Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Master Fan

The art of physical comedy

Of course, it's been so many days since I watched whatever movie it was that inspired me to start this thread that I can't recall what it was...

In any case - whatever the film - it got me thinking about the art of physical comedy and how difficult it is to pull off well.

Many films have stupid slapstick, but few do it well, and few actors have the talent to make it work.

Anything from facial expressions, to body movement, to vocal talents - Jim Carrey comes to mind as a modern practitioner of this form, but he can be hard to take on occasion. Still, his performance in Liar, Liar - while not stellar - was a decent enough job to make my point.

Take, for example, the game he played with his son - The Claw: Carey Elwes' character was fabulously bad at playing it, but Jim Carey's character was brilliant and funny. Nice that little bit.

So - how many of you are fans? How many of you hate the form? Comments? Questions?

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not a huge fan of physical comedy save when it's done well and the person is more than charming. It takes a special person to pull of this kind of comedy.

I think Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail has small bits of physical comedy, like running around the house trying to clean it up before letting Tom Hanks in.

Jack Black was a GENIUS in Orange County rolling all over the place in his underwear, jumping on things, throwing himself behind bushes, etc, etc. He really nailed it.

Also, Peter Strommare (sp???) in The Brother Grimm. What a hoot! Trying to be all royal and brave but being a total dork.

Also, there's this French comedy from the 70's called King of Hearts. It's a parody of war and let me tell you.... Those people were fantastic!! The patients of a mental hospital take over a town after everyone left because the Germans were going to bomb the place. So the patients just went out and assumed the roles of the people that left, one became a barber, another a priest, the prostitutes and of course, the King and the Queen.

It was beautiful physical comedy, especially the priest and altar boy!
Old 10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree about the Jim Carey one, esp the movie Dumb and Dumber

Nacho Libre made me laugh.

Oh the movie What's Up Doc? with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal was sooo funny, esp the end with the chase. I laughed so hard water came out of nose & that hurts. Note: Do not eat or drink around comedies.

Physical comedy is hard. I give them a lot of credit. You have to get the timing right and everything.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm not a huge fan of physical comedy. I think I find what they are saying and what they are doing just too much and too over the top sometimes. Jim Carrey, Martin Short and Robin Williams (he's more facial versus entire body) are just too much for me sometimes. I feel like their mom wanting them to sit down, settle and stop embarassing me

Chris Farley was always good at the physical comedy. But, even he, sometimes, could be a little much. I think Ben Stiller, Steve Martin and Leslie Neilson can be good at this as well - they are just so expressive in any kind of hijinks. This goes to television but Teri Hatcher is ok with it on Desperate Housewives but I guess there becomes a point where it becomes ridiculous and unbelieveable and is more distracting than humorous.

I guess maybe that is my real point. I like my physical comedy in moderation and not to the point where it's ridiculous and, most importantly, DISTRACTING. I also like the characters to be MORE than the physical and have something endearing and likeable about them. For some reason, I rarely find that with Jim, Martin and Robin.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Elite Fan

I was watching Clue (AGAIN) the other day, and Mr. Green falling when the table he's sitting on breaks still makes me laugh for AGES. Got to appreciation physical comedy.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

My favourite physical comedy performance is from Bruce Campbell in Evil Dead 2, the "evil hand" scene might just be the funniest scene ever.
Reply   Post New Thread