Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Grrrr.
Sorry, sum1.

You've been to pub lock-ins, wickedrum? Sorry, I don't know your name. Are the Scottish ones anything like the Irish ones?

And if you just can't get enough Evan Peters and Emma Roberts in American Horror Story, they're back again!

American Horror Story: Emma Roberts to appear on Cult
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

My friends sometimes drag me into pubs, god knows why

The name's Rita btw. It don't think there's much difference between Scottish and Irish pubs.

Finally there's a reason to get back into AHS!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Rita! Not exactly what I expected in a Scottish name.

Yeah, I guess Scots and Irish both have that Celtic vibe going on in their pubs, although perhaps there's a lot more tartan in a Scottish pub, I guess? And Scotch whisky can't be beat. And your friend drags you into pubs? Can't you just tell them you're not interested if they're that bothersome?

Yeah, Emma and Evan back together again on AHS is gonna be good. And Taissa is back too! I think the Tate/Violet shippers will be upset if he's paired with Emma, though. And I'm still gonna miss Emma as Chanel Oberlin. She was my favorite TV bitch. Her and her pumpkin spice lattes.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

More cheer in an Irish pub, you mean.

I dislike all forms of whiskey, but I know plenty who argue it's Irish whiskey that can't beat, not scotch. And Ireland invented whiskey, anyway. The word comes from the Irish for water -"uisce". In Irish, whiskey is called "uisce baithe", meaning water of life. pronounced "ishke batha", btw.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Hi, Rita! Not exactly what I expected in a Scottish name.

Yeah, I guess Scots and Irish both have that Celtic vibe going on in their pubs, although perhaps there's a lot more tartan in a Scottish pub, I guess? And Scotch whisky can't be beat. And your friend drags you into pubs? Can't you just tell them you're not interested if they're that bothersome?

Yeah, Emma and Evan back together again on AHS is gonna be good. And Taissa is back too! I think the Tate/Violet shippers will be upset if he's paired with Emma, though. And I'm still gonna miss Emma as Chanel Oberlin. She was my favorite TV bitch. Her and her pumpkin spice lattes.
I have to say, I don't remember seeing much tartan in Scottish pubs All dark and dreary. I can survive it once in a while though.

I think it will be sweet Evan paired with Emma since they are together in RL. Chanel was fun! Pumpkin pie lattes must be fabulous.

Sum, I love whiskey, and Irish is the best!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I have to say, I don't remember seeing much tartan in Scottish pubs All dark and dreary. I can survive it once in a while though.

I think it will be sweet Evan paired with Emma since they are together in RL. Chanel was fun! Pumpkin pie lattes must be fabulous.

Sum, I love whiskey, and Irish is the best!
Yeah, I figured the pubs were dark from what I've seen in movies. But you want that in a pub because it fits the atmosphere. A dark, dimly lit pub is nice and cozy, which is what you want when you're getting inebriated.

Pumpkin spice lattes, not pumpkin pie. And yes, they are delicious. And I guess I'll have to try some Irish whiskey then. I've tried Scotch before.

So you think it'll be Evan and Emma again? That won't make the Tate/Violet shippers happy, but I guess they already got Evan/Taissa in Coven. Evan got an Emma/Taissa threesome in that series.

Quote:
More cheer in an Irish pub, you mean.

I dislike all forms of whiskey, but I know plenty who argue it's Irish whiskey that can't beat, not scotch. And Ireland invented whiskey, anyway. The word comes from the Irish for water -"uisce". In Irish, whiskey is called "uisce baithe", meaning water of life. pronounced "ishke batha", btw.

I expect you'll hear more singing in an Irish pub, sum1. And thanks for the info on whiskey. And of course, your Gaelic knowledge is impeccable.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I expect you'll hear more singing in an Irish pub, sum1. And thanks for the info on whiskey. And of course, your Gaelic knowledge is impeccable.
It's "Irish", not "Gaelic". Gaelic is the Scottish Highland version.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Tate/Violet was epic. I don't think they should try reinvent it because it will never work. But I would be happy with a second season of Murder House
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

What about Murder Mouse, about the exploits of Disney ruining franchises?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Rita! I agree, I loved Tate/Violet. But AHS did try to repeat it with Kyle/Zoe in Coven, remember? Evan and Taissa reunited, but they also had Evan with Emma as Madison, the bitch witch. She was basically prepping for Chanel Oberlin in this one.

Murder Mouse, sum1? Good one. I agree, the Mouse is a serial killer of movies.

Quote:
It's "Irish", not "Gaelic". Gaelic is the Scottish Highland version.
Really? I thought the term Gaelic was a blanket term for the language of the Celtic people in Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Here's what it says in Wikipedia:

Quote:
Gaelic is an adjective that means "pertaining to the Gaels". As a noun, it may refer to the group of languages spoken by the Gaels, or to any one of the languages individually.

Languages

Goidelic languages or Gaelic languages, a linguistic group that is one of the two branches of the Insular Celtic languages; they include:

Irish language (Gaeilge), sometimes called Erse in Scots and English Gaelic type, a typeface used in Ireland
Manx language (Gaelg or Gailck)
Old Gaelic or Old Irish, used c. AD 600–900
Primitive Irish or Archaic Irish, the oldest known form of the Goidelic (Gaёlic) languages.
Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig), sometimes called Erse in Scots and English
Old 08-11-2017, 04:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:

Really? I thought the term Gaelic was a blanket term for the language of the Celtic people in Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Here's what it says in Wikipedia:

Quote:
Gaelic is an adjective that means "pertaining to the Gaels". As a noun, it may refer to the group of languages spoken by the Gaels, or to any one of the languages individually.

Languages

Goidelic languages or Gaelic languages, a linguistic group that is one of the two branches of the Insular Celtic languages; they include:

Irish language (Gaeilge), sometimes called Erse in Scots and English Gaelic type, a typeface used in Ireland
Manx language (Gaelg or Gailck)
Old Gaelic or Old Irish, used c. AD 600–900
Primitive Irish or Archaic Irish, the oldest known form of the Goidelic (Gaёlic) languages.
Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig), sometimes called Erse in Scots and English
Yes, it refers to the GROUP of languages, but not to the individual Irish language. Nobody in Ireland calls Irish "Gaelic". It's only ignorant foreigners who do that.

And Welsh isn't included in the Gaelic languages. The group you're looking for there is Celtic. Welsh is a Brittonic Celtic language and Irish is a Gaelic Celtic language. And whatever you do, don't pronounce "Celtic" as "Seltic". The proper pronunciation is "Keltic".

Wikipedia is confused, which isn't surprising, because it can be edited by anyone. Just like anyone can become President.

But really, calling Irish "Gaelic" is in the same category as assuming Ireland is full of leprechauns or that Irish people all believe in leprechauns or that we're always drunk. Foreigners associate leprechauns with Ireland. Irish people associate leprechauns with tourists. My father got stopped in the street in Dublin city centre once and asked by a young German woman (doing a survey) whether he believed in leprechauns or not. What do they think, that we're in the Stone Age here? A while back it was in the news that an Irish woman got refused a job in South Korea because (as they told her) of "the alcoholism nature of your people". I take alcohol very moderately. I've never been genuinely drunk in my life. I don't frequent the pubs and I don't give a about pub lock-ins.

I accept I was... misled when I thought America's Selective Service System could be called an actual draft before and I remember you didn't appreciate me presenting you with a Wikipedia article to support my view. You rather stood by your right to get pissed off over me telling you about your own country and I can see your point. I take it you can see the parallels here. So I stand by my right to get snarky over this.

Last edited by sum1; 08-11-2017 at 07:50 AM
Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I don't know much about Coven I must admit, I kind of tuned out of AHS by then.

Wasn't aware of the scientific definition of Gaelic, but personally I always believed it refers to the cacophony of consonants people speak up North in the Highlands
Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)

Wasn't aware of the scientific definition of Gaelic, but personally I always believed it refers to the cacophony of consonants people speak up North in the Highlands
What about the cacophony people speak in the rest of Scotland when they're speaking English with something called a "Scottish accent"?

Last edited by sum1; 08-11-2017 at 07:47 AM
Old 08-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch with claws (View Post)
TFTNT
Also could someone please change my name in the OP? #10
I changed your name in the OP!

I loved Coven, Rita. I recommend it, as it's my favorite season of AHS after Murder House. It was a big improvement after Asylum, which I thought got ridiculous after a while. And Evan keeps getting into threesomes on that show. And yeah, I assumed that Gaelic referred to all Celtic languages.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, sum1. So the Irish language is still considered a "Gaelic" language as part of the whole, but no one in Ireland calls it "Gaelic," they just call it Irish? Got it. And Welsh is Celtic but not Gaelic. And believe me, I NEVER pronounce Celtic as "Sel-tic." :facepalm; I don't think anyone here in the USA pronounces it like that unless we're referring to the Boston Celtics basketball team, and that's only because it just became a habit. I know that it's a mispronunciation, but it's too late to change that. As someone who loves Halloween, I do think it's interesting that "Samhain" is pronounced "Sow-en" in Celtic/Gaelic. Thanks to the Irish/Scots/Celts for that awesome holiday, by the way, sum1.

If your father got asked that by a German woman, he should've just asked her if all Germans eat bratwurst and drink beer on Oktoberfest. But if it's any consolation, everyone from every ethnic background gets those type of questions, be they Irish, Scottish, German, Swedish, Italian, French, etc. Do the French really not shave? Do the Swedish woman walk around in bikinis all the time? Do Italians all like cooking pasta? Do the Germans each chocolate and wear lederhosen? Do the Scots wear tartan and eat haggis? Etc., etc... I have Scottish and Swedish/Norwegian on my father's side, and my mother is Ukrainian, and I got a lot of comments when I was a kid about whether or not I was Russian.

Oh, and don't worry, sum1. There's no hard feelings about the selective service stuff. If you had said that all Americans are a bunch of hillbillies who drink moonshine, drive around in muscle cars with the Confederate flag on the roof, and hunt for UFO's and Bigfoot, I'd have taken that in stride.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 08-11-2017 at 03:58 PM
Old 08-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
And believe me, I NEVER pronounce Celtic as "Sel-tic." :facepalm; I don't think anyone here in the USA pronounces it like that unless we're referring to the Boston Celtics basketball team, and that's only because it just became a habit. I know that it's a mispronunciation, but it's too late to change that.
I've come across quite a few Americans who've been confused on the topic.

Quote:
I have Scottish and Swedish/Norwegian on my father's side, and my mother is Ukrainian, and I got a lot of comments when I was a kid about whether or not I was Russian.
Then you probably have an opinion on what Putin's been doing to the Ukraine.

Quote:
Oh, and don't worry, sum1. There's no hard feelings about the selective service stuff. If you had said that all Americans are a bunch of hillbillies who drink moonshine, drive around in muscle cars with the Confederate flag on the roof, and hunt for UFO's and Bigfoot, I'd have taken that in stride.
That's just the Trump voters.