Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Elite Fan

raissa, thanks for that

av
Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Obsessed Fan

hi everybody......quick post...yesterday i saw 'balzac et la petite tailleuse chinoise'.....(balzac and the little chinese seamstress).....a good film all in all...it suffered a little bit in the 3rd act though........recommended viewing because it covers a period of recent chinese history where many young people from the cities were sent to the country side to re-educate them.....the film is directed dai sijie who grew up during mao's cultural revolution in the 1970s and was sent to a re-education camp in sichuan. the four years he spent there inspired his novel and later this film, which was part-autobiography and part-fiction...it was filmed in the phoenix mountains of china.....which is so awe inspiring and beautiful......unfortunately most of the area where the film was shot will be flooded with the opening of the three gorges dam in the very near future........the film is in mandarin and french with english subtitles....

this is the second film that i've seen that deals with the reeducation of young people during the cultural revolution in china.....that other film is 'tian yu' (xiu xiu: the sent down girl)....it's a heartbreaking film...really sad........

snopsis...
Young teen girl Xiu Xiu is sent away to a remote corner of the Sichuan steppes for manual labor in 1975 (sending young people to there was a part of Cultural Revolution in China). A year later, she agrees to go to even more remote spot with a Tibetan saddle tramp Lao Jin to learn horse herding.

a spanish movie poster for this chinese film.....

nothing new around here to see that pertains to this thread...everything is pretty much slowing down release wise...at least to me....meaning foreign and independent film....wondering what the fall has to offer????

all for now...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

back again.......starting one week only on september 16th at the nu-art....hopefully it will come to oc.........

'kamikaze girls'

Colorful comic book-inspired visuals, an eccentric brand of humor, and Japanese pop fashion obsessions highlight writer/director Tetsuya Nakashima's look at the seemingly odd friendship between a bored county girl fixated on the lifestyle of 18th Century France—inclusive of frilly dresses and parasols—and a spunky member of an all-female biker gang. As their friendship deepens with time, the unlikely pair sets off on an unforgettable journey—one filled with an odd assortment of strange, often-hilarious personalities. J-Pop talents Kyôko ***ada and Anna Tsuchiya star. Inspired by Novala Takemoto's novel.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Fan

i've been trying to find kamikaze girls coz i heard its good. and i like kyoko ***ada.

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Elite Fan

oh that kamikaze girls sounds interesting!

av
Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

'war of red cliff' news
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Fan

news!!!

Fox Searchlight Pictures inked a deal wirh Hong Kong director-writer-producer Wong Kar Wai and Block 2 Films to develop english language films .

from Sushi and Tofu mag

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

more news...........but no films..........

3-Iron
directed by Kim Ki-Duk

New this week on DVD: "People who play golf know that the 3 iron is the least used club. Imagine a 3 iron stuck in an expensive leathery golf bag but only rarely used. Its image parallels that of an abandoned person or an empty house." This statement from director Kim Ki-Duk explains the metaphor central to his new film, 3-Iron, an exploration of the unusual relationship that blossoms between a transient young man and the abused woman whose home he breaks into. With less devious intentions that you might initially expect, Tae-suk (Jae Hee) likes to bide his time slipping into the residences of people who are on vacation. But instead of robbing them, he cleans up, does laundry, or fixes broken stuff. He might eat a little food and do odd things like pose for pictures with their valuables, but the general idea is that he leaves the home in better shape than it was before he entered it. When Tae-suk steps into the home of a wealthy businessman, however, his usual routine is altered, as the lady of the house, Sun-hwa (Lee Seong-yeon), is there, hiding in a corner. Tae-suk's gentle and caring nature blows away some of the darkness in Sun-hwa's world; an altercation between her husband and Tae-suk affords her the chance to change her life. Joining Tae-suk in his pursuits, Sun-hwa intially finds a friend, then a lover, and the comforts that a home can provide -- even if it's not technically yours. With next to no dialogue, Kim relies on his performers' expressions, which are combined with the director's striking images to form a strong social commentary on the lack of emotional connections in Korean society.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
Fox Searchlight Pictures inked a deal wirh Hong Kong director-writer-producer Wong Kar Wai and Block 2 Films to develop english language films .
I'm not sure what to think of this. Maybe those english language movies won't be so bad. But I'm not too fond of the idea. I'll wait and see.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Master Fan

Isy, i have A Moment to Remember and Crazy First Love but i haven't seen any of them. i have been trying to finish all the series that i have then go back to watching the movies that i bought. it's keeps on adding.

Mukooh, uy! Kamikaze Girls! i'm gonna try and look for a copy of that film. there's not much Jap films here.

uy! 3-iron!! want that!

Fla, Rai, Jam, everyone
Old 09-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Elite Fan

i want to watch 3-Iron too! i wonder where to look for a copy

je: watch A mOment To Remember! cry to death!

av
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

'eve and the fire horse'......something to look forward to......poster from the 2005 toronto film festival....

film information here
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Master Fan

fla, there's a copy in DV. i saw it the last time marie and i went there. i was just unable to buy coz i thought i have a copy already.

re AMTR, zhen de?!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Moderator Support Team

The Myth:

Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan stars as a Qin Dynasty warrior and Kim Hee-seon plays a Korean princess in a time of war in The Myth, which had its festival gala screening last night.

Chan plays two roles in The Myth: one serious and the other one slightly less so, but both of them very athletic. The serious guy is General Meng Yi, loyal warrior for an emperor in ancient China. He wears a helmet and armour straight out of Gladiator, hence Chan's fascination with that movie. He's also something of an unrequited lover, since he yearns for a princess he can't have. Chan would also like to make romantic movies, too.

The less-serious guy is an Indiana Jones-style archaeologist named Jack. Through a rupture of the space-time continuum, or maybe just a weird series of dreams, Chan's two characters keep intruding on the other's space. So do the two women in their lives, a Korean princess played by Kim Hee Seon (who is very big in Korean cinema) and a feisty Indian beauty played by Mallika Sherawat (a star in Bollywood films). The two women accompanied Chan to a press conference yesterday, as did director Tong.

The Myth is loaded with Asian talent, in other words, and it's a handsome production that looks like it cost at least $100 million to make, although Chan said it's more like $20 million. Yet he doesn't think the movie will get a regular theatrical release in North America, because Americans are so resistant to subtitles.

"I made The Myth only for the Asian market. American people, they don't like dubbed movies. I think it will definitely go to the video market here."

Full Article Here
Old 09-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

hi......kind of a slow weekend so far....i went to see an off the wall "indie" film today....imagine my surprise when the trailer for 'memoirs of a geisha' played before this film.........

this is what the trailer looks like.....click the arrow to make me play.......
Closed Thread   Post New Thread