Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

80th academy award nominations & discussion thread

source CNN

Following is a complete list of the nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards

Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

Last edited by mukooh; 01-22-2008 at 08:32 AM
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

brief thoughts....

a tough call to make in best picture category.... 'no country for old men' & 'there will be blood' are 2 very good pictures....both are deserving of the oscar....

in the directors category....the same 2 picutres are also represented...the coen brothers and paul thomas anderson...i would be happy if either one of them won...

best actor...why am i not surprised....daniel day-lewis for 'there will be blood'

best actress....julie christie....for 'away from her'...imo the best performance by an actress in any film this year...a film that alot of people have missed out on seeing, including many of my friends...hopefully that will change now......

best supporting actresss....cate blanchett 'i'm not there'...the best thing about that film...this nomination also cancels out her nomination in the best actress category and assures a win in this one..

best supporting actor....javier bardem....well who else?...for his phenomenal performance in 'no country for old men'

Last edited by mukooh; 01-22-2008 at 08:17 AM
Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh:I get so excited watching the academy awards. The only movie that I saw that is up for oscars is Juno. I absolutely adore this film. It is soo good. I am rooting for Juno.

I want to see Atonement, Into the Wild, No Country for Old Men.

I am shocked that Into the wild wasn't nominated for more awards. I think that was a shock.
ScorpioGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

in the original song category....

"falling Slowly" from 'once' by glen hansard and marketa irglova....a nice little music film with some pretty good music too...

in the animated feature category...
'persepols' 'ratatouille' 'surf's up'

well rats.....i guess that sums up my thoughts there....imo 'persepolis' should have been in the best foreign film category....it really doesn't look like that there were enough good animated films to be nominated this year...so 'persepolis' was added to fill out that category??...

which leads me to the best foreign film category....sad to say i haven't seen any of the nominated films listed...the only good thing about that is....most of the nominees will be now be released in more theaters.....

best documentary feature....one thing for sure it won't be is 'sicko'...not that it's a bad film.....i don't think too many academy voters would be willing to give michael moore another chance to make another shameful acceptance speech, as he did a couple of years ago when he won in that category...politics aside on stage...i would like to see 'no end in sight' take the win....it's very good film that takes a hard look at all of the decisions, mostly bad, that got us involved in iraq and the numerous mistakes that the united states government has made since invading that country and illegally occupying it...

Last edited by mukooh; 01-22-2008 at 08:25 AM
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
best supporting actor....javier bardem....well who else?...for his phenomenal performance in 'no country for old men'
I haven't seen No Country For Old Men, so cannot really comment. But who else? Casey Affleck. Amazing performance as Robert Ford. He's got to be up in the running for it.
jbarrett777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett777 (View Post)
I haven't seen No Country For Old Men, so cannot really comment. But who else? Casey Affleck. Amazing performance as Robert Ford. He's got to be up in the running for it.
Casey Affleck is nominated for an oscar for the jesse james movie.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
originally posted by jbarrett777: But who else? Casey Affleck. Amazing performance as Robert Ford. He's got to be up in the running for it.

agreed...it's been casey's year...although i much prefered his performance in 'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' over his performance in 'gone baby gone'....another reason to recommend 'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' is for it's cinematography....which imo will win that picture the oscar in that category...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

Now Casey Affleck plays the guy that assinates Jesse James right?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
originally posted by ScorpioGrl:
Now Casey Affleck plays the guy that assinates Jesse James right?

you would be right in assuming that.....
Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Addicted Fan

What no Hairspray no Nikki Blonsky just shows you again that the academy doesnt know what the people actually like
Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Casey Affleck plays the character of Robert Ford, or 'The Coward' Robert Ford. I hope it does win for cinematography aswell. It's a stunning piece of filmmaking.
jbarrett777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Passionate Fan

I couldn't believe that Hairspray got snubbed

I wasn't expecting any in the major catergories

but the costumes were beautiful.

and Come So Far not getting the nom. for best song was very upsetting to me. I love that song.

like I'm happy for Enchanted but I don't think Happy Working Song should have gotten in....or that song from August Rush.

ash515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermoine_Granger (View Post)
What no Hairspray no Nikki Blonsky just shows you again that the academy doesnt know what the people actually like
I'm actually thrilled about this. As much as I liked Hairspray, there were better films and better performances then Nikki Blonsky. But that's just my opinion.

I must say... After I saw American Gangster, I turned to my boyfriend and said "Ruby Dee is getting an Oscar nomination." This is the second year in a row I called one out like this. Last year it was Mark Wahlberg

I'm kind of surprised by some of the nominees. Here are my opinions on the nominees

No Tim Burton? He's never been nominated in the directing category and I thought that this was going to be his time!

I see that Tommy Lee Jones gathered up the sentimental vote for In The Valley of Elah.

I don't know why Cate Blanchett was nominated for Elizabeth: The Golden Age but I'm thrilled that Ellen Paige and Laura Linney weren't over looked.

Very surprised about Jason Reitman but so freaking happy he got a directing nom!

Julian Schnabel... He didn't want his film to go in the foreign film category because he's American... Big mistake!

What is Surf's Up doing there?????

My sadness though, goes to Helena Bonham Carter who didn't score a nomination for Sweeney Todd. I was also pulling for Jennifer Garner for her performance in Juno.

And Hal Holbrook, as good as he is in Into The Wild, more deserving people were overlooked ie: Paul Dano for There Will Be Blood and even Michael Cera and J.K. Simmon's for Juno.

I haven't seen any of the foreign film nominations either mukooh

Can't wait to see Amy Adams singing up on stage for the Enchanted songs

Surprised there weren't more Atonement nominations!

Now these are just my opinions and they aren't meant to bash or attack anyone else's. Can't wait to see other's opinions
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim

Last edited by jackiehydelover; 01-22-2008 at 03:07 PM
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Moderator Support Team

Hmm. Nothing that is making me jump up and down with happiness or making me say "are you kidding". No big surprises really. And I don't know that there are any huge upsets although of course there were movies/actors overlooked as normal.

I'm happy for Viggo getting a nom! Same for Casey Affleck and Amy Ryan.

I love Cate but a nom for Elizabeth. Really? I see the nom for the Dylan movie but not for that one. Took a spot I would rather have seen someone else have. Same for Phillip Seymour Hoffman in his category.

This year's race seems pretty predictable to me as far as who will win.

I was a bit surprised to see Burton overlooked as I thought he would get a nom.

Thought we might see noms for James McAvoy (Atonement) and Keri Russell (Waitress), so that was disappointing.

I think Benicio Del Toro getting overlooked for Things We Lost in the Fire is a big jip. One of the best performances I saw last year although not many people saw the movie. Halle Berry was great too. Painful movie to watch but I thought it was beautifully done and Benicio really stood out.

There are still movies that were nominated I need to see, so I'll have to get on that in the next few weeks.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Elite Fan

God, are they trying to make this year's awards ceremony more boring then past awards.

Denzel Washington was snubbed... and Juno (while I loved the movie to tears) I feel will also be snubbed. And I'm surprised Keira Knightly and James McAvoy... with all that buzz, were also completely snubbed. And no offense to Johnny Depp fans, but I always feel like if he does a movie...automatic nomination these days.

I'd like to say "yay or Ellen Page" but, it's pretty obvious for this movie, the most she'll get is a nomination.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread