Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Supergirl and Batgirl became iconic. Marvel Girl didn't. And Phoenix ended up going sideways. Just the name itself is tainted, which is a shame. It's a good code name. Are the X-Men going to have emotional issues every time they go to Phoenix, Arizona?

Anyway, I have no idea if Emma is even still in the running.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Iconic doesn't excuse sexism. DC needs to modernize.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

They're not gonna change Supergirl and Batgirl's names. Those are already set in stone. They even have a Supergirl TV show. It's not about sexism, it's about name recognition. It's just far too late to change those names.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

I still think it's an issue.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I still think it's an issue.
It all depends on the person, I guess. But like I said, those names are far too ingrained in the fanbase and pop culture to change them. Kind of like the USS Enterprise or something.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

The USS Enterprise is not a name that infantilizes women. And you'll notice Star Trek change "no man" to "no one" in the whole "boldly go" thing.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's not the same as changing an entire character's name, sum1. And there's a UFC fighter named Stephen Thompson who goes by the nickname "Wonderboy," so I don't think anyone really cares anymore at this point.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Why does he go by the name Wonderboy? Sounds pretty lame.

Characters' names are changed all the time in comics.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

That was his name as a kickboxer.

Not all the time. Only the minor characters. Calling Susan Storm "Invisible Girl" didn't make sense after she had become a wife and mother. But Barbara Gordon has been eternally 25 years old.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Why not Wonderboxer? Who calls themselves "Wonderboy"?

Not only minor characters. And Susan Storm is a good example. She's no minor character. Nor is Jean Grey. Nor Carol Danvers.

What's a 25 year old being called "girl" for?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know, sum1. Why does anyone in the UFC have their nicknames?

Well, again, calling Susan "Invisible Girl" after she had become a wife and mother didn't seem appropriate. Marvel Girl was always a sucky name, regardless, which is why they came up with Phoenix, and now poor Jean has no codename at all. And Carol only became Captain Marvel because Marvel finally decided to let her inherit the mantle from Mar-Vell, as opposed to having Quasar or Mar-Vell's son step into that role. They still passed the title of Ms. Marvel to Kamala Khan.

Also, Batgirl has two syllables, like Batman, so it rolls off the tongue better than Batwoman. Wonder Woman is two words with two syllables each, so it evens out. Some things just sound better. And like I said, it's already iconic and ingrained in the social consciousness because Batgirl had the advantage of being in a TV show.

Anyway, we still don't know who's gonna play the role. Emma might not get it. She and Evan are still busy with AHS.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

The point is they kept changing the names of important characters. It can be done and is.

I don't get this "Batgirl is iconic" thing. I wasn't aware of Batgirl until the 1997 film. Whereas I was aware of Jean Grey as Marvel Girl since 1984.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, they can change the names of certain characters, but only those whom they feel fans won't mind the name change. And again, DC already has a Batwoman, so they're not going to change Barbara's alter ego.

You've never heard of Batgirl prior to the 1997 film? That wasn't even the right Batgirl. Alicia Silverstone played some girl named Barbara Wilson, who was Alfred's niece, not Barbara Gordon. Yvonne Craig was the first actress to play Barbara Gordon/Batgirl on the 1960's Batman TV show with Adam West. That's what made her iconic.

Looks like Evan's got a new TV gig. Surprise, surprise, it's another Ryan Murphy show.

Evan Peters, Tatiana Maslany Among Four Added to Cast of Ryan Murphy’s ‘Pose’ – Variety

And he and Emma Roberts are still together despite rumors that they had yet again separated.

Emma Roberts and Evan Peters Are ‘Still Very Much Together’
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

I think you have some pretty funny idea about what makes something iconic.

Last edited by sum1; 10-31-2017 at 07:16 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hey, I don't decide these things, sum1. Pop culture and posterity does. Lynda Carter iconicized Wonder Woman in the 70's. She'd been all but forgotten by the 60's, with DC going as far as de-powering her.