Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not surprised, sum1. Marvel Studios has never really known how to do Thor properly. I'm a huge fan of Cate Blanchett, though. It's a shame, because I was hoping she'd do well at least. And Jeff Goldblum as The Grandmaster? I don't think so. And I agree, casting Tessa Thompson as a Viking goddess from Norse mythology of ancient Scandinavia is ridiculous. Remember how many people pitched a fit when Gods of Egypt cast Gerard Butler and a bunch of European actors as Egyptian gods?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/thor-ra...005720180.html

Judging by these photos, Thor Ragnarok is going to be total crap. The Thor films started as the best of the Marvel Avengers group of films, but this looks awful. Everything looks fake. Makeup, costumes, Thor's armour and shield, etc. Take a look at Jeff Goldblum and Cate Blanchett. Convincing-looking they're not. Nor is Hemsworth, minus the long hair, blond dye and hammer. And the film's Valkyrie doesn't much resemble the comic book version either.

Further down the page is an Iron Fist trailer and review. It looks like total crap. I've had a bad feeling before about these Marvel Netflix shows. The Cage one looks convincing enough, but in Daredevil they cast a bland, posh, soft-looking Englishman as Daredevil, a hard-as-nails working class Irish American vigilante and master warrior. I've never seen anything of the Jessica Jones show, but seeing as the character didn't appear until after Marvel comics declined past the point of my being interested in them, I don't care much either way.

Edited in: Huh, the Iron Fist thing is no longer on the page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I'm not surprised, sum1. Marvel Studios has never really known how to do Thor properly. I'm a huge fan of Cate Blanchett, though. It's a shame, because I was hoping she'd do well at least. And Jeff Goldblum as The Grandmaster? I don't think so. And I agree, casting Tessa Thompson as a Viking goddess from Norse mythology of ancient Scandinavia is ridiculous. Remember how many people pitched a fit when Gods of Egypt cast Gerard Butler and a bunch of European actors as Egyptian gods?
The first Thor film was one of the best Marvel movies. It was good. I'm not a fan of Cate Blanchett, to put it mildly. I do like Jeff Goldblum, though, but not looking like that.

Last edited by sum1; 03-10-2017 at 04:47 PM
Old 03-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Angel Bo$$

Quote:
Oh, I see. I don't watch GOT either.
Been told I should watch it though
and I think we need a lot of that right now" [Chris Pine]
Old 03-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You should.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Angel Bo$$

Not yet on my list have a long list of shows
Old 03-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

But it's the best show ever!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Damn, I fell so far behind on GOT I don't know how long it would take to catch up. I wish I had started from the beginning. If I had know there'd be incest I'd have checked it out.

Well, I had issues with the first Thor movie as well, sum1. I felt it was a mistake to eliminate the Dr. Donald Blake persona that Odin created for him from Thor's story because it humanizes him and gives him depth, and gives him a reason to want to be Earth's protector beyond just his feelings for Jane Foster.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Angel Bo$$

Oh Donald Blake is something from the comics?

I personally both the Thor movies
Old 03-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

You didn't know this, Sarah?

Originally, Dr. Donald Blake was similar to other Marvel protagonists. He was an ordinary man, a surgeon, who had to walk with a cane due to an accident. While vacationing in Norway, he happened upon a cave that had once been used by the Vikings in ancient Norse times. There he found Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor, with the inscription, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." Dr. Blake picked up the hammer and was instantly transformed into Thor, the God of Thunder. He also had the ability to transform back and forth from Thor to Donald Blake, and when he did, the hammer Mjolnir took on the appearance of his walking stick. However, later on it was revealed that Dr. Donald Blake did not exist, and his entire persona was the creation of Odin, and that Blake had actually been Thor his entire life and never knew it. When Odin banished Thor from Asgard, he decided to take away his power, immortality, and his memories, and had him be reborn on Earth(Midgard) as a mortal man, living a mortal man's life, in order to teach Thor about humility, compassion, wisdom, temperance, and humanity, so that he would one day be worthy of wielding Mjolnir again. When Thor finally regained his memories and realized who he actually was, he retained the memory of his entire life as Dr. Donald Blake, from childhood to adulthood, including being a surgeon, but the Blake persona was gone.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Angel Bo$$

OK that sounds extremely intriguing and would be cool to see
Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Damn, I fell so far behind on GOT I don't know how long it would take to catch up. I wish I had started from the beginning. If I had know there'd be incest I'd have checked it out.

Well, I had issues with the first Thor movie as well, sum1. I felt it was a mistake to eliminate the Dr. Donald Blake persona that Odin created for him from Thor's story because it humanizes him and gives him depth, and gives him a reason to want to be Earth's protector beyond just his feelings for Jane Foster.
Personally I never liked the whole Donald Blake thing. I've always hated Thor having "human forms". I don't need Thor humanized. It's his difference from ordinary humans that makes him an interesting character for me. Donald Blake bored the bejesus out of me and I always wanted him gone. Same goes for all of Thor's other human alter egos.

And I don't really think Blake gave Thor depth, particularly seeing as they were often portrayed as if they were totally separate characters. The depth that mattered in Thor came from the character of Thor the thunder god, not his human alter-egos. Nor did Thor need Donald Blake to make him want to be Earth's protector. Midgard (Earth) was an important part of the Asgardian cosmology and was important to them. Add in some extra experience with Earth for Thor and hey presto you've got an Asgardian who wants to protect Earth. Particularly with all his Earth friends and associates.

I consider Blake to be a manifestation of a rigid-minded early comic book writing mentality that insisted that characters have civilian alter egos. Amongst early characters, the Fantastic Four are a breath of fresh air because they don't bother with civilian alter-egos at all.

I feel very strongly about this. Thor is one of my favorite Marvel characters and the repeated fixation with giving him human alter-egos annoys the crap out of me. I'm interested in Thor the thunder god, not some random human dweeb like Blake or Masterson.

The human alter-egos of Thor are a big part of why I prefer Hercules to Thor. No human alter-egos there. But they got around to messing him up eventually too. In 1994 they took away his immortality and in the past decade they removed all his powers. Marvel can't get anything right anymore.

PS: See PMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
OK that sounds extremely intriguing and would be cool to see
Just wait until you see Thor turning into a human wimp every time he's separated from his hammer for a minute. You'd get tired of Donald Blake pretty quick too.

Last edited by sum1; 03-12-2017 at 07:28 AM
Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Angel Bo$$

A loT to read
Old 03-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

No problem, sum1.

I wouldn't mind the X-Men franchise taking another shot at doing Emma Frost. January Jones' version left a lot to be desired, and the Emma in X-Men Origins isn't even being acknowledged as Emma Frost.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Angel Bo$$

I liked January's version

Yes Origins didn't say anything about it assumed it was an ancestor of Emma cause Origins was like 80s
Old 03-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
I liked January's version

Yes Origins didn't say anything about it assumed it was an ancestor of Emma cause Origins was like 80s
Critics hated January's version. And she obviously wasn't asked back for the sequels.

Considering that Origins was made before First Class, I'm more inclined to assume that the filmmakers intended to have that be Emma Frost, but then quickly changed their minds after how horrible Origins turned out and retconned everything with First Class. After all, they also retconned Deadpool after Origins, didn't they? The current X-Men movie continuity doesn't even acknowledge that Origins ever happened. It's pretty much been erased.