New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks, sum1. I did have a good night's sleep and then I had breakfast. It's warm today, but cloudy and it's gonna rain this week.

Yeah, I know all that, sum1. I only meant that Luke's solo comic didn't last very long and the Power Man and Iron Fist comic lasted much longer, across the 70's and 80's until it was cancelled at the end of the 80's. Then they brought it back either in the late 90's or early 2000's. But by then the comics made them look like cartoon characters instead of the superheroes they were in the original. I also didn't like Marvel changing Luke from looking like Richard Roundtree in Shaft to Tupac Shakur with the shaved head and the gold chains. Was that their attempt at being cool and gangsta? It just seemed like a stereotype.

I just think that it's not necessary to break the two up, that's all. And there was never a Luke Cage/Jessica Jones comic as far as I know.

OMG, I just realized we don't have a three word post thread. Do you want one?
The Luke Cage solo comic lasted for over five years before Luke met Iron Fist. The Power Man and Iron Fist comic lasted a bit less than 6 years and ended in 1986. There was an intermediate period of about 3 years in which Luke and Iron Fist teamed up on Luke's comic (1977-1980). The Luke Cage solo comic came back in the early '90s. The Luke Cage/Iron Fist team up in the late '90s lasted less than two years. And this century, Luke has had plenty of time in comics without Iron Fist. So you can see there's plenty of reason to break the two up. Lots of precedent. Luke has a separate identity and they wanted to focus on Harlem and Luke's interaction with the people there.

Iron Fist is a lame character anyway, even in the comics.

I don't see the need for a three word thread.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, the series did start off as Hero For Hire in 1972, and later Power Man from 1974-1978, but then ran as Power Man and Iron Fist from 1978-1986.

But I get what you're saying, sum1. And did you know that Chris Claremont wrote Iron Fist?

This is what I read:

Quote:
Hero For Hire/Power Man

The series debuted as Hero For Hire #1, and became Power Man from #17 onwards. The cover logo included Luke Cage's name, so from #1–16 the cover logo read Luke Cage, Hero For Hire and from #17 onwards Luke Cage, Power Man. The series was initially written by Luke Cage's co-creator Archie Goodwin, pencilled by George Tuska, and inked by Billy Graham.

Power Man and Iron Fist

Eventually, Power Man's sales became unsustainable. Marvel decided to combine his series with Iron Fist, another once popular superhero who could no longer support his own series, in order to save both characters from full cancellation. Iron Fist joined the cast of Power Man in a three part story arc in #48–50. The series title changed to Power Man and Iron Fist with #50, though the indicia did not reflect this change until #67.

Iron Fist writer Chris Claremont penned the initial stories pairing the characters, but was soon forced to turn the series over to Jo Duffy due to his unmanageable workload. Duffy's run was noted for its lighthearted, humorous, character-driven tone, and had relatively few fight scenes. A young Kurt Busiek had his first regular assignment with the title, writing it from issue #90 to #100. He emulated the lighthearted humor of Duffy's run, not knowing that Duffy had been taken off Power Man and Iron Fist precisely because the editorial staff disapproved of her lighthearted tongue-in-cheek approach to the series.

Goodwin then returned to the series, but had difficulty keeping up with the work, and his brief second run was littered with issues by fill-in writers, including two by Busiek, Jim Owsley, another Marvel staffer, took over as regular writer. The series concluded with the death of Iron Fist in #125, a controversial story. Owsley later commented, "Fist’s death was senseless and shocking and completely unforeseen. It took the readers’ heads clean off. And, to this day, people are mad about it. Forgetting, it seems, that (a) you were supposed to be mad, that death is senseless and Fist’s death was supposed to be senseless, or that (b) this is a comic book."
So you have any plans for Easter?

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-31-2018 at 06:04 PM
Old 03-31-2018, 11:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Yes, I've read that stuff. But it wasn't offically Power Man and Iron Fist until 1981, no matter what it said on the cover.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 AM
Moderator Support Team
Alpha Raptor

This is for the month of May

Here's hoping some of you can join us on Sci-fi/Fantasy, we have an X-Men Thread too!

http://www.fanforum.com/f118/please-...enge-63205980/

Thanks!

~icon by a new hope
Old 04-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

I might show up there, but I'll try to ignore the fact that there's a posting challenge going on. I hate posting challenges.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Moderator Support Team
Alpha Raptor

any post is appreciated, posting challenge or not

~icon by a new hope
Old 04-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Happy Easter, everyone! And I'll try to post as much as I can on your board, Rita.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
any post is appreciated, posting challenge or not
I'll try to show there, some time when FF is moving faster and I'm not so tired.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, sum1! Yeah, FF is slow today, probably because of the April Fools' joke they played on everyone, rearranging the categories.

I'm tired as well, sum1. And I have to go to bed soon, so I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Goodnight and sleep well!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Moderator Support Team
Alpha Raptor

Thank you guys!

~icon by a new hope
Old 04-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome, Rita! It starts May 1st, right?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Hopefully I'll feel more energetic in May.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

It should get warmer by next week sum1. We'll all feel more energetic in warmer weather.

I hope you had a good night's sleep. I'm exhausted. This week has been just lousy at work.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

I slept. I hope your work gets easier.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm glad you got rested, sum1.

It should get better once we get more help. I just wish I could do my job instead of other people's jobs. I'm off tomorrow so I think I'm gonna sleep all morning.