Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Fan

Asian Cinema Thread #5: Asian cultural experience thru film!

we've been reprimanded twice to start a new thread...so....

the last three movie related posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpucca
filmcritic.com gave "Sigaw" aka The Echo 3.5 stars out of 5. I havent watched this film since I am not a big fan of horror films but some of you may be interested. Here is the review of the film. Caution there may be spoilers.

Sigaw

official website of Sigaw

Sigaw will be shown in the Screamfest International Film Festival in Los Angeles in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
wong kar wai article from the los angeles times....today's date 7-22-05.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
speaking of wong kar wai.....

Two Weeks Only!
Starts Friday, August 5 at the Nuart Theatre

The story of Chow Mo Wan from In the Mood for Love continues. A few years after his ephemeral affair with Su Lizhen (Maggie Cheung), Chow (Tony Leung Chiu Wai) is now an out of work journalist and pulp fiction writer living in a cheap hotel. Bruised and battered by love, he pursues a playboy lifestyle of zero commitment and one-night stands. In the meantime, Chow works on a science fiction novel about a mysterious hi-tech train that transports people to the year 2046 to reclaim their lost memories. Ziyi Zhang, Faye Wong and Gong Li co-star. Winner of 5 Hong Kong Film Awards. Written and directed by Wong Kar Wai.
post away guys!

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 07-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Fan

since no one is here yet, to keep things going...

i watched several movies this weekend -

My Brother

synopsis:

Jong-Hyun is an underachiever whose "hare-lipped" older brother Sung-Hyun is favored by their mother and acquaintances alike for all his sincere efforts. Filial jealousy, competition over a pretty girl, and years of seeking acceptance drives a rift between the two brothers. As the years pass, the two lead increasingly separate lives, and their lingering conflict goes unsettled. Will each eventually be able to call the other "My brother?"

----> i actually liked this film (given i am a won bin fan since day 1), because it was simple, and i personally think won bin's acting had matured from his korean series days (Autumn in my Heart) and his movies (Guns & Talks, Taegukgi). plus he was good playing the bad one, so it was impossible to resist... its sort of bittersweet, but the acting was good between the two brothers in the film.

Madeleine

its a story about classmates who meet years later, and start to like each other. the lead girl, hae jin (Shin Mina - Volcano High), is aggressive, suggesting a month long set romance with the ji-suk (Jo In Sung - The Classic), after which both can walk away from it.

and since indian movies are asian movies....

Bride & Prejudice

i actually enjoyed this film a lot, especially relatable (personally) because of the tight knit closeness of the family unit etc... and aishwarya rai is very very beautiful....

i also watched a french movie (Love me if you Dare) and Hotel Rwanda.

next time, i hopefully can get on my other asian movies....

to know
me is to love me.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Addicted Fan

Isy dba, Bride & Prejudice is an enjoyable movie. Now you know why I watched it as often as I did. I can really relate to the character "Lalita" she looks so familiar.

Uy, you already saw Love Me If You Dare Buti ka pa! I saw a dvd of it at Barnes & Noble and it wasnt cheap so I am holdimg off and looking for other sources of it.

Thanks for starting the thread by the way!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
we've been reprimanded twice to start a new thread...so....

god....i hate being told what to do....that's why i never started the new thread...ROCKSTAR kind of reminds me of my mother.....

i'll agree with ***isy***....indian films are asian films....these are my thoughs reposted from another thread...but i believe that there relevant here....the other day i saw.....

'the warrior'...

Set during an unspecified ancient time in the seldom-captured picturesque locales of India's northwestern desertland and the western Himalayas, Asif Kapadia's feature debut, "The Warrior," is a minimalist but strikingly beautiful tale of renounced violence told with uncommon precision and depth.

'the warrior' is a miramax film.....one of the films the weinstein brothers had made during their tenure with that company...and one of the films being cleared from the shelves with their departure....well worth seeing....short, quick and to the point.....kind of like punk music....it gets you there fast....

i saw 'bride and prejudice' in a theater......i enjoyed the movie......just a light type of film....i especially liked the way it was filmed...with so many beautiful colors....like an old spectacular technicolor movie..........

talking about films from india.....'black' has been recommend to me...it's not a bollywood type of film...it deals with more serious subject matter...

snyopsis for 'black'....

Debraj Sahay is a teacher to Michelle McNally who is both deaf & blind, he meets her as an eight year old, who doesn't understand anything. She is violent, confused and unable to comprehend her life. Her world is "BLACK". Debraj leads her from this darkness and confusion into light and hope, how he makes her discover her an identity, this makes her feel human rather than someone inferior with a disability. He is her teacher, her Guru, the one who leads her from darkness into light.

and 'veer-zaara' was highly recommeded to me in a pm from shrrshrr....i've seen it for rent.......so i guess now's a good as time as any to take a look at it....

snyopsis...

Squadron Leader Veer Pratap Singh is a rescue pilot with the Indian Air Force, who risks his own life to save the lives of others. One day, on duty, he comes across a stranded girl from Pakistan, Zaara. Zaara, a carefree, sprightly girl has come to India to fulfill her surrogate grandmother's dying wish. She meets with a bus accident leaving her stranded in a foreign land. Veer saves her life... and his life is never the same again... Twenty-two years later, Saamiya Siddiqui, a Pakistani lawyer on her first case, finds herself face-to-face with an aging Veer Pratap Singh. He has languished in a Pakistan jail cell for 22 years and has not spoken to anyone all these years - and no one knows why. Her mission is to discover the truth about Veer and see to it that justice is served. And thus starts her journey to unveil the truth... the story of Veer and his life... Why has Veer been silent for 22 years? Why is he in a jail in Pakistan? Where is Zaara? What happened to her? God has written the destinies of Veer and Zaara, such that they can never be joined together. Saamiya has come to change that... to join Veer and Zaara together... forever...

wow....sounds like a tear jerker.......

all for now.....
Old 07-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Elite Fan

I'm 21, not ready to be anybody's mom but heyyy.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

rockstarr - geepz, you're a baby. i'm only 4 yrs older than you...

raissa - we had 3 screenings of bride and prejudice - first me and my cousin watched it, then my aunt (watched half of it) and my other aunt came over and she watched it last night.

mukooh- i want to start watching more indian films, so thanks for the recommendations.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
raissa - we had 3 screenings of bride and prejudice - first me and my cousin watched it, then my aunt (watched half of it) and my other aunt came over and she watched it last night.
have you watched "Monsoon Wedding"? Its nice too but different. Not Bollywood. I have always been fascinated with Bollywood. I also want to start watching Indian films. so far the ones I have watched including Bride & Prejudice were Monsoon Wedding and Bend it Like Beckham, that is if you consider that an Indian film.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 AM
Ultimate Fan

I loved "Monsoon Wedding" because it was a very different indian movie. It wasn't the usual Bollywood movie.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Master Fan

Tony Ja's new movie is coming out real soon.

Synopsis
TOM-YUM-GOONG is the story of a young man named Kham (Tony Jaa) whose life is turned upside down when an international mafia syndicate, based in Australia , captures his two beloved elephants and smuggles them thousands of kilometers away to Sydney . The two elephants are far more than mere animals to Kham and his father. They are part of his family and were being prepared to be presented as a token of devotion to his Majesty the King of Thailand. The only way Kham can possibly save the animals is by venturing into a foreign land for the first time.

Taking on a mafia group to rescue two elephants from a foreign country presents a huge challenge, even for a martial arts master like Kham. Despite the help of Sergeant Mark (Petchthai Wongkamlao), a Thai police Sergeant based in Australia , and Pla (Bongkuch Kongmalai), a Thai girl forced into modern day slavery, the going gets tough. They must take on the ruthless gang of Madame Rose (Jing Xing), whose henchmen include Johnny (Johnny Nguyen), a Vietnamese thief and martial arts expert, and the hulking TK (Nathan Jones).

Kham has no choice but to risk his own life for the animals he loves…
always open in the middle
Old 07-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Master Fan

eh! new thread!

nways, i've seen My Brother which is a very sad film. but it's good to see Won Bin being a bad a**. and Madeleine, i actually like Jo In Sung's other film. he's goody-goody in this film, that's why. i have Bride and Prejudice but i still haven't watch it. i've seen this Jap film though, Azumi 1 and 2. it's a story about an assassin and it's kinda bloody, of course. i actually like the film although the subtitle is sorta messed up (some dialogues weren't translated). i still got a long list of movies to watch but i gotta wait till work's over.

btw, Isy, are you pertaining to the Filipino movie Sigaw?! coz my bro watched it and he said it sucks.

Rai, i haven't seen Monsoon Wedding but i've seen BILB. i like BILB.

aaahhh!! too many interesting films and i'm running out of funds!!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Addicted Fan

Je I like BILB too. I still have to get the dvd. I dont remember how I was able to watch it. I think my cousin borrowed it from her friend. I was the one who initially mentioned "Sigaw". Oh really it sucks daw? Hmm wonder why it got a good review. I am not into horror films so I wouldnt know. and if i do watch i am under the covers most of the time so pointless. You are not the only one running out of funds
Old 07-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

April Snow poster....

The passionate poster was made public for the 'Oe Chool(April Snow)'(Directed by Hur Jinho, Produced by Bluestorm), containing sad love of two main characters who came to realize that their respective spouses were in adulterous relationship from a traffic accident in the film.

The poster made public in this time expresses well sad love of two main characters in the film by main copy of 'Are we love' along with subheading of 'adulterous love'.

In particular, from the appearance of two main actors who are tightly holding each other's hands with sorrowful expressions, it makes people feel love for each other, confusion, and ardent passion.

Among 2 kind of versions, the first poster passionately depicted BYJ & SYJ who are embracing in sad expression, and second poster emphasized the anxiety of two people's love as they lay in a bed side by side and BYJ takes pose of embracing SYJ from behind & comforting her.

These regular posters made public in this time has review that it further increases the curiosity about film as it emphasize the emotion of two main characters compared to the teaser poster in the end of the last month, which emphasized longing.

The 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' getting much interest from our country and Japan, etc. crank in the past February and finished shooting in the last month in topic of talks including transformation of major shooting site, Samcheok in Kangwon Province into a famous tourist spot.

It plans to open simultaneously in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, etc. on coming September 9, and 20,000 fans in China, where the release has not be definitely decided, made a large scale signature drive, saying "We want simultaneous opening with Korea, Japan, etc."

[Poster of 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' expressing passionate love of two man & woman main characters, BYJ & SYJ, Photo source=Bluestorm]

Reported by Lee Kyeongho,rush@mydaily.co.kr, My Daily, www.mydaily.co.kr,
Copyright ⓒ My Daily

to know
me is to love me.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Elite Fan

isy: thanks for starting the new thread

i've watch Bride and Prejudice too, and i really liked it it was sort of a fluffy movie, but it was kinda relatable. i especially like the way they filmed it, with all the colors and stuff

i haven't watched My Brother!

isy: is Madeleine any good?

av
Old 08-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Master Fan

Rai, oh! i don't know. i really don't watch local horror flix coz it always sucks. effects are not even enough to scare the hell out of me. u can watch it for urself but my bro didn't like it.

Isy, the girl in April Snow's the girl with In Sung in The Classic?

Fla, Madeleine's just ok. not really the movie of In Sung that i will recommend. well, it's worth watching bcoz of him.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Fan

je - yes, Son Ye Jin is with Jo In Sung in The Classic . i liked her however, from her korean series scent of summer . i think she's simple but beautiful.

fla - i agree with Je re: Madeleine . i still think if you want to watch a Jo In Sung movie, watch The Classic or Love Impossible.

ps_dreamer - i haven't even seen Ong Bak . the copy we bought was bad, and i think one of my cousins borrowed it and never gave it back to me!

anabela & raissa - i havent watched Monsoon Wedding yet, hopefully soon....

to know
me is to love me.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread