Elite Fan

Quote:
CBR
J.J. Abrams' Final Two Spider-Man Issues Face a Huge Delay | CBR
https://www.cbr.com/jj-abrams-final-...ssues-delayed/
Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Uh, there are quite a few heroes that Captain Marvel can't beat. Thor, Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, etc. She's no more powerful than Mar-Vell was, and he wasn't invincible. Her strength level isn't even in 100 ton class.
That's not correct. Present day Captain Marvel can increase her powers up to her Binary levels. She recently defeated Thor and Iron Man. The only Avenger she might have trouble with is She Hulk.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, dragonfire. But if it were up to me, Abrams wouldn't write another comic book in his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
That's not correct. Present day Captain Marvel can increase her powers up to her Binary levels. She recently defeated Thor and Iron Man. The only Avenger she might have trouble with is She Hulk.

They're doing that Binary again? That has nothing to do with Captain Marvel. That's an X-Men storyline involving the Shi'ar Imperial Guard, and Carol was mostly a mindless vegetable during that period. It defeats the purpose of her regaining her Kree powers and memories, or her taking over for Mar-Vell as Protector of the Universe. She doesn't need that Binary crap if she's got the Nega Bands, with their photonic energy and cosmic awareness. This just seems like agenda-driven storytelling and not logic-driven. Are they making her this powerful for any reason other than her gender? And I thought both Marvel and DC learned from past mistakes about making characters overpowered?

Regardless, Carol shouldn't be stronger than Thor. I remember The Korvac Saga and nearly ever member of the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy bit the dust during that battle against Korvac and Carina, including Carol, and only Thor was the last man standing, along with Moondragon, who refused to join in.

I hate it when comics and comic book movies get political. It clouds the storytelling.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Are comic book movies ever not political these days?
Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
CBR
Marvel's Newest Avengers Are... a Rock Band? | CBR
https://www.cbr.com/gwen-stacy-agwen...ead-rock-band/
Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Gwen Stacy again?!
Old 02-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

A Rock Band as superheroes? Didn't we already do this in the 80s with Dazzler? Or Jem and the Holograms?

The movies weren't always political. Logan stayed away from that. So did Iron Man. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins barely grazed it. Marvel seems to think it's their job to tell people how to live, and that's not the Marvel I know. But now it's leaking back into the comics. Why would the comics bring back this Binary crap? What's Marvel trying to prove, anyway? How annoying they can be? Nobody really cares for any of this stuff.

And of course, we have to further obsess about Gwen Stacy because the woke people think it was wrong to kill her off like that back in 1973. I guess we should change the endings of Romeo & Juliet and Love Story as well, so the snowflakes don't get offended?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Marvel Entertainment
'Gwen Stacy' #1: All the Gwens We've Ever Loved
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-ve-ever-loved
Old 02-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Seriously, dragonfire? What's next, give Betty Brant her own comic?
Old 02-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Screen Rant
The REAL Reason Spider-Man Villains Are Based on Animals
https://screenrant.com/why-spiderman...animals-totem/
Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, no offense, but I always thought that answer was kind of obvious. Spider-Man himself is named after an animal. But then, Batman has a similar situation, doesn't he? Catwoman, Killer Croc, The Penguin, etc.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
CBR
Marvel’s Darkest Future Just Got Even More Depressing for a Movie Hero
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-darkest-f...pressing-hero/
Old 02-18-2020, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Which dark future? They have so many of them.

Hey, Johnny Blaze is back!
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
A Rock Band as superheroes? Didn't we already do this in the 80s with Dazzler? Or Jem and the Holograms?

The movies weren't always political. Logan stayed away from that. So did Iron Man. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins barely grazed it. Marvel seems to think it's their job to tell people how to live, and that's not the Marvel I know. But now it's leaking back into the comics. Why would the comics bring back this Binary crap? What's Marvel trying to prove, anyway? How annoying they can be? Nobody really cares for any of this stuff.

And of course, we have to further obsess about Gwen Stacy because the woke people think it was wrong to kill her off like that back in 1973. I guess we should change the endings of Romeo & Juliet and Love Story as well, so the snowflakes don't get offended?
Iron Man was VERY political. All about how building and selling weapons was bad. Obviously after 12 years you've forgotten. Logan had political elements.

And they're not doing Binary again. Comic book Captain Marvel at her present level of power has about 50 ton strength and powerful energy powers and the ability absorb more energy to bring her up to her previous Binary level of power. It's not quite the same thing. It's been that way for quite some time. You really thought they were making such a fuss about Carol while keeping her at her wimpy Ms Marvel power levels? That's long gone.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Iron Man was VERY political. All about how building and selling weapons was bad. Obviously after 12 years you've forgotten. Logan had political elements.

And they're not doing Binary again. Comic book Captain Marvel at her present level of power has about 50 ton strength and powerful energy powers and the ability absorb more energy to bring her up to her previous Binary level of power. It's not quite the same thing. It's been that way for quite some time. You really thought they were making such a fuss about Carol while keeping her at her wimpy Ms Marvel power levels? That's long gone.
Ahem... I have NOT forgotten. Iron Man was very apolitical. Jon Favreau was interviewed by a journalist about the movie in 2008, and I remember reading the interview. He was asked about how Iron Man didn't seem to lean too far to either the left or the right in terms of its politics. He said, "that's the point." Yes, Obadiah Stane was a bad guy who sold Stark tech to terrorists for profit, but he was always a bad guy in the comics. But Iron Man also made a superhero out of Tony Stark, a weapons manufacturer who creates a high powered, armored battle suit which he uses to go combat terrorists in the middle east. I remember a review of the movie back in 2008 that was somewhat critical of the movie's politics, saying that the theme of the film was, "if you want to solve the problem of middle eastern war and terrorism, send a Marvel Comics superhero to do the job." Some critics on the left took particular issue with the scene where Iron Man frees the village from the soldiers of the Order of the Ten Rings, taking them out with pinpoint precision and without a single civilian casualty. Others took issue with the idea of making a weapons manufacturer like Tony Stark a hero in the first place.

Believe me, I read many reviews of Iron Man when it came out, and its politics were entirely subjective depending on who watched it. Which again, was the entire point according to director Jon Favreau. He didn't want the film to be too politically slanted.

Wimpy Ms. Marvel levels? Her strength, flying, and durability seemed to serve her well enough, and not only her, but Rogue as well after she absorbed them. And how about just good old Mar-Vell power levels, with superhuman strength, flying, photonic energy, and cosmic awareness? I have no problem with her being in the 50 ton range. Mar-Vell's strength level always varied depending on who was writing him. His strength level was originally in the 10 ton range, but you know how Marvel always alters that. Spider-Man shot up from 10 to 20 tons. The point is, if Carol has taken over for Mar-Vell as Protector of the Universe, then that should be more than good enough, especially with the Nega Bands. There's no need for her to be "absorbing" energy and upping herself to Binary levels. Again, that Binary stuff really shouldn't have anything to do with her storyline anymore. That was entirely an X-Men thing, and I don't like the movie using that either.

I mean, again, this is nothing more than unnecessary pandering to post-metoo feminism while ignoring storytelling logic. Remember when they overpowered Wonder Man, with him going from just being superhumanly strong, fast, and invulnerable, to being able to transform himself into pure ionic energy at will and go flying around the cosmos? Please, guys, just pick a power level and stick with it. Or how about New 52 Superman getting that supernova ability where he could focus all of the solar energy in his body and release it all at once as a burst of supernova energy? Seriously, guys? Did you learn nothing from Crisis on Infinite Earths? Thankfully DC got rid of all that New 52 stuff with Rebirth. The point is, don't overpower characters, and certainly not for lame, ideological reasons.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 02-19-2020 at 03:45 PM