Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Vampire-Diaries-Damon Salvatore-Episode-Discussion-Spoilers and Speculations Thread #99

The Vampire Diaries|Episode Discussion, Spoilers & Speculations

Promos

Episode Synopsis

4x19 - Pictures of You

PROM NIGHT IN MYSTIC FALLS — After making a decision that infuriates Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies) proposes a life-changing challenge for Rebekah (Claire Holt). Caroline (Caroline Accola) finds that her carefully laid plans for the perfect Senior Prom night are disrupted by Elena (Nina Dobrev), so she turns to an amused Klaus for a solution. Determined to get through to Elena, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley) both attend the prom, but the evening begins to spiral out of control despite their efforts. When Elena suddenly lashes out in a way no one could have predicted, Matt (Zach Roerig) turns to Rebekah for help. Finally, Bonnie (Kat Graham) makes a terrifying discovery, and Klaus receives a message that could change everything.

4x20 - The Originals

KLAUS RETURNS TO HIS PAST IN NEW ORLEANS — Acting on a mysterious tip that a plot is brewing against him in New Orleans, Klaus (Joseph Morgan) makes a trip to the town he and his family helped build. Klaus’ questions lead him to a reunion with his former protégé, Marcel (guest star Charles Michael Davis), a charismatic vampire who has total control over the human and supernatural inhabitants of New Orleans. Determined to help his brother find redemption, Elijah (Daniel Gillies) follows Klaus and soon learns that Hayley (guest star Phoebe Tonkin) has also come to the French Quarter searching for clues to her family history, and has fallen into the hands of a powerful witch named Sophie (guest star Daniella Pineda). Meanwhile, in Mystic Falls, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley) continue with their plan for Elena (Nina Dobrev), while Katherine (Nina Dobrev) reveals a surprising vulnerability to Rebekah (Claire Holt) and asks her to deliver a message. Chris Grismer directed the episode written by Julie Plec (#420).

4x21 - She's Come Undone

LET’S MAKE A DEAL — Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley) try a brutal new approach to provoke Elena (Nina Dobrev) into turning her humanity back on, and Caroline (Candice Accola) is frustrated when her attempt to intervene backfires. When Elena figures out a way to call the Salvatore brothers’ bluff, they call for backup from a surprising source. Matt (Zach Roerig) gives Rebekah (Claire Holt) some unsolicited advice on her life choices, and she tries to help him in return. Caroline has a confusing and dangerous encounter with Klaus (Joseph Morgan), and Katherine (Nina Dobrev) is suspicious when Bonnie (Kat Graham) makes her an offer that she promises will benefit them both. Darnell Martin directed the episode written by Michael Narducci & Rebecca Sonnenshine (#421).

4x22 - The Walking Dead

SOMETHING WICKED — As Graduation Day approaches, Caroline (Candice Accola) tries to distract Elena (Elena [sic] Dobrev) by focusing on simple tasks like sending out announcements, but Elena won’t be swayed from her new obsession. Sheriff Forbes (Marguerite MacIntyre) calls Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley) to the hospital, where someone has been attacking patients. Still trying to force Katherine (Elena [sic] Dobrev) to help her, Bonnie (Kat Graham) refuses to give up on her plan to defeat Silas. As a violent wind storm causes a power outage in Mystic Falls, ghosts suddenly appear – some with good intentions and some bent on revenge. Zach Roerig and Claire Holt also star.

4x23 Graduation

Season 4 Spoilers

'The Vampire Diaries' Boss on Elena's 'Tsunami of Grief' and the Aftermath of [Spoiler's] Death | TV News | Hollywood.com

‘Vampire Diaries’ spoilers: E.P. Julie Plec talks Damon and Elena’s romance post-humanity switch, plus Klaus/Caroline and the spinoff - Zap2it

'The Vampire Diaries' scoop: Julie Plec teases 'new vampire Elena' | Inside TV | EW.com

The Vampire Diaries Boss on Dark Elena - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

‘The Vampire Diaries’ EP Julie Plec talks ‘My Brother’s Keeper’: Damon and Elena do the deed -- but are her feelings real? - Zap2it

The Vampire Diaries’ Damon and Elena: Are Her Feelings Real? The Big Boss Spills! | E! Online

Julie Plec Interview about Prom, Season Finale and Season 5

Filming/Promo Pics:

4x19

*all credit to the original owners

Last edited by tragedy; 04-17-2013 at 07:09 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Master Fan

Tftnt!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Tftnt!

Does anyone have any guesses what that Damon image tweet from Chris Grismer was about? It's probably finale related, right? Since that's what they're currently filming. Last time he tweeted a Damon image it was alluding to His Vaughn torture, but this foggy one is just sort of odd w/ the caption "Damon appears."

Quote:
Chris Grismer @ Chris Grismer
Damon appears. #tvd Photo by chrisgrismer • Instagram
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

tftnt

If anyone of the triangle is to take the cure, I want it to be Damon. (I've been saying this for awhile now).

I think Damon's character presents the most interesting storyline amnesia or no amnesia. And I agree that it works nicely to prop up Stefan. I would like to see Damon focus on something other than Elena so the amnesia storyline is interesting to me.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razo (View Post)
I mean even with the crap SB plot that kept DE apart it was still DE angst, not SE angst.
Well, given how quick Stefan was to give up on Elena, I am not surprised they haven't had any real angst. Stefan loves a certain image of Elena in his mind, the perfect little human girlfriend who loves him and adores him and makes him feel good about himself. This season Elena kept shattering that image, turned into a vampire, declared she was in love with Damon (and Stefan may try to write it all off as something that happened because of the sirebond and try to make Damon feel guilty about it and make him think she wouldn't choose him if she was "herself" but I think deep inside a part of him actually knows her feelings for Damon are genuine and it is killing him), and now turned into a "bad vampire" to top it all...

When Damon loves someone, he loves them unconditionally, as who they are, with their bad and the good. So, Elena becoming a vampire was never a huge deal for Damon - he wished her to remain a human, because that's what she'd want and that's the driving force behind his actions. He doesn't want to be selfish with her.
Love crime

LOGH

Last edited by Schumiac; 04-11-2013 at 09:29 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Does anyone have any guesses what that Damon image tweet from Chris Grismer was about?
Interesting but I'm not sure about its meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumiac (View Post)
Well, given how quick stefan was to give up on Elena, I am not surprised they hadn't have any real angst.
For me, Stefan gave up so easily and quickly it was shocking... totally killed SE for me.

Quote:
When Damon loves someone, he loves them unconditionally, as who they are, with their bad and the good. So, Elena becoming a vampire was never a huge deal for Damon - he wished her to remain a human, because that's what she'd want and that's the driving force behind his actions. He doesn't want to be selfish with her.
Yes!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't really have any interest in watching Damon be miserable and being human because he'd be weak, a liability to the gang, and would basically have nothing to do. His life isn't special. No one is trying to keep him alive because his blood means something. He's not Elena. As a human, Damon holds no importance and thus would be an easy kill. I would find it really werid and unbelievable for him to stay alive longer than an episode or two. One snap of the neck and he'd be dead.

Completely tuned off by the thought of ruining Damon's character in that way. Yeah he may be still funny but that's about it. Big whoop.

Again, if Damon lost all of his memories while he was a vampire then why wouldn't he go for Katherine? that's the last person he loved before he turned? How would they explain why he doesn't feel that way if they went the amnesia route.

It's just horrible storytelling that's not going to end in a good place for either Damon or DE. Elena is going to be dealing with her humanity stuff and I doubt the writers are going to write her chasing after Damon. Not gonna happen. If they wanted to do that they had the perfect chance with the bond. Damon would be either miserable and weak as a human with Stefan protecting him (ugh) or be chasing after Katherine (doible ugh). I'll pass on both of these options.

Personally, Elena should turn human and we reset for her to go to college and deal with her guilt and Jeremy's death as a human.

And the memory loss storyline would just reset the triangle. The chances of it being about either Damon or Elena re-falling in love is again? Slim to none.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Well, given how quick stefan was to give up on Elena, I am not surprised they hadn't have any real angst. Stefan loves a certain image of Elena in his mind, the perfect little human girlfriend who loves him and adores him and makes him feel good about himself. This season Elena kept shattering that image, turned into a vampire, declared she was in love with Damon (and Stefan may try to write it all off as something that happened because of the sirebond and try to make Damon feel guilty about it and make him think she wouldn't choose him if she was "herself" but I think deep inside a part of him actually knows her feelings for Damon are genuine and it is killing him), and now turned into a "bad vampire" to top it all...

Every word is so true! Love this post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann357 (View Post)
For me, Stefan gave up so easily and quickly it was shocking... totally killed SE for me.
It really showed how easily he gives up, and makes it hard to think of him being that in love with Elena. Even now, his plans are just to get out of town after turning Elena human and leaving her with no family (and no house). He should at least be a friend to her, but all he'd decided is that he needs his own life and doesn't want to deal with her anymore. Wow.

Last edited by Razo; 04-11-2013 at 09:49 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigious28 (View Post)
I don't really have any interest in watching Damon be miserable and being human because he'd be weak, a liability to the gang, and would basically have nothing to do. His life isn't special. No one is trying to keep him alive because his blood means something. He's not Elena. As a human, Damon holds no importance and thus would be an easy kill. I would find it really werid and unbelievable for him to stay alive longer than an episode or two. One snap of the neck and he'd be dead.

Completely tuned off by the thought of ruining Damon's character in that way. Yeah he may be still funny but that's about it. Big whoop.

Again, if Damon lost all of his memories while he was a vampire then why wouldn't he go for Katherine? that's the last person he loved before he turned? How would they explain why he doesn't feel that way if they went the amnesia route.

It's just horrible storytelling that's not going to end in a good place for either Damon or DE. Elena is going to be dealing with her humanity stuff and I doubt the writers are going to write her chasing after Damon. Not gonna happen. If they wanted to do that they had the perfect chance with the bond. Damon would be either miserable and weak as a human with Stefan protecting him (ugh) or be chasing after Katherine (doible ugh). I'll pass on both of these options.

Personally, Elena should turn human and we reset for her to go to college and deal with her guilt and Jeremy's death as a human.

And the memory loss storyline would just reset the triangle. The chances of it being about either Damon or Elena re-falling in love is again? Slim to none.

Because even if he woke up from "the cure" as if he is still his civil war era self who just took along nap, one good talk with Stefan (who he'll still love and trust a lot, given 150 years of bad blood between them is also gone) where he learns things like how his beloved was actually totally lying to him about him being the one and was secretly feeding his brother (through compulsion no less) her blood to turn him too because she just wanted to keep both her toys with her and how he spent all his vampire life looking for her when she was actually free and roaming the world and never once even checked on him because she wanted nothing to do with him and could care less for all his pain and love etc. etc., in short, where he learns the "truth" about Katherine and their so-called love, why on earth would Damon still love her? Human Damon knew Katherine was a vampire & didn't care, true, but he didn't know who Katherine really was - didn't really know her "character" and her true feelings regarding him and Stefan. Hearing the story of how this woman ruined their lives and was a master manipulator and a liar etc. from his kid brother will probably be quite affective for Damon -he'll be heartbroken, he'll feel betrayed, he'll feel stupid etc. but in love? Nope. Don't see it at all. Besides, this time around Katherine is going to be more straight forward with him as the "game" appeal of it is all gone (Stefan is not human and is not going for her affections) and she finds human Damon to be a bore and she will have a lot more on her plate than to waste time toying around with him...

I don't want to see Damon as human really but I don't agree that he'd just be killed instantly. He doesn't have "special blood" that makes him valuable to villains, yes. That also means he doesn't necessarily have villains coming after him non-stop to acquire that blood though. Matt is human and a teenager and he has been around all this time. Alaric was human and he wasn't a liability, he was part of Team Bad-Ass! And I may not like Stefan, but he of course loves his brother deep down and he'd be watching after Damon and trying to make sure nothing happened to him. Likewise Elena would also never let anyone harm Damon. Damon does matter to those who loves him-whether vampire or human, and he'll have people on his side who will try to keep alive.

So, if I had my way, Damon would never ever become human but I think IF he became human, I don't think they'd make him that useless and incapable. He could still manage to be a valuable part of the group -after the initial adaptation period. Actually, that would probably be part of his "human Damon" sl.
Love crime

LOGH
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigious28 (View Post)
Damon holds no importance? Maybe not to any big villain out there but he means a whole hell of a lot to Elena and even Stefan. I mean, yea, he'd be vulnerable to any threat out there, but I don't think it'd be as black and white as you're making it out to be. Even as a human, Elena was fairly strong and I'm sure Damon would be the same way. He's not gonna be some weakling that will crumble under a feather light touch. And honestly. .while I don't want to see Damon unable to take care of himself, I wouldn't mind seeing Elena and the rest of the gang actually have to put their neck out there for him just as he's done for them so many times even when he didn't want to. Damon is far from worthless whether he's human or not. And I feel like that should be proven. If anything, it should be proven for Damon himself and his character growth. Damon has always felt he doesn't deserve to be loved or worth even being in this world. And I'm sure if he becomes human, those insecurities will become even stronger cuz he'll be thinking "we'll I'm human now and who in their right mind will even want to protect me after everything I've done?" But it'll be proven just the opposite. It's a nice way to show Damon just how much Elena does love him.

I'll admit I don't particularly trust the TVD writers to carry such an interesting SL and do it wonderfully. In fact, I'm prepared for the worst. But that doesn't change the fact that i feel it'd be a different and fresh approach to the show. But obviously that's a matter of opinion.

Bellamy and Clarke
{The Rebel & The Princess}
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinJames23 (View Post)
Damon holds no importance? Maybe not to any big villain out there but he means a whole hell of a lot to Elena and even Stefan. I mean, yea, he'd be vulnerable to any threat out there, but I don't think it'd be as black and white as you're making it out to be. Even as a human, Elena was fairly strong and I'm sure Damon would be the same way. He's not gonna be some weakling that will crumble under a feather light touch. And honestly. .while I don't want to see Damon unable to take care of himself, I wouldn't mind seeing Elena and the rest of the gang actually have to put their neck out there for him just as he's done for them so many times even when he didn't want to. Damon is far from worthless whether he's human or not. And I feel like that should be proven. If anything, it should be proven for Damon himself and his character growth. Damon has always felt he doesn't deserve to be loved or worth even being in this world. And I'm sure if he becomes human, those insecurities will become even stronger cuz he'll be thinking "we'll I'm human now and who in their right mind will even want to protect me after everything I've done?" But it'll be proven just the opposite. It's a nice way to show Damon just how much Elena does love him.

I'll admit I don't particularly trust the TVD writers to carry such an interesting SL and do it wonderfully. In fact, I'm prepared for the worst. But that doesn't change the fact that i feel it'd be a different and fresh approach to the show. But obviously that's a matter of opinion.
I agree. Also I am pretty sure Elena and her dealing with her humanity off/guilt thing will be over at the season finale. It won't go further than this.
And bringing this post over from the previous thread, bc I must say "word" to it

Quote:
rago
Agree w/ all of niadk LuvinJames23 and Valeria posts beginning on p18.

In addition, I don't think a Human-Damon story would be a way to focus on Stefan at all. The show doesn't need to make Damon human to make Stefan the "badass" brother. They could just write Stefan that way, and not write Damon as well as they do. It's JP's show, she's had years to make Stefan the cool brother, but that hasn't happened. She writes him bad on the show and then defends him in interviews (it's like a consolation prize )

They summed it up in 3x15, with "Damon: I'm better at being the bad guy anyway." And JP's comments last year that Damon was their "BUffy" (he got all the witty comments etc.).

4x11 is the only episode this season where Stefan really tried to act like Damon, but 4x13 was right back to Damon being the one to figure things out/take care of business. As annoyed as I am by JP and CD's writing, the one thing they are consistent in is that Damon gets to be basass. CD co-wrote 4x07, and Damon's the one that knows Shane's shading and is the one to realizes Hailey's up to no good. CD wrote 4x13, and Damon's the one to try to get info out of Shane and had the emotional arc in that ep; he was the only one to get any real action in that ep. JP wrote 4x15, and once again Damon is the one getting things done, finding Bonnie, torturing Vaughn, and hell, he was still the one to comfort Elena at the end of the day.

Neither JP or CD seem to want Damon to be happy, but they both do seem to write stories that focus on him.

I highly doubt S5 will focus on Elena's emotional turmoil of having the switch off, because really that's just not what this show does. Caroline killed 12 people in 4x17 and it was barely a thing by 4x18. Elena's vamp storyline will likely be over by season end and then next season will either be her human again or a normal functioning vamp (where you basically act like your human self, but drink blood - Sort of like Elena at the beginning of this season).

I originally had mixed feelings about a Human-Damon storyline, but I do think it has real potential and like it the more I consider it. I doubt it would last that long, but it would be an interesting character arc for Damon and would likely involve Elena being there for him (while usually he's the one there for her).

I don't believe anyone will get amnesia. I doubt even JP would know how to defend that decision if they did it to Elena (and erased a season of development) and I doubt they'd do it to Damon because writing him as Human Damon would frankly be too difficult for them. As Valeria said, it would actually be interesting, but it's too drastic of a dynamic change for TVD, IMO. Human Damon with his memories will still act like vamp Damon, and writing him having to deal with being less strong and living with mortality is a storyline I can see them writing more easily. Trying to write him as his more innocent human counterpart (who I loved!) would probably require KW, I think.

Absolute Fan

Quote:
Because even if he woke up from "the cure" as if he is still his civil war era self who just took along nap, one good talk with Stefan (who he'll still love and trust a lot, given 150 years of bad blood between them is also gone) where he learns things like how his beloved was actually totally lying to him about him being the one and was secretly feeding his brother (through compulsion no less) her blood to turn him too because she just wanted to keep both her toys with her and how he spent all his vampire life looking for her when she was actually free and roaming the world and never once even checked on him because she wanted nothing to do with him and could care less for all his pain and love etc. etc., in short, where he learns the "truth" about Katherine and their so-called love, why on earth would Damon still love her? Human Damon knew Katherine was a vampire & didn't care, true, but he didn't know who Katherine really was - didn't really know her "character" and her true feelings regarding him and Stefan. Hearing the story of how this woman ruined their lives and was a master manipulator and a liar etc. from his kid brother will probably be quite affective for Damon -he'll be heartbroken, he'll feel betrayed, he'll feel stupid etc. but in love? Nope. Don't see it at all. Besides, this time around Katherine is going to be more straight forward with him as the "game" appeal of it is all gone (Stefan is not human and is not going for her affections) and she finds human Damon to be a bore and she will have a lot more on her plate than to waste time toying around with him...

I don't want to see Damon as human really but I don't agree that he'd just be killed instantly. He doesn't have "special blood" that makes him valuable to villains, yes. That also means he doesn't necessarily have villains coming after him non-stop to acquire that blood though. Matt is human and a teenager and he has been around all this time. Alaric was human and he wasn't a liability, he was part of Team Bad-Ass! And I may not like Stefan, but he of course loves his brother deep down and he'd be watching after Damon and trying to make sure nothing happened to him. Likewise Elena would also never let anyone harm Damon. Damon does matter to those who loves him-whether vampire or human, and he'll have people on his side who will try to keep alive.

So, if I had my way, Damon would never ever become human but I think IF he became human, I don't think they'd make him that useless and incapable. He could still manage to be a valuable part of the group -after the initial adaptation period. Actually, that would probably be part of his "human Damon" sl.
THIS!!! So much!

Bellamy and Clarke
Loyal Fan

Damon would in no way be unimportant if he were human. We know both Elena and, yes, Stefan love him. I am also not the biggest Stefan fan (my like/dislike varies by episode), but he has consistently shown that he does care about his brother's life. He's saved Damon's life in the past while he's been a vampire. Why would he stop caring just because his brother was human? If anything, he'll care more just because Damon will actually be physical vulnerable to death in a way he wasn't as a vamp. Elena is just a given, no matter how they write S5 they've always written that she at least loves him as a friend.

By extension of Stefan and Elena, Caroline and Bonnie would both help if he was in danger or something. (even in that crap 3x18 ep Bonnie still called Elena and told her Damon was kidnapped). However, most humans in Mystic Falls don't need constant help/supervision anyway. As Schumiac said, Matt has been living human just fine and Alaric was always helping Damon and being Bad-ass.

Besides, if they did this, that 4x15 ring throwing moment will mean Damon will likely get the ring (I mean they didn't give have it burn, which was odd - why show it?-). Jeremy kept it on after the Alaric going crazy situation. I'm sure Elena and Stefan would both want Damon to wear it to be safe. This would make him less vulnerable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinJames23 (View Post)
I wouldn't mind seeing Elena and the rest of the gang actually have to put their neck out there for him just as he's done for them so many times even when he didn't want to. Damon is far from worthless whether he's human or not.
I would really like to see that too! But I agree I will not trust the writers interpretation of this scenario until I see it. Man, if they go this route I'm going to have a whole summer angsting over how it's going to be done.

EDIT:

Quote:
And bringing this post over from the previous thread, bc I must say "word" to it
"word" Love it!

Last edited by Razo; 04-11-2013 at 10:35 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

Besides, if they did this, that 4x15 ring throwing moment will mean Damon will likely get the ring (I mean they didn't give have it burn, which was odd - why show it?-). Jeremy kept it on after the Alaric going crazy situation. I'm sure Elena and Stefan would both want Damon to wear it to be safe. This would make him less vulnerable as well.
Ohhh good point! I had forgotten about the ring and I remember thinking it'll come back into play later on since she tossed it to Damon. I personally would love it if he's the next one to wear it cuz he practically is already part of the Gilbert family. Much more than Stefan ever was.

Bellamy and Clarke
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Master Fan

Nia, lyn, Razo... Ita with you guys!
And good call about the ring!