Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-18-2020, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow, you sound like that guy from The Princess Bride.

Westley: "You're that smart?"

Vizzini: "Let me put it this way... have you ever heard of Plato? Aristotle? Socrates?"

Westley: "Yes."

Vizzini: "Morons."
Old 05-19-2020, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

They had very narrow-minded and often simplistic views. It may have been breaking new ground back in the Ancient World, but it's not so great now. And their ideas have done a lot of damage down the centuries. As have the ideas of the misnamed "Enlightenment" of the 18th century. Conventional thinking is bloody stupid and narrow-minded.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I thought the age of enlightenment was the 19th century during the Victorian era?

Oh, I just looked it up and it spans the 17th through 19th centuries. So what issue do you have with enlightenment?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

They distrusted anything that wasn't narrow logic and that's had a bad legacy. For example, genre prejudice against fantasy is a knock-on effect of the Enlightenment. They distrusted emotions, intuition, imagination.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Really? That's odd, considering that H.G. Wells and Jules Verne were two of the biggest writers to come out of that era.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Enlightenment was long over by the time those two were writing.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Really? I thought their work was directly inspired by that era. Oh, well.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Enlightenment was mostly the 18th century. Think powdered wigs. They wore powdered wigs during the Enlightenment.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Marc Guggenheim Scripting Spider-Man Universe Heroine ‘Jackpot’ Movie For Sony Pictures
https://deadline.com/2020/05/marc-gu...es-1202940719/
Old 05-22-2020, 03:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Good to see you back, dragonfire.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:41 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Good to see you back, dragonfire.
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
The Enlightenment was mostly the 18th century. Think powdered wigs. They wore powdered wigs during the Enlightenment.
I see.

Thanks, dragonfire.

Wait, so Felicia Hardy, The Black Cat, has yet to even appear in a Spider-Man movie, yet Sony wants to make a movie about Jackpot, a female character created during that godawful "Brand New Day" storyline who was nothing more than a big misdirect to make readers think she was Mary Jane Watson as a superhero? You know, there are a plethora of major female superheroes in Marvel Comics that deserve attention, and this ain't one of them. How about Black Cat, Sony?
Old 05-23-2020, 01:33 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)

Thanks, dragonfire.

Wait, so Felicia Hardy, The Black Cat, has yet to even appear in a Spider-Man movie, yet Sony wants to make a movie about Jackpot, a female character created during that godawful "Brand New Day" storyline who was nothing more than a big misdirect to make readers think she was Mary Jane Watson as a superhero? You know, there are a plethora of major female superheroes in Marvel Comics that deserve attention, and this ain't one of them. How about Black Cat, Sony?
No problem.

Plot twist in the movie Jackpot is Mary Jane Watson. Do you want Guggenheim writing the Black Cat movie cause he's the one writing the Jackpot movie?

I mean we know what he did with Black Canary in Arrow.

Quote:
Newsarama
Marvel Comics AUGUST 2020 Solicitations
https://www.newsarama.com/50291-marv...citations.html
Old 05-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
No problem.

Plot twist in the movie Jackpot is Mary Jane Watson. Do you want Guggenheim writing the Black Cat movie cause he's the one writing the Jackpot movie?

I mean we know what he did with Black Canary in Arrow.

https://www.newsarama.com/50291-marv...citations.html
Thanks for that link, dragonfire.

Oh great, so the movie is making Jackpot turn out to be Mary Jane Watson after all? That's not who she was in the comics. She was teased as possibly being Mary Jane, but she turned out to be a totally different character and was never seen again after that storyline, I believe. That's just a lame decision on their part. Typical Guggenheim. I can't stand that guy.

Hell no! I'd prefer that The Black Cat and Spider-Man be handled by someone else entirely. Guggenheim just destroys everything he touches with his idiotic ideology. I'd prefer he have nothing to do with comic book adaptations ever again.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks for that link, dragonfire.

Oh great, so the movie is making Jackpot turn out to be Mary Jane Watson after all? That's not who she was in the comics. She was teased as possibly being Mary Jane, but she turned out to be a totally different character and was never seen again after that storyline, I believe. That's just a lame decision on their part. Typical Guggenheim. I can't stand that guy.

Hell no! I'd prefer that The Black Cat and Spider-Man be handled by someone else entirely. Guggenheim just destroys everything he touches with his idiotic ideology. I'd prefer he have nothing to do with comic book adaptations ever again.
No problem.

I meant that more as a joke. We don't know yet if she will be Mary Jane Waston, but since Hollywood loves doing the opposite of what the comic did I'm expecting it.

Someone else huh? Someone like Feige? Abrams? Johnson? Kennedy? Or maybe even Wright?