Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, it's Hugh's prerogative to be confused, then. Given the bad blood between Greeks and Turks I just found that a bit ironic.

You and your fiancé both met them? Awesome! She sounds really nice.

I've had people telling me that they think I'm Russian, German, or Scottish. I'm actually Ukrainian, Swedish, Scottish, and Norwegian.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, exactly. I think in reality, Hugh is confused about his ethnic identity. Yes, it's ironic. I will say, he does look like he has some Middle Eastern or Mediterranean blood in him so it's not surprising that he'd be part Greek or Turkish instead of all English and Scottish. He also can tan pretty dark (before skin cancer), has a long nose, and small eyes (and is hairy ).

It's especially noticeable in this photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I've had people telling me that they think I'm Russian, German, or Scottish. I'm actually Ukrainian, Swedish, Scottish, and Norwegian.
I work with a lot of Russians. The Russian, German, and Scottish people I know don't really look that similar. Wow, that's a really cool European combo!

I would post a photo of myself, but not sure where I would do that, and I'd prefer to take it down after you guys see it.
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Search4Truth~ (View Post)
Yes, exactly. I think in reality, Hugh is confused about his ethnic identity. Yes, it's ironic. I will say, he does look like he has some Middle Eastern or Mediterranean blood in him so it's not surprising that he'd be part Greek or Turkish instead of all English and Scottish. He also can tan pretty dark (before skin cancer), has a long nose, and small eyes (and is hairy ).

I work with a lot of Russians. The Russian, German, and Scottish people I know don't really look that similar. Wow, that's a really cool European combo!

I would post a photo of myself, but not sure where I would do that, and I'd prefer to take it down after you guys see it.
Thanks for that pic, Theresa! And I remember many people actually saying back in 2000 when X-Men came out that he resembled Clint Eastwood.

Thanks. Ukrainians and Russians aren't that similar.

It's okay, Theresa. You don't have to post your photo if you don't want to.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Elite Fan

I actually don't mind posting a photo. I just wouldn't keep it up for more than a day. I tend to look different races in different photos, so I'd probably have to post at least 3.

Hugh does resemble Clint Eastwood sometimes, but with much darker hair, darker eyes, and slightly different features.

Yeah, the Ukrainian and Russian people at my workplace do not look the same at all.

Where did sum go?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I actually don't mind posting a photo. I just wouldn't keep it up for more than a day. I tend to look different races in different photos, so I'd probably have to post at least 3.

Hugh does resemble Clint Eastwood sometimes, but with much darker hair, darker eyes, and slightly different features.

Yeah, the Ukrainian and Russian people at my workplace do not look the same at all.

Where did sum go?

Oh, then okay. If you want to that's great.

I think sum1 mentioned that Hugh brought this up with Clint one time, but Clint wasn't interested.

Oh, you work with Ukrainians? That's cool. And sum1 always comes and goes. He's in Ireland, so his time zone is different.

I have to go to bed myself, so I'll talk to you later, Theresa!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, Russians own the company, but they hired some Ukrainians and Romanians (and Nigerian, Kenyan, Arab, Indian, Korean, and Latino employees).

Yup! Sum did bring up the Clint Eastwood resemblance.

Okay, so here is my pic. Hopefully you and sum won't be too judgy. Later!

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 04-12-2018 at 09:03 PM
Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Okay, so here is my pic. Hopefully you and sum won't be too judgy. Later!
You've nothing to worry about. They're good pics.

On Hugh's ancestry, he's Greek ethnically, not Turkish. His ancestor's last name is Bellas, which is Greek, not Turkish. He must be calling the ancestry Turkish because the ancestor was born in Istanbul, which is now in Turkey. Istanbul was originally Constantinople, the capital of the Greek Byzantine Empire, but it was conquered by the Turks in the 15th century. There were a lot of ethnic Greeks living in Turkey at the time of the Ottoman Empire (which was when Hugh's Greek ancestor was born) and they mostly moved to Greece in the 20th century. Hugh's a bit confused or maybe he's just trying to bond with the Turks, but his views on his ancestry would be controversial in that region.

Last edited by sum1; 04-13-2018 at 04:25 AM
Old 04-13-2018, 07:07 AM
Elite Fan

That's good to know, sum. So based on those two pics, what ethnicity would you have thought I was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
On Hugh's ancestry, he's Greek ethnically, not Turkish. His ancestor's last name is Bellas, which is Greek, not Turkish. He must be calling the ancestry Turkish because the ancestor was born in Istanbul, which is now in Turkey. Istanbul was originally Constantinople, the capital of the Greek Byzantine Empire, but it was conquered by the Turks in the 15th century. There were a lot of ethnic Greeks living in Turkey at the time of the Ottoman Empire (which was when Hugh's Greek ancestor was born) and they mostly moved to Greece in the 20th century. Hugh's a bit confused or maybe he's just trying to bond with the Turks, but his views on his ancestry would be controversial in that region.
Great post and explanation.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Mixed Hispanic, noting that mixed Hispanic often includes not only Spanish and Native, but also often black and sometimes Middle Eastern as well. I can see the Chinese now that you've pointed it out, but I wouldn't have guessed at it on a casual glance. I have familiarity with how Asian looks when it's well mixed in with other things, but it's often hard to see clearly then without it first being pointed out. There's also definitely what I would call a "Semitic" feel to how you look, particularly in the eyes.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Aww, thanks for the pics, Theresa! I agree with sum1, you have nothing to worry about. You look great! You take better pics than I do. I also agree, you do resemble those backgrounds he mentioned.

Yeah, I concur with sum1. Hugh may be trying to be diplomatic, but from what I've read the Ottoman Empire was occupying Greece during World War I and was allied with Imperial Germany and the Austria-Hungarian Empire. Also, my co-mod on The Borgias board is from Bulgaria and she told me that many Eastern Europeans don't feel particularly good about the Turks due to all the history and bad blood because of wars and Turkish occupation.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Beautiful pictures.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

http://comicbookdb.com/graphics/comi...5141_large.jpg

Wolverine cover by Mark Texeira
Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the cover, sum1! That's ferocious.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Texeira's art is strong stuff.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Is that early 90's?