Gangster
Courtroom Drama
Epic
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim

Last edited by jackiehydelover; 06-18-2008 at 08:44 PM
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

I was so wrapped up in watching my Celtics win last night..completely forget this was on! Man!!

Off to go compile my list and then post on here.

Weird categories though.
taovande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

I just checked their list and the one for epic surprised me. Gone with the Wind is always near the top of their list for just movies in general....and yet is number 4 in this smaller category....weird to me.

And Jerry Maguire number 10 for sports movies....Weird to me again.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hey Christina....what exactly is amination
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Elite Fan

Oops... Fixed it!

I was on a very long plane ride last night so I didn't even get chance to watch Their lists are really strange. I completely agree with your GWTW comment. I was surprised that it was number one
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Fan

I watched some of it the last genre I seen was the Gangster genre. I still cannot believe The Little Mermaid was not picked for any of the animated films. Also that Cinderella and Beauty & The Beast was placed the way that they were in the category.

Was Tombstone picked in the westerns? Cause I cannot remember seeing it on there, and if I'm not mistaking when AFI's was coming on it showed it.
Ships: Dylan/Kelly, Spike/Buffy, Angel/Buffy, Damon/Elena, Cullen/Lily, James Bond/Vesper Lynd, Captain Hook/Emma Swan, Tony Stark/Pepper Potts, Dante/Lulu, Danny/Michelle, Tony/Marah, Sonny/Claudia, Danny/Samantha, Tyler/Caroline, Tuck/Lauren, Rafe/Sami, Batman/Catwoman
DefLeppardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Elite Fan

I recorded this but only watched till Westerns. I'll rewatch the whole thing tomorrow.

I thought that Jerry Maguire should've been higher on the Sports list, and I thought Star Wars deserved #1.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLeppardFan (View Post)
Was Tombstone picked in the westerns? Cause I cannot remember seeing it on there, and if I'm not mistaking when AFI's was coming on it showed it.
Tombstone didn't make the list, but I've noticed on all the AFI specials, they show clips from films that aren't on the list. It's kind of annoying, cause I'm like, oh sweet, my film made the cut (happened with LMS in the top 100 last year) and then it doesn't show up.

Like this year, they also showed a clip for Apocalypse Now, which I consider quite epic but it didn't make the cut.

I totally agree with The Godfather as the number 1 gangster film (it is my number 1 anything film). Frankly, Part II could have been number 2, but I am glad to see Scorsese get up there with Goodfellas, cause it's a fantastic movie.

But a part of me wishes Godfather Part II would have gotten a nod on the epic list cause I consider that movie quite epic.

I was thrilled Pulp Fiction made the list! I was so afraid they were going to ignore it. But I hate that Scarface made the list at number 10. I much prefer The Departed, American Gangster (another film that had a clip in the opening but no spot) or Mean Streets.

I'm not into Westerns, so I had no feelings about that list. The only western I've ever enjoyed is the remake of 3:10 to Yuma.

For the animated list, I was just happy Cinderella wasn't number one because I have an extreme hate for that movie after taking a semester long writing course about Cinderella. I've never laughed so hard at a Cinderella tribute in my life as I did last night. Thank you college for making me loathe Cinderella!

I guess they are waiting to do a strictly comedy list (not that these movies will make it) but I consider films like The 40 Year Old Virgin, There's Something About Mary, The Wedding Crashers and Knocked Up to be romantic comedies. They would all be on my list. The only choice I liked on the list was Annie Hall. I was surprised though that they considered Jerry McGuire a sports movie instead of a romantic comedy. Sports is kind of the back drop for the romance, which I adore.

And even though I consider The Graduate a fantastic movie, it is technically a romantic comedy, so why not just give it lots of love (although it pwns everything else in that category tremendously). Maybe they are saving it for the purely drama category that I know they will do next year.

The mystery category should instead be titled an ode to Hitchcock. But seriously, where was Psycho? Do they consider that more of a horror film?

Blue Velvet making the best mystery list made me groan. God, I hate that movie.

The Princess Bride not even making it on the fantasy list was lame. Another one left off was Willy Wonka. Both should have made the fantasy list. But I was happy with the Wizard of Oz choice.

Sci-Fi, um, yay for Back to the Future? Oh and huzzah that Planet of the Apes didn't make the list.

The Clockwork Orange continues to disturb me (but I love it).

The top three for the courtroom drama were spot on. To Kill a Mockingbird is classic. Nothing can beat Gregory Peck. I squeed! when they revealed Kramer vs. Kramer for number 3 especially. Glad it got some love.

Epic really isn't my kind of movie but I did become physically ill when they picked Titanic at number 7. Ew. That movie ruined my childhood.

Although, I think Pride and Prejudice is considered epic, so I wish that would have been on the list. The 2005 version owns me.

I still need to watch Raging Bull. But a part of me wishes Rudy would have got a spot on the sports movie list.

But Caddyshack and Bull Durham making the list was made of awesome.

Last edited by venusinfurs; 06-19-2008 at 01:11 PM
venusinfurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs (View Post)
Epic really isn't my kind of movie but I did become physically ill when they picked Titanic at number 7. Ew. That movie ruined my childhood.
Please explain to me how it ruined your childhood. I really am curios
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm a nerd. I went through and made my own list

Animation

The Little Mermaid
Anastasia
The Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Ratatouille
The Land Before Time
The Brave Little Toaster
The Incredibles
The Emperor's New Groove

Romantic Comedy

It Happened One Night
Roman Holiday
When Harry Met Sally
Pretty Woman
While you were sleeping
The Wedding Singer
Love Actually
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Amelie
Shakespeare in Love (When I was doing research, this kept showing up as a romantic comedy)

Sports

Rocky
Somebody up there likes me
A League of their own
Rudy
Seabiscuit
The Sandlot
Cinderella Man
Cutting Edge
Happy Gilmore
Million Dollar Baby

Fantasy

Wizard of Oz
Willy Wonka
Edward Scissorhands
Pan's Labyrinth
Never Ending Story
Big
Beetlejuice
Jurassic Park
Clash of the Titans
Labyrinth

more to come later.....
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLeppardFan (View Post)
I still cannot believe The Little Mermaid was not picked for any of the animated films. Also that Cinderella and Beauty & The Beast was placed the way that they were in the category.
I had the same thoughts when I saw that list.

I didn't watch the entire 3 hour special(way too long) but I saw most of it and the final summary. I had to search the internet to see which films had been up for nomination. Here's my 2 cents...

Animation--- It was a pretty good list, but The Little Mermaid really should have been there. The Little Mermaid is the film that helped usher Disney back into the golden era of high quality musical animation. Bambi... I wouldn't even have placed on the list. People remember Bambi for its cuteness and tearjerking moment but not much else. The Secret of NIMH failed to make the cut. Too bad, I love the maturity of that cartoon.

Fantasy---Honestly, I couldn't be more disappointed with their final list. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movies they picked....but that list was very one dimensional. 8/10 of those movies could be considered Light Fantasy. Where is the dark fantasy or the mythological fantasy? Some of the movies that were nominated but didn't make it----Clash of the Titans, The Dark Crystal, Pirates of the Carribean, Spiderman 2, Mary Poppins, The Princess Bride and Harry Potter to name a few. As much as I adore Big, one of these other films should have taken its place.

Sci-Fi---Again, a pretty good list with the exception of a few glaring ommisions. I would remove Back to the Future and Invasion of the Body Snatchers and replace them with either one of The Matrix, Planet of the Apes, Frankenstein or Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. I feel these 4 films had a larger impact on the genre than the 2 they put in. I have yet to watch A Clockwork Orange(just not my kind of story) but have seen The Day the Earth Stood Still and was glad it made the list.

Sports---I am not a sports film fan but surprisingly I have seen 6/10 movies on that list. Caddyshack is funny but I don't like it there. Did they put that there so they could represent Golf? I would have put in The Bad News Bears or The Karate Kid over that.

Western---This genre is beyond my expertise. I just haven't seen enough westerns.

Gangster---Same as above. I don't watch a lot of gangster films...but it seemed a no-brainer that the 2 Godfathers would be there.

Mystery---Blue Velvet?! Yuck. There are 2 movies on that list I haven't seen- The Third Man & Chinatown...so I can't comment on those. I was a surprised Laura ranked so high as I felt that movie was a bit meandering. If they had to pick a movie with a haunting dead woman then Rebecca would have been my choice. And I am not at all surprised this category was dominated by old films. Good mystery is a dying art in Hollywood. With the age of tv & internet, it is difficult to keep suspense in movies a secret. And most mysteries nowadays are adaptations of novels, so everyone knows the climax before it even reaches the screen. Films I wanted on the list--- The Bourne Identity and Gaslight.

Romantic Comedy---Yikes! The worse top 10 of the night. This list practically screamed 'old-voters-who-don't-go-out-anymore'. The compilation is just way too tame. I did appreciate that the classics It Happened One Night, The Philadelphia Story and Roman Holiday were there. I've never seen Annie Hall but I'm not at all surprised by its rank. Moonstruck, Harold and Maude and Sleepless in Seatle are all yawner-type romances. They should be replaced by either His Girl Friday, Pretty Woman, While you were Sleeping, 16 Candles(yes it was actually nominated!) or Shakespeare in Love. And shouldn't the #1 romantic comedy be a film we've at least heard of. City Lights? Has anyone seen it?

Courtroom Drama---A fair top 10. I still don't like seeing A Few Good Men there. I find it highly overrated, with the Jack Nicholson scene the only thing people ever seem to reference. Inherit the Wind really should have made the cut. The Evolution vs Creation battle was superbly acted. On the slightly unconventional side, I would have also chosen either Primal Fear or Suspect.

Epic---Again, this is one of those categories that is meant to salute a bygone era. Not many epics being made today. And for that matter what exactly is an epic anyway? Somehow I don't see Saving Private Ryan as an epic...especially when you put it on a list with big sweeping epics like the Ten Commandments, Spartacus, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia.

And did anyone else find it strange that Horror wasn't even included as a category?
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Fan

Animation

1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Lion King
3. Aladdin
4. Beauty & The Beast
5. Cinderella
6. The Secret of Nimh
7. Sleeping Beauty
8. Finding Nemo
9. All Dogs Go to Heaven
10. Nightmare Before Christmas

Westerns

1. Tombstone
2. Rio Bravo
3. Open Range
4. 3:10 To Yuma
5. War of the Wildcats
6. McLintock!
8. Dances With Wolves
9. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
10. Quigley Down Under

Gangster

1. The Godfather
2. Scarface
3. The Godfather Part II
4. Mobsters
5. Donnie Brasco
6. Bonnie and Clyde
7. The Godfather Part III
8. Road To Perdition
9. Carlito’s Way
10. American Gangster

Romantic Comedy

1. Sweet Home Alabama
2. Pretty Woman
3. How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days
4. The Wedding Singer
5. 27 Dresses
6. Someone Like You
7. Maid In Manhattan
8. Working Girl
9. The Bachelor
10. Clueless

Sports

1. The Sandlot
2. Remember the Titans
3. Happy Gilmore
4. A League of Their Own
5. Rocky IV
6. Forrest Gump
7. Gridiron Gang
8. We Are Marshall
9. Varsity Blues
10. Major League

Fantasy

1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Beetlejuice
3. Hook
4. The Chronicles of Narnia
5. The Princess Bride
6. Stardust
7. Dragonheart
8. Conan the Barbarian
9. The Wizard of Oz
10. Bridge to Terabithia
Ships: Dylan/Kelly, Spike/Buffy, Angel/Buffy, Damon/Elena, Cullen/Lily, James Bond/Vesper Lynd, Captain Hook/Emma Swan, Tony Stark/Pepper Potts, Dante/Lulu, Danny/Michelle, Tony/Marah, Sonny/Claudia, Danny/Samantha, Tyler/Caroline, Tuck/Lauren, Rafe/Sami, Batman/Catwoman
DefLeppardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehydelover (View Post)
Please explain to me how it ruined your childhood. I really am curios
Duh, I tried to stand on the edge of a boat while saying "I'm the king of the world" and fell off. Almost drowned. Dreadful experience.

No, seriously, being stuck in a room with three other blubbering girls for what, like 800 hours while they squealed and giggled at the infamous hand scene was horrid. I tried to run away but I only got to the bathroom when I realized I was stuck, watching that stupid ship sink.

I was never the same after that movie. I still can't look at a boat without shaking in terror.
Reply   Post New Thread