Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Master Fan

Art School Confidential (2006) #1

The IMDb information page

I just saw an ad for this tonight and it looked hilarious, but then this used to be my world.

Besides, this is a work from the guy who did Crumb and Ghost World, not to mention Bad Santa (which I actually thought was rather funny).

Anyone else looking forward to this movie?

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Master Fan

You know, I'm kind of surprised no one's picked up on this thread, especially considering many of the people here are probably art school folks.

So - no one thinks this is going to be good/funny?

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-08-2006, 01:29 AM
nki
Absolute Fan

I've read mixed reviews about ASC. Some said it was disappointing for Terry Zwigoff's fans.

Quote:
"Art School" likely will entertain a sophomoric audience and etch some winning college-kid figures, but art house audiences will be disappointed by its paint-by-numbers storytelling.
Quote:
Art School Confidential” is best when it’s skewering art school cliches. Other than that, the film is all over the place. It’s a look at art school life. It’s a love story. It’s a coming of age tale. It’s a serial killer murder mystery. None of these themes fit together and it makes for a really disjointed, confusing watch. Add some not so memorable characters and what we have here is just a big waste.
I think it really depends on what you're expecting to see.

Last edited by nki; 05-11-2006 at 02:48 AM
nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Sounds pretty cool to me. I mean, we've got Ghost World ties and John Malkovich. I think it's worth a peek!
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Master Fan

I read something by mukooh that made me think the bad reviews might be accurate, considering there are two distinct plot threads. If they'd stayed with the original art school plot thread it would probably have been better, but I'll still likely check it out.

My LJ for Movies
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Loyal Fan

What I saw of it was decent. That said, I had the movie for a week and still didn't see the very end and I still returned it. The Art School plot was good and the romance was good. Lots of amusing, quirky characters. John Malkovich - always good. The roommate and his film and the real life subject matter was kind of where the film lost its way I suppose. However, I did enjoy what I saw.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Elite Fan

I watched this today...................

I liked aspects of it, but overall, I was impressed by how far they took it without anything great coming out of it. No awesome, quirky lines to quote over and over. The lead character was somber and sort of uninspired for all the "inspired" talk. He was shown to be an art lover since he was a kid, but all of a sudden it's only about Audrey and her as his muse.

I laughed out loud when the parents hugged themselves after Jerome talked about "my girlfriend." I stopped the DVD and just laughed and laughed, which was a welcomed distraction on a day like this.

I would give it 1 1/2 stars out of 5. Really not what I thought, and nothing really memorable. My favorite character was the guy who dropped out every year and tried something new. He was funny and enjoying all the craziness around him.