Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 AM
Moderator Support Team

you keep saying that but I won't leave that opinion out there without stating that I don't think so.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Prometheus is a prequel to Alien. And it was crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
you keep saying that but I won't leave that opinion out there without stating that I don't think so.
You seem to have a problem with me having my own opinion on this. Is this film so precious to you that you can't tolerate opposing opinions on the topic? Are you going to pop up wherever I go in the world, declaring "It's not so!" after every opinion I state that you don't like? It all seems rather exhausting. It strikes me it would be more energy-efficient for you to simply accept that I have a different opinion from you on this topic and let it go.

In case you feel the need to consider the matter more, here, for reference, is a recap on our previous discussion on the topic, from the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1

Prometheus was a load of bollocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickdrum

in your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1

Well of course it's in my opinion. Why would I say it if it wasn't my opinion? It'd be pretty funny if I was spouting somebody else's opinion.

Between Prometheus and Exodus: Gods and Whitewashing, I'm learning to stay away from Ridley Scott's films these days.
As you can see, I'm edging towards the conclusion that Ridley Scott's talent has perhaps gone into terminal decline. Happens to a lot of directors eventually. Look at Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut or Akira Kurosawa and those painfully distant epics, Ran and Kagemusha. I'm glad Scott won't be directing the Blade Runner sequel, though the presence of Ryan Gosling in the lead role has me somewhat worried.

Last edited by sum1; 03-15-2017 at 07:14 AM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 AM
It was Real. You and Me.

Either way it's a Fassy movie and may watch it for him maybe after the fact though not cinema
Come and Discuss the 9 NEW EPISODES
on the Prison Break board
just have a little faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Personally, I haven't gotten to the stage of watching all of Fassbender's films, but his double role in Alien: Covenant does present me with a dilemma -do I watch it as a film with a good deal of a good actor or do I avoid it because the director's last film on the subject basically vanished up its own arse?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 AM
It was Real. You and Me.

I would say give it a chance good actor double role sounds interesting
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

We'll see.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM
It was Real. You and Me.

Might be alright
Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The question we have to ask is what the Aliens are doing in the Convent in the first place.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:54 AM
It was Real. You and Me.

Which could be answered
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Who will get the upper hand, the aliens or the nuns?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
You seem to have a problem with me having my own opinion on this. Is this film so precious to you that you can't tolerate opposing opinions on the topic? Are you going to pop up wherever I go in the world, declaring "It's not so!" after every opinion I state that you don't like? It all seems rather exhausting. It strikes me it would be more energy-efficient for you to simply accept that I have a different opinion from you on this topic and let it go.

I found it important to mention in case your opinion puts people off watching a (imo) good movie. I don't want that to happen.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The people here have already watched the godforsaken movie and I can't say I think it'd be a tragedy if somebody was put off it. But we can't control the viewership of all films with a few posts on a message board and I think it's futile to try. I admit I do try sometimes myself, but I'm used to it going nowhere. I doubt your posts or my posts will influence who sees the movie.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well, let's all try to maintain a civil discourse here. Which I can see we're all doing. As far as Alien Covenant, I do agree somewhat with sum1 in that Prometheus was a disappointment for me considering that it really failed to align itself with the continuity of the first Alien movie, and as such the logic fell apart for me. I feel that James Cameron's Aliens made a better attempt(if not outright perfect attempt) to seamlessly fit into the continuity of Ridley Scott's original movie, whereas Ridley himself didn't really manage to fit Prometheus into alignment with his original film. Prometheus seemed to homage the first Alien more than actually explain how the Space Jockey and the alien ship got on LV-426 in the first place, as the planet in Prometheus was established as being an entirely different planet. And the life cycle of the alien in Prometheus was far and away different from what we saw in Alien, so I'm at a loss of what that story was supposed to be about.

But considering that the script for Prometheus was written by Damon Lindelof, the same guy who ruined LOST in its final few seasons and is generally considered one of the worst screenwriters in Hollywood next to Akiva Goldsman, I put the blame squarely on him and his "who cares as long as it looks cool" approach to writing, although I do wish Ridley had gotten a better screenwriter. The only positive thing I can see about Alien Covenant is that Lindelof has nothing to do with the script for this one, so I'm willing to give it a chance and see how well this one does, although I hope the damage hasn't already been done as a result of Prometheus. I also lament the fact that because of Prometheus, Guillermo Del Toro cancelled his planned adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness due to the similarities in the story.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM
It was Real. You and Me.

Yea I'll need to rewatch Prometheus cause watched it so long ago and personally don't remember anything of it think watched it for Fassy or maybe watched it from being a fan of Alien movies
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I still want to know what the Aliens are doing in a convent in Aliens: Convent.