Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

2007 Golden Globes - Discussion

Double vision overtook this year's Golden Globe nominations, with Clint Eastwood drawing dual director nods for his matched World War II epics "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima," while Leonardo DiCaprio pulled off an equally rare pair for his starring roles in "The Departed" and "Blood Diamond." Major studios also engineered something of a modest comeback in nominations for the 64th annual Globe Awards announced Thursday morning. In addition to Warner Bros.' "The Departed" in the drama category, 20th Century Fox's "Borat" and "The Devil Wears Prada" snagged bids in the comedy/musical balloting, as did the Paramount/Dreamworks collaboration "Dreamgirls." Throw in Fox Searchlight's "Little Miss Sunshine " and "Thank You for Smoking," and the News Corp. units amassed four of five nominees in the comedy field. Fleshing out the drama voting were "Babel" – the most-nominated film overall, with seven – the historical piece "Bobby," "Little Children" and "The Queen," whose star, Helen Mirren, equaled Jamie Foxx's record for three nominations in a single year. Beyond that role, she was recognized for playing another queen in HBO's miniseries "Elizabeth I" as well as the final installment of PBS' mini "Prime Suspect: The Final Act." Presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn., the Globes' acting categories were as usual extremely telegenic, including a supporting nod to Jack Nicholson – already the proud owner of a record six Globes – for "The Departed." This year is also notable for an anomaly in the foreign-language film category, where two U.S.-produced movies – Eastwood's "Iwo Jima," in Japanese; and Mel Gibson's violent epic "Apocalypto" – received nominations, edging out international projects. As a result, that category might be the least significant in terms of serving as a bellwether for the Oscars, where only non-U.S. productions are eligible. Although the Globes are historically considered a strong predictor for the Oscars -- having matched the best picture winner all but once from 1993 to 2004 -- the two have diverged the last two years, when "Crash" and "Million Dollar Baby" were anointed best picture by the motion picture academy. The HFPA honored "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Aviator," respectively, as outstanding drama those years. Eastwood's nominations set up a sort of rematch with Scorsese, up for "The Departed," after Eastwood took the prize two years ago. After "Babel," "Departed" tallied six nominations and "Dreamgirls" five. "Nashville" remains the most-nominated film in Globe history, earning nine bids (but just one award) in 1976. Because of their prominent role in the movie kudo season, the television categories generally garner less hoopla. That said, the mid-TV season timing of the Globes does allow the group to quickly recognize first-year programs early in their run -- a trend that has extended back several seasons, including best-series nods to a half-dozen newcomers last year. Newcomers this year include HBO's "Big Love," NBC's "Heroes" and ABC's "Ugly Betty." HBO again led by network, with 14 nominations. The awards will be presented Jan. 15 and televised for the 12th consecutive year on NBC. Warren Beatty will receive the Cecil B. DeMille award. And the nominees are... MOTION PICTURE
DRAMA
"Babel" "Bobby" "The Departed" "Little Children" "The Queen"

ACTRESS (DRAMA)
Penelope Cruz - "Volver" Judi Dench - "Notes on a Scandal" Maggie Gyllenhall - "Sherrybaby" Helen Mirren - "The Queen" Kate Winslet - "Little Children"

ACTOR (DRAMA)
Leonardo DiCaprio - "Blood Diamond" Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Departed" Peter O'Toole - "Venus" Will Smith - "The Pursuit of Happyness" Forest Whitaker - "The Last King of Scotland"

MUSICAL OR COMEDY
"Borat" "The Devil Wears Prada" "Dreamgirls" "Little Miss SUnshine" "Thank You For Smoking"

ACTRESS (MUSICAL OR COMEDY)
Annette Bening - "Running with Scissors" Toni Collette - "Little Miss Sunshine" Beyonce Knowles - "Dreamgirls" Meryl Streep - "The Devil Wears Prada" Rene Zellweger - "Miss Potter"

ACTOR (MUSICAL OR COMEDY)
Sasha Baron Cohen - "Borat" Johnny Depp - "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" Aaron Eckhart - "Thank You for Smoking" Chiwetel Ejiofor - "Kinky Boots" Will Farrell - "Stranger Than Fiction"

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
"Apocalypto'" "Letters from Iwo Jima" "The Lives of Others" "Pan's Labyrinth" "Volver"

ANIMATED FILM
"Cars" "Happy Feet" "Monster House"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Adriana Barraza - "Babel" Kate Blanchett - "Notes on a Scandal" Emily Blunt - "The Devil Wears Prada" Jennifer Hudson - "Dreamgirls" Rinko Kikuchi - "Babel"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck - "Hollywoodland" Jack Nicholson - "The Departed" Eddie Murphy - "Dreamgirls" Brad Pitt - "Babel" Mark Wahlberg - "The Departed"

DIRECTOR
Clint Eastwood - "Flags of Our Fathers" Clint Eastwood - "Letters from Iwo Jima" Stephen Freers - "The Queen" Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - "Babel" Martin Scorcese - "The Departed"

SCREENPLAY
"Babel" "Little Children" "Notes on a Scandal" "The Departed" "The Queen"

ORIGINAL SCORE
"The Painted Veil" "The Fountain" "Babel" "Nomad" "The Da Vinci Code"

ORIGINAL SONG
- "Pursuit of Happyness" "Listen" - "Dreamgirls" "Never Gonna Break My Faith" - "Bobby" - "Happy Feet"
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'll be the first to post my thoughts

The Departed, Babel and Little Miss Sunshine are my favorite movies of 2006 (So far...I've yet to see Dreamgirls). I'm crazy excited to see movies that I actually love get nominated.

I'm happy to see Kate Winslet get a nomination, and to see Leo get nominated twice.

Sadly though--I'm figuring neither one of them will win...It seems all the momentum is for Helen Mirren and Forrest Whitaker to win.

It'll be interesting come Oscar time to see which movie Leo gets nominated for (The Academy does not allow the same actor to be nominated twice in the same category).

I'm really surprised to see Bobby nominated--Every review I've read tears it apart.

So discuss...any surprises? Any early predictions?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for starting the thread.

tao - Is there a Babel thread? Did you post your thoughts on it. I saw this movie, but I wasn't as impressed as most I guess. I thought it was interesting and that the acting was good, but I don't know.

I'm super excited that Little Miss Sunshine got a nomination!!!

So happy for Leo's nominations. Well deserved!

I'm pretty happy to see Bobby nominated. It did seem to get ripped apart by the critics, but I thought it was pretty teriffic!!!!!!!! I'm stoked it made it in!!!

I agree the momentum does seem to be for Forest Whitaker and Helen Mirren. I haven't seen either of those movies so I can't comment.

I think Happy Feet will win the animated category.

I'd love to see Martin Scorcese win for best director, but I'm kind of doubting it.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Elite Fan

I've only seen The Departed this year. I have to go out and see some movies! Anyway, I'm so happy that Leonardo Dicaprio is getting such praise, he's turned into an incredible actor!

Clint Eastwood is a beast.

Again, I'll have more to comment when I some more movies.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I have to say a lot of those movies I haven't seen. I only saw The Queen and Devil Wears Prada. They were both great movies so I'll root for them
Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Obsessed Fan

I don't think I ever did post on the Babel thread---I actually really enjoyed the movie. It's not my number one favorite of the year--but it's in my top 5 (The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, V for Vendetta, Babel, Pirates -which will probably be replaced by Dreamgirls when I see it)

As for Babel--I'm really excited about seeing the acting nods it got. For the best supporting actress category between the two actresses from Babel--I'd have to give it to Adriana Barraza. She was stunningly great in the movie. And finally Brad Pitt got a bit of love from the award show circuit. He's been noticibly missing from a few critics lists...and this was honestly the only movie I've ever actually enjoyed his work.

Clint Eastwood is a beast--what about Helen Mirren! She was nominated three times (1 for movies and 2 for tv)!

Hey Rockstar---it may have been the only movie you've seen this year--but at least you picked the best one of the year!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Elite Fan

I really want to see Babel!

I am so happy for Leonardo, Jennifer, and 'Little Miss Sunshine'

Johnny got a nom too!

Hugh Laurie better win!!!!!
Sheebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I don't think I ever did post on the Babel thread---I actually really enjoyed the movie. It's not my number one favorite of the year--but it's in my top 5 (The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, V for Vendetta, Babel, Pirates -which will probably be replaced by Dreamgirls when I see it)
That's pretty similar to my top 5 minus Babel. And I'm thinking the same about Dreamgirls. I can't wait to see it!

I agree about the work done in Babel..........some teriffic performances. And I'm not a Brad fan, but he was really good and deserves the nom. It's a tough choice between Rinko and Adriana........both were great!

I'm happy for Jennifer too and for Johnny.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Is it me or is this year's competition is a little bit weak?

I love Leo but did he need to be nominated twice in the same category. I'm afraid he'll lose because of the split vote. Plus why wasn't Ryan Gosling nominated. I haven't seen Half Nelson, but Ryan is always terrific, and all the critics raved about him when it opened.

Yay for Emily Blunt! Boo to Beyonce. I heard she's pretty decent in the movie, but decent is not awards worthy.

Yay for Ben Affleck. I thought Matt Damon would sneak though but I guess not.

Ellen Pompeo? Evengeline Lilly? I don't get it at all. No Kristen Bell or Lauren Graham, Jeanne Trippletorn. Boo

I like Katherine Heigl but I rather see Kate Walsh's name up there.
Nora: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
diamondroad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

i;m happy for dreamgirls of course...but how do nominations for the GG get chosen? since dreamgirls isn't officially out yet how was it able to be nominated?? lol i'm confused
Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Extreme Fan

If it's out this year it could be nominated. It'll be out Christmas day!

I'm rooting for Cate or Emily myself in that category.
Nora: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
diamondroad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Moderator Support Team

I think as long as the movie is released in theaters before the end of the year it qualifies. And even though some of the movies haven't been released in theaters yet, they have been screened.

I did expect Ryan Gosling to get nominated.

I've been thinking Leo's 2 noms in that category could hurt him which is sad.

I thought Matt Damon might get a nod, but I guess not.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

How are some of these movies nominated that haven't even came out yet? I thought the movies had to be already released to be nominated. I have never understood why so many movies that no one sees always get nominated.

Battlestar Galactica should have been nominated. It's not right that the show gets robbed just because it is science fiction.
House should have been nominated for best drama. Scrubs and My Name is Earl should have been nominated for best comedy. The category of best actor in a comedy series was picked perfectly.
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Absolute Fan

Evangeline Lilly? Get real.

I hope Helen Mirren wins for The Queen.

No Lauren Graham? Gee, what a shock. Stupid Golden Globes.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Moderator Support Team

The movies have been screened by the foreign press and various critics, etc.

No nomination for Djimon in Blood Diamond. That's kind of sad.
Reply   Post New Thread