Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Master Fan

I thought she was older. Well, then I have zero interest in seeing her in a romantic relationship with Deadpool, unless if they bring her in for other purposes.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have no issue with age differences in relationships as long as both people are consenting adults, whichever gender the older person is. The French president is married to a woman 25 years older than him. That's their business. The actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson is married to the filmmaker Samantha Taylor-Johnson. She's 23 years older than him. Again, that's fine. So I'm not going to complain if Deadpool in his 40s is shown onscreen romancing Siryn in her 20s. People of widely differing ages get together in real life all the time and it's a good thing, because it bridges the society-damaging gap between generations. Just as mixed-race relationships help bridge racial divides. There's a lot of ageism going around about couples with different ages and some of it is dressed up as feminism, but that doesn't make it any less ageist. "Ew older man!" "Ew, older woman!" Either way it's not progressive. We've got to be flexible about different types of relationships in society -straight, gay, monoracial, mixed race, same generation, mixed generation, etc.

I know there's a problem that older women often don't get to be with older men onscreen and the filmmakers use younger women, but the reverse pattern is true for younger males -they often don't get much of a chance until they've hit their 30s or even 40s. Just as Hollywood prefers younger women to older women, it also prefers older men to younger men. Both genders get pushed aside for differently aged members of their gender, just at different stages of their lives. However, Hollywood is gradually giving older women more screen time and respect and I suppose I'll have to tolerate seeing more of younger men on my screen too. Though why anybody would want to watch Tye Sheridan or Finn Jones beats me. I admit to some ageism with regard to younger men, I guess. We're all guilty of prejudice in some area.

Last edited by sum1; 01-10-2018 at 11:44 PM
Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
They'll probably cast somebody not Irish, maybe even make the character American like they did with Banshee. Which pissed me off bigtime.
I think the role was written specifically for Robert Sheehan, but scheduling conflicts with series two of Misfits forced him to back out. Still, it is annoying they Americanized him, not like there aren't other Irish actors.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, Rylvan. That's interesting. Sheehan's the guy who's involved with Sofia Boutella.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Who said that Syren would be in a relationship with Deadpool? And Saoirse's age shouldn't be an issue since no one at Fox can agree upon a consistent timeline because of this First Class continuity. As for her physical type... well, I haven't seen Saoirse in anything that could give me a real gauge on that. I thought she did a good job as a special-ops trained girl in Hanna. If she hit the gym then perhaps she could do the job just like Anne Hathaway did as Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises, so who knows? But I agree, they should cast an Irish actress regardless. Making Banshee American was stupid because it ignores the entire reason he's called "banshee." If he were American they'd just call him "sonic" or "shockwave." Look at Black Canary! She has the same power and she doesn't call herself a character from Irish mythology.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Siryn had a sort of thing going with Deadpool in the comics.

And mention of Saoirse's physical type wasn't about athleticism. She's got a long, narrow face and Siryn doesn't. Very distinctly different skeletal structure.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Total Fan

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Rylvan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Siryn had a sort of thing going with Deadpool in the comics.

And mention of Saoirse's physical type wasn't about athleticism. She's got a long, narrow face and Siryn doesn't. Very distinctly different skeletal structure.
Oh, she did? I didn't know that.

Ah, I see. Well, getting an actor who matches the facial features of a character is a pretty tough task. To this day I still don't think Hollywood has quite gotten it right with any character.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

They have with some.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I think Andrew Garfield was pretty close to matching Peter Parker.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

We agree on something else! Amazing.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

Speaking of Spider-Man. Alex, did you tell Sum about European Gwen Stacy?
Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I thought you told me about European Gwen Stacy, dragonfire. And I told you it was stupid, unless she's from Great Britain.