Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

I found her pretty dreadful. Stiff and fake.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Like I said, she could've been written better and with a different actress.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think the character is pretty crappy in the comics and I've never liked January Jones' acting.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, but she's part of the Hellfire Club mythology, so you had to figure they'd use her eventually.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

By that standard they'd have to use Shinobi Shaw as well. And I don't see any sign of Selene and she was Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
By that standard they'd have to use Shinobi Shaw as well. And I don't see any sign of Selene and she was Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.
You're preaching to the choir. Who knows? They may show up in Dark Phoenix since the Hellfire Club was a major part of the storyline, trying to pull Jean into the group as their Red Queen.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Eva Green would make a good Selene. Selene's a seriously fearsome character and Eva can do that in her sleep.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Agreed. I'd cast Eva as any comic book character. From Catwoman to Spider-Woman.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Some she'd fit better than others. Selene is an immortal, life-draining predator. Fits Eva just right.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'd like to fit Eva just right.

But yeah, she would make a great Black Queen. I forgot, who was the White King? Because Shaw was the Black King, right?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Donald Pierce. He later led the Reavers, the cyborg thugs the X-Men clashed with in Ausralia.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ahh, thanks, sum1. Again, I wasn't quite as up on the X-Men villains as I was the Avengers and Fantastic Four when I was a kid.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

So provide me with a summary of what you thought Alex
Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Didn't you read my previous posts, Sarah? They're on the second page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
January Jones was nominated for an Emmy for her work on Mad Men, Sarah.

First of all, let me say that First Class is what X-Men 2000 should've been. It's very telling that the movie begins exactly where the first film began, with Erik watching his parents being taken away by the SS officers at a concentration camp(Auschwitz?) when his mutant magnetic ability suddenly manifests itself, causing the gate to bend. But instead of jumping decades ahead to where Magneto has become a geriatric, sophomoric, textbook villain, First Class shows how Erik was turned into a weapon by Hellfire Club leader Sebastian Shaw, who was working with the NAZIs at the time, but only to further his own agenda, and then jumping years ahead to when Erik is hunting down all the NAZIs responsible for the murder of his parents, including Shaw himself. It's almost as if the screenwriter is saying, this is how the story should've been told.

Meanwhile, the relationship between Charles Xavier and Raven Darkholme also begins in a far more benign atmosphere in the home of Charles' parents, which I assume is the Xavier mansion in Westchester, New York. It all unfolds with such unforced logic and seamlessness it makes me wonder how Zak Penn, the screenwriter for the first X-Men movie, can even look at himself in the mirror and call himself a screenwriter. If only the first X-Men movie had been structured this way, only with Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Hank McCoy, Warren Worthington, and Bobby Drake as the First Class. Wolverine is actually unnecessary to the story. He'd be better served in his own origin story involving Stryker and the Weapon X program, leading to his joining the X-Men in a sequel. I'll post more later.
Quote:
I agree. Although I do have some issues with the film, which I'll get into later.

But I think that First Class was far better structured than Zak Penn's meandering script in the first X-Men. Should've just been called Wolverine.
Quote:
I think they could've told the same story in the present day. I never liked them making Charles and Erik so old in the first X-Men movie. I wouldn't have begun with Auschwitz in WWII, I would've started in the 60's during the Berlin wall, and Erik's parents being taken from him by the Communist West Germans instead of the Nazis. The first X-Men film could've followed a similar plotline, only with Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby, and Warren, along with Raven, Erik, and Charles.

Quote:
I get what you're saying, sum1. But my issue is continuity. The farther we get from WWII, the less realistic it gets for Magneto to have survived the Holocaust. The Gifted takes place in the present day, and it's been confirmed that Polaris is Magneto's daughter on the show like in the comics. He'd be reeeeeaaaaalllllly old if he were an Auschwitz survivor. Putting the X-Men in the past with the First Class films prevents Fox from doing any contemporary X-Men films, not to mention it's unrealistic for the characters to not age over thirty years. Havok is a teen in 1963 during the Cuban Missile Crisis, then we see him in Vietnam in 1973, ten years later just before the Paris Peace Accords, and then ten years after that he's taking his brother Scott to the Xavier Institute in 1983. By then Alex should be in his late 30's and pushing 40, but he hardly looks a day over 25. And if the ten year trend continues, Dark Phoenix will take place in 1993, yet Scott and Jean will look the same as they did in 1983.

I mean, this works for Captain America because he was frozen in suspended animation after WWII, and Wonder Woman doesn't age because she's immortal, but with the exception of Mystique and Wolverine, the other X-Men would be middle aged or senior citizens by now.

Quote:
Okay. I see I stepped on a land mine with that one.

Well, I think that if Lorna is Magneto's daughter on The Gifted that it's unlikely he's a Holocaust survivor because then he'd be really, really old. I don't know what Fox is gonna do with their X-Men continuity to be honest, so I'm taking it one movie and TV show at a time. But I will say that regardless of timeline inconsistencies, First Class was by far superior to anything Bryan Singer did with the original trilogy. That pervert Brett Ranter likes to think otherwise by pointing out that X-3 did better box office than First Class. But X-3 was horrible and First Class had to fight to win back the audiences after how bad X-3 and Origins were.
And First Class was the most critically acclaimed X-Men film up to that point prior to Days of Future Past, Deadpool, and Logan.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

that tomorrow