Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I don't think they have a choice anymore with Hugh out of the picture. Now they've had to make X-Men films that stand on their own as team films. I would hope they'd let X-Force do the same.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not betting on them doing that. I think they're very aware that Deadpool is their big draw.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Let's wait and see. I don't want them making every X-Men movie a fourth-wall breaking thing, you know?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think X-Foce counts as an X-Men movie to them, more a Deadpool spinoff.

Last edited by sum1; 10-12-2018 at 12:48 PM
Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, but that's not a good way to diversify your brand, linking everything to one character. But it may not matter anyway, depending on when Marvel takes X-Men back, along with Deadpool and X-Force.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Disney kind of impied they'll keep the present Deadpool franchise going when they take over, and that will undoubtedly include X-Force.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I heard that as well, but I'd rather X-Force have their own identity and not be defined by Deadpool.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's unlikely. It was started as part of his franchise. And thety're clearly not doing the classic X-Force that I want.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I wish they would do the classic X-Force that you wanted instead of Team Deadpool.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

How 'Bad Times at the El Royale' Director Convinced Stars to Work for Less | Hollywood Reporter
Quote:
You are attached to write and direct X-Force for Fox. It's unclear if (or when) that is happening. What do you find interesting about that property?

For me, it all starts with the source material. X-Men and Daredevil were the two. That's who was hanging on my walls as a teenager. I came of age in the late '80s, '90s. So I was there when X-Force hit. This was the early '90s, when everything had multiple covers.

And you had to collect them all. They were going to be worth so much money!

Correct. I spent all my money. I still have them in a box in my garage. The thing that was exciting about X-Force, in particular, was the fringe element of what X-Force was to the X-Men. I still feel like there is real opportunity to explore that. What Deadpool is to the superhero movie, X-Force can be to the team superhero movie. Similarly, I just want to work with Ryan. I just want to work with Josh. I just want to work with Zazie. I just want to work with them. They are very exciting, wonderful artists and that's the other side of this that makes it fun.

It seems like Ryan Reynolds' version of Deadpool could be the character who could survive the X-Men's transition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He could be in his own universe or just make fun of the merger and suddenly be in the MCU.

What's great about Deadpool is you really have license to do anything, and you have this freedom to switch tones, which I really love. The thing I loved about that first Deadpool is it was incredibly heartfelt at times. That's the secret weapon of that first movie. The big, bombastic fun is very much there and it's what you sort of remember, but I don't think that movie works without the love story that's at its heart. The genuine pain that Ryan is in, in that movie really resonates. I love that you get to do both.

And the second one had a lot of sweetness too.

It did. It's deceptive because it's sort of punch-drunk sweetness. But there is a real sweetness at its core.
How Director Drew Goddard Brought Out Chris Hemsworth’s Dark Side in ‘Bad Times at the El Royale’ - Variety
Quote:
Along the same lines, assuming that you’re still working on X-Force, what’s the spark that drives your ideas there?

Look, it’s a two-part thing. I just love Ryan Reynolds and I love what he did with “Deadpool,” it was incredibly exhilarating. And then I also loved those comics when I was a kid. I came of age with comics in the ’90s when “X-Force”… people don’t quite… it’s hard to understand now, how big a phenomenon the X-Men relaunch was. [When] Jim Lee took over, and they launched “X-Men #1,” that was insane. And then X-Force, and all around that same time when Todd MacFarlane was on Spider-Man, it was just this Marvel renaissance, and I was right in the thick of it.

So it has a lot of emotional memory, but at the same time it’s much more about, I just had an idea for a movie. Ryan and I got together and we just started talking and came up with a lot of fun stuff. But I also was clear with everyone that I had to go make “Bad Times” first. I’ve been working pretty hard on this movie, for the past two years I’ve been working around the clock on this thing. So I look forward to calling Ryan back up and saying, “Alright, ‘Bad Times’ is done, where were we at?”

Realistically, will this be “Deadpool 3,” or is it “X-Force,” and its own kind of thing?

I think if I was going to do it, it would be “X-Force.” That that would be my approach. To me, the team is important. That’s what I would want to do. The ideas I had were all team-based.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, this guy's the same one making X-Force? Thanks, LightYears!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, it's definitely Drew Goddard. On a related note, I really do want to see Bad Times at the El Royale, but I might wait for it to come out on Blu-ray.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I may do the same, LightYears. I'd like to see it as well, but I rarely have time for movies anymore. I hope whenever I get out of this job that changes.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Love the comments about the '90s comics in Drew Goddard's interview. I remember that period. 1991 X-Men #1 is still the bestselling comic of all time.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I remember when that comic came out. It broke the record set by Spider-Man #1, which came out a year or so earlier.