisters boggled my mind the first time I watched it.

The most confusing (and somewhat irritating) K-Horror would have to be Acacia.

That's just my intake on the few Korean movies I own. I haven't watched anything new recently
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Master Fan

Well, I admit - even being relatively familiar with Korean cutlure and language, I still found the ending of 3 Iron to be confusing...and not in the "I think I'll ponder that for a while" way. I thought I understood where it was all going and then the film just left any frame of reference I had.

Kinda cool, actually!

Old Boy was definitely a strong film and fantastic. I'll still probably see Lady Vendetta to complete the films, but I have my biases. I'm always fascinated by tales of vengeance - have been since I was little.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Master Fan

Here's more info on a Korean film my friend sent:

Quote:
Subject: Koreans to remake A BETTER TOMORROW

http://www.variety.com
Posted: Tue., May 23, 2006, 8:00pm PT

Fingerprint grabs right for Woo pic

By PATRICK FRATER

Production shingle Fingerprint Films has acquired rights for a Korean-language remake of John Woo's breakout actioner "A Better Tomorrow."

Deal was signed with Hong Kong's Fortune Star Entertainment, a
division of News Corp.'s Star TV group.

Fingerprint, which is headed by Park Hyun-jung ("My Boyfriend Is Type
B"), is recruiting scripters and a director ahead of a shoot skedded for

Fingerprint and Fortune Star will jointly bring on a high-profile producer. The two companies will share rights in markets outside
Korea.

"Tomorrow," which originally starred a young Chow Yun-fat, is story
of conflict between two brothers -- one a police trainee, the other a seasoned counterfeiter.

Fortune Star operates one of the largest Chinese-language film
libraries, with over 600 movies and 20,000 hours of TV programming. It is
currently restoring catalog films and re-licensing packages of titles.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Fan

I'm not sure what to think of that remake.
I love A Better Tomorrow. It's one of my favourite action movies ever and a remake sounds like a terrible idea. But a korean remake could maybe be interesting. I'm not sure.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

*nods* I think that's a good point, and I'm personally against most remakes - but a Korean remake could be interesting...

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Fan

Mukooh - i remember you saying the effects were good. but i wasnt sure if you liked The Promise overall.

re: Lady Vengeance - i havent seen Mr Vengeance still! my cousin has the dvd you sent me. Old Boy seems to be the perennial fave....

Anabela and shrrshrr re: A Better Tomorrow - i remember seeing this more than 10 years ago. i cant even remember the storyline. i have to rewatch.

kris - my brother said Acacia didnt make much sense. which is why i wont be watching it.

i havent seen A Tale of 2 Sisters still.

i want to see the thai film Shutter though....

i havent watched any movies lately, been busy with the japanese dramas. i'll be watching Il Mare soon.... since The Lakehouse is coming out and i might watch it and compare as well.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
Mukooh - i remember you saying the effects were good. but i wasnt sure if you liked The Promise overall.
all in all 'the promise' is just ok.........some of the visuals are really stunning and beautiful...........but some of the computer generated images (cgi) are truly horrible......

Quote:
re: Lady Vengeance - i havent seen Mr Vengeance still! my cousin has the dvd you sent me. Old Boy seems to be the perennial fave....
out of the 3 films in the trilogy 'oldboy' is my favorite too.....'sympathy for mr vengeance' started out slow and then it caught my interest.....by far it's a better film than '.....lady vengeance'......

i saw 'clean' the other day.....i was surprised how strong, or at least that's what i thought, maggie's "english" accent was in the film......i'm too lazy to post my thoughts about the film all over again in this thread....so this is what i said about 'clean' in the "what was the last film you saw in a theater" thread yesterday.....

Quote:
people never change......people change because they have to...the central themes of one of the films that i saw in a theater yesterday.....'clean' in english and french (with english subtitles).....

"no matter how many dozens of movies we've seen about junkies trying to go straight or how the death of a loved one can spark survivors to re-examine their own lives, the emotional truthfulness of 'clean' enters into our bloodstreams with it's muted vigor, and we find ourselves getting hooked by this tale of getting unhooked."

i thought that there was alot of truth to this film in regards to drug addiction and trying to get clean and stay clean.....imo it's one of the best movies that i've watched, concerning this subject matter, depicting this process.......'clean' was directed by olivier assayas who also directed maggie in 'irma vep' a few years back..."cheung and assayas were married once and it's clear from the tenderness with which he films her tht he is still very much in love....it may also be that this shared history of director and star that 'clean' derives its remarkable, lived-in sense of coming to terms with the past and moving toward that great blinding light that is the future"....maggie cheung won a best actress award for her performance in this film at the 2004 cannes film festival.....also worth noting in this film is the performance by nick nolte.....recommended viewing.....

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Fan

just bumping up the thread so it wouldnt be buried...

i saw Il Mare last weekend. it was very good. i loved it! i hope The Lake House didnt change it much.

one of my aunt's comments after watching it with me was : "well Il Mare has a better mailbox than what we've seen in the trailer for The Lake house" .

to know
me is to love me.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Fan

This week, a korean movie will be released in my country. It's Samaria by Kim Ki-Duk. I can't wait to see it, considering how much I loved 3 Iron.
I'll later post my thoughts about the movie.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Passionate Fan

Hi guys I have a problem and I wondered if anyone could help me?I'm looking for English subtitles for the Japanese Gimmy Heaven(Synesthesia) and I can't find anything on the web... You see,I wish I could speak Japanese,but I can't Thanks in advance
Old 06-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

I just noticed that "A Tale of Two Sisters" will be released this week in my country. I must see it as fast as I can.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hey guys

I finally saw Samaria by Kim Ki-duk.
I was expecting a lot from this movie because this was the same guy who directed 3 Iron. And I loved it! It's a very strong movie and yet it's beautiful and even elegant.
It's nothing like 3 Iron and yet the beauty and elegance are very similar.
I don't want to give away the story, I think you should discover everything as you see the movie.
I can't believe this movie was only released in my country's theaters now.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Fan

Anabela - i liked Samaria too, but 3-iron remains to be my fave Kim Ki Duk movie.

i havent been watching much movies. i have a lot piled up, so i do hope to give a bit of contributions here. don't want this board to die out on us!

to know
me is to love me.

Reply   Post New Thread