Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***

mukooh- wow, better use up one of your sick days then!
for some reason....i've always felt guilty about taking time off from work, by calling in sick, when i'm not really sick....i guess it's called work ethic.....
Old 08-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Elite Fan

wow, nicole kidman? hmm... that would be such an interesting movie to watch to se if it turns out well

av
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei Zhuo
wow, nicole kidman? hmm... that would be such an interesting movie to watch to se if it turns out well

i've got a wait and see attitude about this one......will render a final opinion after watching the finished film...if and when the film is ever made....from what i understand many things are still in the planning stages...hopefully the resulting film will be a successful marriage of the east and the west.....

oh...here's what the palm dvd cover of 'memories of murder' basically looks like....at least the one released here in the united states...

Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Fan

i'll probably get my copy of Memories of Murder soon...so...

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Elite Fan

Hi guys!

A while ago I began developing an interest in Japanese culture and language. Right now I'm not able to act on either interest because I'm in my last year of college and need to focus on that. mukooh was amazing enough to send me two Japanese movies, which is a little step forward.

Now I came across a discussion at IMDB.com about Zhang Ziyi, a Chinese actress, being cast as Japanese woman on the upcoming movie Memoirs of a Geisha. I wanted to know your opinion, if possible. I'm very curious.

I mean, this has always being done but I was wondering if in this case it would be okay with Japanese actors, fans, etc.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Fan

hey rockstar

thats been a running issue with Zhang Ziyi starring in Memoirs of A Geisha. i don't know though if she auditioned for the part or was hand picked by spielberg to be the lead. i have yet to find a article on this issue, but i'll try to do my research. in the meantime, maybe someone else here knows about it?

as for my movie list :

i got my korean movies last night and i can't wait to start on:

- A Bittersweet Life
- Memories of Murder
- A Moment to Remember
- Crazy First Love
- Romance of their Own

and of course, there's still a pile of other movies waiting like 3-Iron, Dolls, etc.... i wish the weekend was 3 or 4 days so i can have time to veg out and watch all these!

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
as for my movie list :

- A Bittersweet Life
- Memories of Murder
- A Moment to Remember
- Crazy First Love
- Romance of their Own

and of course, there's still a pile of other movies waiting like 3-Iron, Dolls, etc.... i wish the weekend was 3 or 4 days so i can have time to veg out and watch all these!
Wow! thats 5 more movies to add. And those are the movies we have been looking for. I too wish that the weekend is longer so I can fit in more movie watching.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Fan

hey everyone! i watched A Bittersweet Life ((Dal-kom-han In-saeng) already. most of you know i've been looking for this for a long time, and i wasnt disappointed.

synposis from Han Cinema:

Written and directed by Kim Ji-woon, this film is portraying a story in which a high-ranking gang member who manages a hotel bar is asked by his boss to spy on his girlfriend, and kill her if she is being unfaithful.

Sunwoo is no ordinary hotel manager. Quick-thinking and efficient, he's also the right hand man of underworld boss Kang. But tough guy Kang has a weakness: his young girlfriend Heesoo.

Suspecting she's unfaithful, jealous Kang orders obedient Sunwoo to take care of the problem. But when Sunwoo finds Heesoo with another man, he is unable to kill them without knowing why.

Kang is furious and swiftly sends his gang members after Sunwoo, plunging him into a living hell. With nerves of steel, Sunwoo battles the gang alone. With each kill, he takes one step closer to Kang.

Starring Lee Byeong-Heon, Kim Young-cheol, Sin Min-ah, Hwang Jeong-min, Kim Roi-ha, Eric Moon, Oh Dal-soo, Kim Hae-gon, Lee Moo-yeong, this film's running time is 118 MIN.

i just loved the way the film was shot. the cinematography and camera panning was well done, and the movie vibe is sort of Noir-ish. anyway, Lee Byeong-Heon was good here, he was so well mannered and polite at the start and his emotions change throughout the whole film. the fight scenes become more violent as the movie progresses, but i was nailed to my seat watching this.

and so Park Chan Wook's Vengeance trilogy is complete :

Titled "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance," the pic is the final chapter of a vengeance trilogy created by writer/director Chan-Wook Park. The series began with "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (2002) and continued famously by "Old Boy," which won Cannes' Grand Prix in 2004.

"Lady Vengeance" is a female character-driven psychological thriller, that marks the return to the big screen (after three years of TV work) of Korean uber-star Lee Young-ae.

Lee plays a mid-30s woman, who is betrayed and framed for a crime by a male conspirator. After losing her daughter and spending 13 years in prison, the woman embarks on a revenge quest

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

***isy***....for your collection.....a slightly bigger and different poster for 'a bittersweet life'....

added a couple of other korean films to my collection after a quick store at the video store today...will be back later to comment on those.....
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
hey rockstar

as for my movie list :

- A Bittersweet Life
- Memories of Murder
- A Moment to Remember
- Crazy First Love
- Romance of their Own

isy: new movies! i've watched the last 3 of your list my favorite out of the 3 was A Moment To Remember if i remember correctly, it made me cry bt I think Romance Of Their Own made me tear up too i think. Cray First Love is the one with the guy In Sassy Girl right?

i've heard aboutt hat Zhang Ziyi thing too....

av
Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Passionate Fan

Haven't been in this forum for a long time! so hello!

Now I came across a discussion at IMDB.com about Zhang Ziyi, a Chinese actress, being cast as Japanese woman on the upcoming movie Memoirs of a Geisha. I wanted to know your opinion, if possible. I'm very curious.

My personal opinon on the subject - at first I found it quite strange. I'm sure there are plenty of talented Japanese actresses who could take the title role. I wondered if casting was done under the assumption that 'all Asians look alike' thing. If that was the case then of course I wouldn't like it.

On a side note - Anyone been to alllooksame.com (i think it's that) it's a test to see if you can really tell the different between Japanese, Chinese, Korean e.t.c. I'm Chinese myself so I'd like to think I could but I took the test. But I failed miserably! My point is... maybe she can pass off as a Japanese?!

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to limit the Asian actresses that we do have in the spotlight. Just because Zhang Ziyi is Chinese doesn't mean she should be playing only Chinese characters. I don't know if this is a good example - Take Nicole Kidman in 'Birthday Girl'. She plays a Russian mail order bride but of course we all know she's Australian. I think it would be crazy to say just because Nicole Kidman is Australian...she should only be playing Australians.

However I think many people feel that it's different because there aren't very many Japanese actresses that are well known in the West. Therefore this is an important issue as this would have been a wonderful role to showcase Japanese talent.

ok I rambled too much.

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Old 08-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
........mukooh was amazing enough to send me two Japanese movies......

and did they play for you?....did you ever watch them???.....and what were your thoughts on them??......dying of curiousity........

renting and ripping.....a couple of korean films....

a horror film called 'gawi' (aka as nightmare)........

the plot....Sun-ae returns to Seoul after two years in the USA and goes to stay with her good friend Hye-jin. But Hye-jin is disturbed when Sun-ae insists that she is being followed by their dead friend Kyung-ah. Kyung-ah was a shy girl that they had invited into their clique of friends two years earlier. She had grown up in a village with one of the others of the group, where she was believed to have strange powers and that she had killed a number of people using these. Shortly after this revelation, Kyung-ah committed suicide, jumping from a rooftop. The others doubt Sun-ae’s claims, but are soon forced to believe otherwise when Kyung-ah appears and starts to kill them.

kind of an interesting film.........an enjoyable watch.....the stuff dreams are made of.........

and a film about 2 best friends and the girl they both share an interest in...all of whom are in the korean navy........it's called 'blue'

Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh - i havent heard of both of the korean movies you've posted, but hmmm kind of making me curious as always.

as for me i got sick today and wasnt able to go to a cousin's going away party, so i watched 2 of the movies i posted before:

romance of their own aka Lure of the Wolf / Temptation of the Wolf

Country bumpkin Han Kyung (Lee Cheong Ah) has just moved to Seoul for school with her sister. She unfortunately runs into a big brawl out between her school and Sung Kwon High. Tae Sung (Kang Dong Won), the most notorious of Sung Kwon High recognizes Han Kyung from their elementary school years and quickly tries to win her affection again. Hae Won (Jo Han Seon), who is Tae Sung's long time rival, also competes for Han Kyung simply to piss of Tae Sung. But as the rival romance begins, they both find that they have true feelings for Han Kyung . . .

and

a moment to remember

After being dumped by her boyfriend, who she recently found out is married, Kim Soo Jin (Son Ye Jin), finally meets Choi Chul Soo (Jung Woo Sung) after a small misunderstanding over a can of Coke. Falling head over heels for one another, the two have to overcome what seems to be non-stop barricades between their relationship. Her father, who also happens to be Chul Soo's boss, seems to look down on him and Chul Soo, who has a troubled childhood, isn't about to commit to a serious relationship because he feel he's "below" her. But none of these problems will ever come close to match what they are about to face and proves to be the ultimate test for their relationship

obviosuly i was in a bit of a sobfest after watching dramas. couldn't help it coz i was just in the mood. i also like Son Ye Jin coz she's really pretty, even without makeup. and wow, when she cries, she cries . no wonder she is a good dramatic actress...

such a shame to have her wear a dress that resembled a garbage bag.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:

such a shame to have her wear a dress that resembled a garbage bag.

lol.............your right.....it looks like a "hefty"' brand trash bag.......
Old 08-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh - you know your trash bags well!

its just a shame to have her wear something ridiculous as that, given she is pretty and all!

and this is very tempting!!!!

Initial D dvd!!!

to know
me is to love me.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top