Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Often.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

We're agreeing on so much lately it's scary, sum1.

I'm still a bit curious as to what's gonna happen with the Fantastic Four, a franchise that Hollywood can't seem to not screw up.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Passionate Fan

I just want one decent live-action Doctor Doom. It's crazy that the 1994 version still the best one.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Well, we can be sure the MCU is going to do something different with them.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

OMG, the 1994 version? The one that was so bad it wasn't even released on video? How did you even get to see that one?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
OMG, the 1994 version? The one that was so bad it wasn't even released on video? How did you even get to see that one?
I think I found it on YouTube. A bit campy but it had heart, and at least that version of Doom was actually a king.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

I've never seen that.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the info, Rylvan. I may have to check that out on YouTube, although I heard it was terrible. But I'm glad it did justice to Doom, at least.

Thanks for that article, dragonfire! But I still feel like Sony is making a mistake keeping Black Cat and Silver Sable out of Peter Parker's storyline. The only reason comic fans even cared about them was because they were both love interests of Spider-Man, Felicia being an actual love interest and Sable an implied one. But cutting them out of Peter's storyline with Peter still a teen in the MCU and Felicia and Sable as adults in their own movie just seems wrong. It's all out of context.

The only reason Catwoman got popular in her own series was because she was connected to Batman. I'm not saying that female superheroes can't exist on their own, but when their storyline is so intertwined with another characters' storyline it makes it difficult to properly develop them on their own without that character serving as their backstory.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

I don't think the Silver Sable is dependent on Spider Man at all. She had quite a considerable existence away from him, including her own comic title.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, but she was introduced in Amazing Spider-Man and her early adventures were mostly with him. Launching her into her own movie without any context or backstory is a bit off. And Black Cat is so tied into Spider-Man I don't know how they expect that to work. Again, I wish they'd focus on the adult Peter Parker and stop with all of this teenage nonsense. I've love to see his relationships with Felicia and Sable in the movies, but Feige thinks with the mentality of a Twilight fan.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Sable was pretty separate from Spider Man by the time I came across her. I don't think she neds to be tied in with him.

And yes, they should do an adult Spider Man.

And really I think Spider Man: Homecoming was more Sesame Street than Twilight.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, but the only reason she was able to be on her own like that was because she had been firmly established by her appearances in Spider-Man. I was rooting for them back in the early 80's when she first appeared in his storyline. I actually preferred both Sable and Felicia to Mary Jane Watson. They even had a What If? storyline in an alternate reality where Black Cat died and Peter and Sable later became a couple.

Sesame Street? Yeah, that is a better analogy.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

The point is Sable is no longer all about Spider Man and a lot of characters have early periods in their story that are overshadowed by what comes later and don't matter so much to the overall picture. I think Sable's Spider Man story doesn't count so much, because I'm familiar with her being portrayed totally separate from him rather than with him. It may matter to you a lot, but it's not who she is anymore.

I think you have more of a case wih the Black Cat, but that's because I'm only familiar with her as a Spider Man character. Apparently she got involved with Wolverine at one point.

As for Spider Man's relationships, I'm firmly in the Mary Jane Watson camp. I think the way the comics erased their marriage was an abomination and really bad storytelling to boot.

That Spider Man: Homecoming movie was for 5 year olds.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

I understand all of that, sum1, but Sable had to establish herself first, and that took years. Sure, for comic book fans Sable has become her own character and can exist outside of Peter's storyline, but for non-comic fans who know nothing about the characters they'll fail to understand why anyone's supposed to care about Black Cat or Silver Sable without their relationship to Peter Parker putting it into context. You can introduce Carol Danvers, for instance, without using Mar-Vell as part of her origin(although I would use him if I were a filmmaker) because his legacy ends in the early 80's. But Peter Parker is such an important character that other characters who were launched due to their connection to him really only exist because of that. Again, we comic fans know who Sable is so she's long since transcended that, but movie fans are gonna be like, "who is this Silver Sable and Black Cat and why should we care?" Their connection to Spider-Man is what made us comic fans care in the first place, which ultimately led them to being able to stand on their own as characters, is my point.

Black Cat was with Wolverine? Since when? I heard she had become involved with Puma, but I never heard of the Wolverine thing.

I know, you love MJ. But I was solidly in the Peter/Felicia camp back in the 80's, just so you know. I thought Peter and Mary Jane getting married so suddenly was kind of illogical considering they hadn't even officially become a couple. They were more like BFF's who hadn't actually dated since they were teenagers and then all of a sudden Peter's proposing to Mary Jane just a few years after he breaks up with Felicia? And it was after his break up with Felicia that the thing with him and Sable was hinted at being developed, but then Marvel suddenly did an about face and had Peter pop the question to MJ. I remember reading that and thinking, "when did they even get back together?"

I honestly cannot stand Homecoming. I hope whenever Marvel Studios decides to merge X-Men into MCU that making Peter and adult is part of their retcon.