Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

500 Days of Summer (2009) #1: "This is not a love story. It's a story about love."

I just recently watched 500 Days of Summer, and I absolutely fell in love with it! It's a refreshing take on the typical romantic comedy, and a must-see for the summer! Joseph and Zooey were wonderful together! Great soundtrack, too! Any other fans? Here are the trailers below for those who haven't heard of it.

TRAILER #1
TRAILER #2

Rukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

I really hope I get to see this movie on Sunday. Honestly, I've been anticipating it all summer.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

hi....i saw the '(500) days of summer' over a month ago and really enjoyed it as welll.............it also has a killer soundtrack.....which i have...

i happened to see this article in the los angeles times today....regarding the soundtrack to the film.....hopefully your thread will take off, as soon as others see this wonderful film......

'500 Days' of music: The soundtrack behind the sleeper hit

'(500) Days of Summer': A tale of dangerous rock 'n' roll romanticism?

L.A. as filtered by love in '(500) Days of Summer'
By Todd Martens

August 22, 2009
Los Angeles Times

In director Marc Webb's breakout indie hit "(500) Days of Summer," the words "you have good taste in music" are as meaningful as "I love you." Characters in the twentysomething modern love story, set in downtown Los Angeles, connect over a mutual appreciation of gloomy '80s-rock romantics the Smiths, and emotions including adulation and heartache are all broadcast via drunken karaoke.

Music has been a key selling point to "(500) Days of Summer," helped in part by one of the film's leads, Zooey Deschanel (when not acting, she's one half of She & Him, a vintage-spiked indie pop group). Indeed, the growing sleeper success of the Fox Searchlight flick isn't limited to the film world, as its soundtrack is proving to be a steady seller as well. Largely in limited release since July 17, the well-reviewed film, made for less than $10 million, has earned close to $20 million.

"It's a reflection of a very personal time in someone's life, and it's not wrapped in a high concept," Webb said of the movie. "It bares its soul, and I think people are really appreciating that."

The ill-fated love affair between Deschanel's elusive Summer and Joseph Gordon- Levitt's sensitive everyman Tom, told in an inventive non-sequential narrative that hopscotches over the 500 days of their relationship, is documented with a left-of-center score. Regina Spektor's piano-based fairy tale "Us" sets the tone, while Hall & Oates represent the emotional peak, and Simon & Garfunkel the low. The Sire/Warner Bros. soundtrack has posted sales increases each of the last three weeks. Since its early July release, it has sold 42,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

That may seem a modest number, especially when the Atlantic Records soundtrack to "Twilight" has sold more than 2 million copies. Yet soundtracks aren't mainstays on the U.S. pop chart these days. The Reprise soundtrack to "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," featuring a hyped new tune from Linkin Park, has sold only 23,000 copies.

"We always felt that every relationship has a soundtrack," said Scott Neustadter, who co-wrote the film with Michael H. Weber. "Music plays a role in any kind of relationship, and it would not have been as real-feeling if we didn't acknowledge that."

The filmmakers didn't get every song on their wish list. A karaoke scene is missing Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" because Webb's request for clearance was denied. The director shot alternative takes of some scenes, sans music cues, in case clearances were denied.

Yet music doesn't always have to be heard to play a role. The audience learns about Summer through her musical taste -- she championed indie band Belle & Sebastian in high school, and her favorite Beatle is Ringo. The script is full of musical nods -- or warnings.

"If you bond over the Smiths, for example, that's not good," Neustadter said. "That's a recipe for disaster."

Actors Joseph Gordon-Levitt, left and Zooey Deschanel perform in a scene from the movie " (500) Days of Summer."
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Elite Fan

I loved this movie too! I thought it was fantastic and one of the best movies I've seen all year

And I have the soundtrack too mukooh
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

I loved the soundtrack to this film. I have to find it somewhere.

I liked the film all right. It didn't feel complete, but that was the point. But I especially liked the artwork tossed in and, oh, the clothes.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not sure if this is playing near me, but I was looking forward to it.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Does anyone have a picture of Tom & Autumn?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Absolute Fan

It's not out here yet, few more weeks but I'm looking forward to it!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

I saw this film the other day at a free preview screening. It was amazing. Best film of the year for me. I love the non linear timeline as it jumped back and forth, and the way we could tell the mood of the day depending on the colouring/artwork of the numbered section. JGL and Zooey were fantastic, you could really feel their characters and what they were like. Zooey's character could so easily have been seen as cold but the way she played it you could tell Summer hadn't meant to hurt him at all. And I love how it deviated from the norm of Hollywood that if you like the same music/etc then clearly you are destined for each other, it was a far more realistic and heartwarming take on love. I'll definitely see it again when it officially comes out.

The music was amazing, I need to go out and buy the soundtrack.
I loved the clothes too.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

I loved how the story was told, too. It kept my interest. It went along with the ups and downs that occur in a relationship. You have bad days, and you have good days.

I loved it when they did the 'expectations' and 'reality' split screens. That was really neat. It was a heartbreaking scene though. The split screens made it hit your heart even more.

Joseph and Zooey were so awesome! Yeah, their clothes were great! It helped with their overall cuteness. I loved Joseph. He expressed so many emotions and did a good job of it, too. It seemed believable. God, I cannot get over the looks he gives Summer in the movie. He looked so adoring.

I loved the soundtrack, and I would love to have it!

Rukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukia (View Post)
I loved it when they did the 'expectations' and 'reality' split screens. That was really neat. It was a heartbreaking scene though. The split screens made it hit your heart even more.
I loved that scene! It was awesome. It was really sad, I totally agree. But totally relatable. I can think of so many times where I go somewhere expecting something and getting a completely different thing

I have a total girl!crush on Zooey Deschanel those eyes
And Joseph is just adorable The dance sequence was hilarious people in my theatre were completely cracking up.

It has an amazing soundtrack
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Elite Fan

I love her haircut in this movie! Next time I go to the salon, I'm totally getting it done!
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Fan

I LOOOVE this movie. It's my favorite movie of this year. I can relate to it and it's honest about relationships. It's not like those cliches of romantic comedy which I love.

My favorite scene was the expectations vrs reality cause i can relate to that soo much and the music that went along with it was heartbreaking.

JGL and Zooey have like the best chemistry.

And the soundtrack is amazing..I highly recommend you buy it.
MeganMila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM
New Fan

Gosh, I'm so jealous everyone's been able to see this film. Haven't heard a bad review from anyone..
halohalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Master Fan

I had to drive an hour to see this movie. Worth every cent. Maybe I'm slightly biased because I have the biggest crush on Zooey, but I thought she was fantastic in this film. I already forgot she was in The Happening. I love that it's not as predictable as it looks, but they tell you straight up it's not a love story. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. Definitely on my top ten of this year.
scone of joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top