Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

There's a million miles between Bush and Trump.

The electoral college system gives unfair advantage to sparsely populated states with a high proportion of rightwing voters. It's unjust. It needs to go now.

It doesn't make elections fair. It does the opposite. The popular vote should win it or democracy becomes meaningless.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
There's a million miles between Bush and Trump.

The electoral college system gives unfair advantage to sparsely populated states with a high proportion of rightwing voters. It's unjust. It needs to go now.

It doesn't make elections fair. It does the opposite. The popular vote should win it or democracy becomes meaningless.
sum1, popular vote in California is meaningless when California is about as different as you can get from the other 49 states. I think a lot of those other states like Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio would tell you that California might as well be another planet by comparison, and they don't want New York or California to decide how the country is run. You get rid of the electoral college you'd probably see the USA split apart because middle America wouldn't tolerate that. Also, it would take an act of congress and that's probably never gonna happen. One would make the counter argument that the coasts have a high proportion of left wing voters, and I'm not gonna have them ram their PC stuff down my throat all the time just because of their heavily populated coastal cities like LA, San Fran, NYC, and Boston. It's elitist talk like that which got that moron Trump elected in the first place because middle America left the mainstream Democratic and Republican parties and embraced populism. Now you and I are once again getting close to having a serious disagreement about this and I don't want that to affect our relationship here, so let's just drop this, okay?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

OK, we can agree to disagree.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, sum1. Please, I'd rather think of ways to get voters back to more rational candidates than rig the election system against mom and pop in rural and suburban USA in favor of latte-sipping urbanites. Bill Clinton showed Democrats how to win there. Bitching about electoral college, emails, and other stuff isn't gonna win elections or get Trump out. Stopping the elitist nonsense and being the party of the people again just might. I understand your passion, but I'm not gonna concede control of the electorate to Hollywood and Madison Avenue. That's all I wanna say about the subject because I'm getting reminded of how much I hated this election.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Agree to disagree means agree to disagree, not get in last jabs. I totally disagree with your view. You totally disagree with mine. Let's leave it at that.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay, let's leave it at that, then. Agree to disagree.

And I have to go to bed now, because I have to get up for work. I'll talk to you tomorrow, sum1. Goodnight and sleep well!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Night!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

it would have been democracy if the will of the majority counted. It doesn't. So let's not pretend there's democracy in the US.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ok, time out everybody. Let's not have nuclear war on this thread. Let's drop the topic so we can all get along.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, we already ended this discussion, Rita. No point in making things unpleasant on the OT thread or the board in general.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Ok, time out everybody. Let's not have nuclear war on this thread. Let's drop the topic so we can all get along.
Of course.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay, it looks like Matt Damon cleared some stuff up about Harvey Weinstein, so that early report was premature:

Matt Damon Denies He Helped Bury Earlier Expose About Weinstein

But what's going on with Harvey Weinstein is just disgusting. This guy was preying on Hollywood actresses for years, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Rosanna Arquette, and Angelina Jolie.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

I bet Matt Damon denies it.

Weinstein is such an extreme caee creeper. You know, this stuff used to go on in Hollywood all the time. Actresses used to have to sleep with the director to get the part, but I guess we all hoped those days were over.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh man, you'd better read this article then, sum1. First Matt Damon, and now his buddy Batfleck is getting dragged down into it. Not only is Rose McGowan calling Affleck out for acting like he had no idea about what Weinstein was doing when she herself told him about it back when they worked on a few films together in the 90's and Affleck had told her that he had told Weinstein to "stop it," but Affleck himself is getting called out for his own inappropriate behavior involving actress Hilarie Burton. And with his Batman career just starting it couldn't have come out at a worse time.

How the Harvey Weinstein scandal has become a nightmare for Ben Affleck and Matt Damon