Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Any night will work for me
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah Monday will be a bit busy, but Tuesday should be good.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

I just finished watching Pure Love. That movie made me cry so much
dive into you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
originally posted by Shadowhunter: I just finished watching Pure Love. That movie made me cry so much

i just watched the trailer on line.......it looks to be the kind of film that i might really like too.....i've seen alot of korean films in the last couple of years......they tend to show alot of them at the "art house" theatre across the street from the university of irvine.....southern california......

one of my favorite korean films from last year is a romantic drama called "the beauty inside".....

brief snyopsis....woo-jin wakes up in a different body everyday, regardless of age, gender and nationality...sometimes he's a man, a woman, old, young, or even a foreigner....he's the same person on the inside, but on the outside he's always someone new.

trailer here

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

I hope you enjoy it if you end up watching it I was mainly watching for Kyungsoo but I really enjoyed it.

That looks interesting and it has some actors that are familiar to me
dive into you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not familiar with Asian films

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
~ Jis_Bon ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebraxtonisthebest (View Post)
No problem . I went through a Asian movies phase after I fell in love with Korean TV dramas.

Ha! I fell in love with Japanese TV dramas which lead me to Japanese movies specifically, and Asian movies overall.

My sister has recommended a few Korean films to check recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh (View Post)
trailer here
Thanks for the link. Looks interesting and one recommended to me.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

A Moment to Remember (2004)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I haven't seen that one.
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's a wonderfully lovely movie. Heads up tho...have kleenex handy.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awwe. Though I don't cry so easily, but I love emotional movies.
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is a FABULOUS movie. A complete surprise of such high quality. Gorgeous cinematography, beautiful story, funny, sad, and emotionally moving. I loved this film.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

This movie made in 1990 starring Gong Li, Ju Dou, is one of the hardest movies I've ever watched. I can't even decide if I liked it or not... It's just relentlessly bleak and brutal.

You're watching this woman (played by Li) being stripped of her dignity on a daily basis by her dominant husband, and her desperation to be saved (and eventually seduced) by the man's nephew.

Now, I'm not one to approve of cheating in fiction. However, this is the rare case where you're praying for the aunt and nephew (they're not blood related, just through marriage) to bide their time so that the right moment comes where they can escape from under the King's watch and just be together. But... Nope! The movie just doesn't let it happen.

She even gives birth to the nephew's child. You would think this would be the turning point where they get to happily announcement they relationship and defy the husband/uncle... Yeah, no. She's still stuck with him, he still has power over the both of them, and the child has to be raised in the husband's name. Anything to avoid a national scandal (even though this man is the cause of her misery and physical suffering).

It took everything in me to restrain my vocal anger and keep watching and then... The young boy decided to turn against his mother after his father [just in name] died by drowning. He goes on to treat his biological father like a stranger, and thus leading up to the terribly sad and undeserved conclusion.

Um... That's my recap of the plot. It definitely isn't what you'd call a happy ending, and it's a struggle to come to terms with why the writers thought it was best to end it that way. I guess they just wanted to maintain the bleak tone right until the end, whilst also deliberately making every. Single. Character. Suffer.

Gong Li plays the female protagonist as a very strong personality, who's trapped in an abusive marriage and determined to find happiness - even if it is basically impossible to maintain for longer than one night every few years. It's THAT bleak for her.

Best thing I can really say is that the lighting in this movie is beautiful. It has a very rich look to it, these deep yellows and reds that symbolically cover the characters and enrich them with this submerged, sexually fraught energy. Zhang Zimou really understood how he wanted this movie to look; I'll give him that.

Story wise, was I satisfied? ... Eh. Not only was it a tragic end, but the whole movie felt very exhausting. Every time they gave the lead forbidden couple some hope, it was snatched away the very next moment.

It's not the sort of movie I could watch again very soon. I'm still not sure that's a negative, though. I think it proves how much I was rooting for the forbidden romance to prevail. Expectations didn't meet reality, and once it dawns on the characters near the end... It's just very sad.

out of 5. Some good acting and great use of visual coloring to depict mood / sexuality. I just feel it was TOO bleak, plot wise.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread