Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the info. Franco does generally come off conceited and creepy. Of course he plays that a lot onscreen, but maybe a little too well. Remember Kevin Spacey playing all those creepy characters onscreen for years and he turns out to be a child molester? American Beauty looks very different now. And he won a ing Oscar for that. Which should have gone to Brad Pitt for Fight Club.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for all that, Theresa! Yeah, I do think that the #MeToo movement needs to slow their roll and not become a version of sexual McCarthyism. Let's save the condemnation for the actual sexual abusers and harassers and let due process take over instead of the court of public opinion. But I do agree that Franco has been a bit of a sleaze over the years, which is nothing illegal, but it is unsightly. And to think that guys like Kevin Spacey had Hollywood kissing their asses for years, but Hugh continues to get snubbed. He was also one of the best Oscar hosts since Billy Crystal, but have they invited him back?

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 01-11-2018 at 01:09 PM
Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks for all that, LightYears!
I posted that stuff. Not Lightyears. Did you read it?
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Elite Fan

The #MeToo movement was so contrived at the Golden Globes. Don't even get me started on that. I'm a woman, and I'll admit I think it is a bit ridiculous that we live in a world now where my male co-worker felt the need to apologize to me for complimenting my hair. Society has become way too politically correct, and Hollywood is full of a bunch of hypocrites anyway. People's speeches were so forced and men were obviously uncomfortable at the Golden Globes. As for Franco, eh ... his personality is so meh to me ... but hopefully he'll stop being sleazy and creepy now that he's been called out.

Quote:
Thanks for all that, LightYears!

Quote:
but Hugh continues to get snubbed. He was also one of the best Oscar hosts since Billy Crystal, but have they invited him back?
THIS! Hugh was a great Oscars host!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Thanks for the info. Franco does generally come off conceited and creepy. Of course he plays that a lot onscreen, but maybe a little too well. Remember Kevin Spacey playing all those creepy characters onscreen for years and he turns out to be a child molester? American Beauty looks very different now. And he won a ing Oscar for that. Which should have gone to Brad Pitt for Fight Club.
I never had the desire to see American Beauty. I do agree that Brad Pitt should have won for Fight Club. That's my favorite movie of his.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 01-11-2018 at 01:12 PM
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Search4Truth~ (View Post)

The #MeToo movement was so contrived at the Golden Globes. Don't even get me started on that. I'm a woman, and I'll admit I think it is a bit ridiculous that we live in a world now where my male co-worker felt the need to apologize to me for complimenting my hair. Society has become way too politically correct, and Hollywood is full of a bunch of hypocrites anyway.
Crap! Yes, I did, Theresa. I just typed the wrong username because it's usually LightYears who posts all that kind of stuff. She's our resident X-Men news reporter, so I just made a typo out of habit. I've also posted Sarah's name when I meant to reply to someone else. I'm sorry. But thanks for posting those.

Thanks for agreeing with me. The #MeToo movement is in danger of going the way of #BlackLivesMatter, where people stop paying attention due to overreach. I agree that PC has gotten totally ridiculous and out of hand, which started a long time ago back in the 90's. And I'd also compliment you on your hair, by the way.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I never had the desire to see American Beauty. I do agree that Brad Pitt should have won for Fight Club. That's my favorite movie of his.

And Pitt didn't even get nominated for it. The awards just ignored Fight Club. Actually, the movie was highly controversial when it came out and critics slammed it. The lead critic in the Irish Times still hates it.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I didn't like Fight Club when I first saw it. Not because of the story, it just didn't hit with me at first. It took repeat viewings for me to appreciate it, although I'm still not a Brad Pitt fan. And I really didn't take to Hugh until I saw him in The Prestige. I wasn't much of a fan of the original X-Men films. I loved Hugh in Days of Future Past and Logan, though.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Elite Fan

It’s interesting critics slammed Fight Club, sum1. That movie is considered such a classic now. I love when audiences disagree that strongly with critics. This has happened to The Greatest Showman now. Now critics are having to admit it is a “sleeper hit” and that audiences might even go on to regard it as a classic over La La Land.

This is so awesome, by the way! Hugh and James Marsden met up this past week.

Quote:
And I really didn't take to Hugh until I saw him in The Prestige. I wasn't much of a fan of the original X-Men films. I loved Hugh in Days of Future Past and Logan, though.
Hugh entered Hollywood in 2000 and The Prestige came out in 2006, so you’ve pretty much liked Hugh for most of his Hollywood career then, lol. Not sure when you saw The Prestige, but this means you liked Hugh’s early work (I consider The Prestige some of his early work).
Old 01-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hugh gained my interest when he featured in original X-Men. There was something about him.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
It’s interesting critics slammed Fight Club, sum1. That movie is considered such a classic now. I love when audiences disagree that strongly with critics. This has happened to The Greatest Showman now. Now critics are having to admit it is a “sleeper hit” and that audiences might even go on to regard it as a classic over La La Land.
That's good to hear.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the pic! Although Hugh's half got cut out.

It looks like The Greatest Showman is still scoring with audiences. I hope critics appreciate it later on.

Hugh Jackman's 'Greatest Showman' Proves Musicals Are A Safe Box Office Bet

The Greatest Showman: What a Sleeper Box Office Run Means

'Greatest Showman' film stirs new interest in PT Barnum
Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hugh's half didn't get cut out. I don't know what you're talking about. Get your eyes checked.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Hugh's half didn't get cut out. I don't know what you're talking about. Get your eyes checked.
It's not my eyes, sum1. It's the embedding. I saw Hugh when I clicked the pic.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well I didn't have to click the pic to see Hugh. Maybe your computer is fed.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Elite Fan

Here is a nice pic from behind the scenes of The Greatest Showman that was posted by Sam Humphrey, the gentleman who played Tom Thumb. He looks back very fondly of his experience and sees Hugh Jackman as a wonderful person and mentor to everyone.

It is incredible how well this movie is doing. I am not exaggerating when I say analysts are now saying the numbers suggest that it has had some of the greatest word of mouth and positive audience response out of any film in box office history in spite of how much critics and the press trashed it.

Here are even more new articles about how well it is doing (these are in addition to the ones PhoenixRising posted):

Hugh Jackman's and Michelle Williams' 'Greatest Showman makes more box office history

'Greatest Showman becomes a sleeper hit as disrespected films flourish

'Greatest Showman sings past Oscar favorites everywhere but here

And a tweet from the founder and editor of the website "Box Office Guru":

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 01-21-2018 at 02:22 PM