Elite Fan

Quote:
CBR
X-Men: Who Are House of X's Most Important Chimeras? | CBR
https://www.cbr.com/x-men-house-of-x...tant-chimeras/
Old 09-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks for that, dragonfire!

Thanks, MarvelousToons. I promise I'll reply, but it's a long post so it'll take a while.

I'm glad to hear you're good now.
Don't worry, I'll be here... in the shadows... wreaking havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
That's not Cable.
That's why anything in regards to "Kid Cable" isn't on my reading list, and I don't talk about anything not worthy of my reading it lol
Old 09-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

They missed the fact that a key part of what made Cable a good character as that he was an older guy.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's good to know, MarvelousToons. I'm off tomorrow so I'll have time to reply. Typing out a long post is difficult when you're posting and moderating on multiple boards.

Thanks for that link, dragonfire.

I agree, sum1. Cable just doesn't look right any other way than the way he was originally conceived. But today they're way too into appealing to the youngest demographic they can find. Did you see the guy they cast to play Paul Atreides in the new Dune remake? The guy looks like some kid from a CW show.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:23 PM
Elite Fan

No problem.
Quote:
CBR
X-Men: Marvel May Have Confirmed Kate Pryde Is Bisexual | CBR
https://www.cbr.com/marauders-x-men-...de-fan-theory/
Old 09-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Isn't everybody in Marvel comics now?
Old 09-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I know, sum1. Black Cat is as well. Marvel Comics is becoming like 1990s late night Cinemax. And even though a lot of them are bisexual, they don't portray them accurately.

84% report being in a relationship with an opposite sex partner.

9% report being in a relationship with a same-sex partner.

Pew Research Center.

Guess who doesn't like that statistic? The PC police. And the entertainment media bow down to the PC police.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Screen Rant
Marvel Brought The Coolest Wolverine Back, Then Forgot Her
https://screenrant.com/marvel-xmen-w...missing-vault/
Old 09-11-2020, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Logan is the coolest Wolverine.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree, sum1. No one asked for Laura. I like her, but I don't want her supplanting Logan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelousToons (View Post)
Hiyaz Alex! LOL thanx a lot, I actually found that I saved my incomplete post. But hey, nice to have the refresher still

Um... I don't know why writers seem to bring Gwen Stacy into Peter Parker's story so much. Like... they have no reason to do so, she's her own Spiderling in her own universe. And the two characters to me don't even ship well. Peter's story works best with someone in his life that's more average, pairing him with another super something, doesn't... make sense in the long run... at least to me -_-

Hi, MarvelousToons! Okay, now I'm gonna reply. You're welcome. I'm glad I could help you out there.

Oh, so you didn't like Peter being paired with Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat? I liked her a lot, second only to Mary Jane Watson. The Gwen Stacy thing I chalk up to all these manbabies they have in Marvel now who never forgave Marvel for killing off Gwen back in the 1970s and think now that it was a sexist move or something. They don't get that Gwen just wasn't an interesting character and her death provided Peter with yet another tragedy following the death of Ben Parker that showed the growth and development of his character. Also, the movie Love Story had just come out in theaters three years earlier, so guys losing the women they loved was a common theme back then.

Quote:
Yeah, Rachel has an interesting plot in my story as well lol But... I'd like to realize more with her character, and explore some new plot ideas, without the Phoenix

I actually liked and wanted to like Rey as a character... but the writers' and producers' lack of vision and narrative dimension, is why she didn't work, and in reality, the whole third trilogy in general, didn't work. The original trilogy isn't a complicated one, it has a simplicity to it, with some complex themes, and that's why it was great. No one remembers these basics
Wow, Rachel minus the Phoenix? Inspired! She's tied to that damn thing nearly as much as Jean is.

Rey wasn't a character as much as she was a symbol, which is why her character doesn't work. She wasn't created to be anything more than a female Luke Skywalker, but poorly conceived, mostly so that young girls could have a positive role model without actually having a fully developed and human character, like Katniss Everdeen.

Quote:
And let me just say too... I also HATE that these writers keep ****ting on Scott's character. And why did he have to be incarcerated? Wasn't all his crimes the Phoenix's fault? That's something I really wanna fix in my series; exploring Scott's character as a strong, capable leader, who sometimes make very misguided choices, judgments and miscalls, in which causes complex consequences... And little moments of being a know-it-all and micromanaging... but still well intended and loyal... y'know, explore his character that way.

But yes, that with Justice League is a great example of what AvX needed. Showcase the impact of "judgement and cancel culture" against the very heroes that are trying to save lives, and sometimes causes damages in the process. Let's have a socio-political piece on the entitled "soccer-mom" demographic that takes up a false right to dictate how the heroes should conduct themselves, let's see that other side of "toxic" political correctness.
Well, remember that Scott made some bad decisions regarding Hope even before the Phoenix Force took over him, Emma, and the other three that probably contributed to things, which again I felt was inconsistent with his character. Scott's attitude towards Hope seemed like that of a man who had long term amnesia when it came to the Phoenix. It wasn't the Scott Summers I remember from the 80s at all.

Well, it was Frank Miller's version of why the Justice League disbanded, but I think it was very insightful for its time, especially since The Dark Knight Returns came out in the 1980s but it's extremely relevant for today. Yes, that last part you mentioned is exactly what I'd have done with Civil War. I'd have "soccer mom" members of Congress voting on a bill to register superhumans, which would polarize and divide the Avengers ideologically.

Quote:
Then there's in-fighting over the missions of both groups, one, the Avengers I'd see, are compliant to these new demands, while the X-Men, don't wanna stand down. It could lead to so much tension, and even some wanting to stage incidents to prove their point to the public, leading to more confusion and chaos. There... what I said is better than all the thought and work put into AvX combined.

And Jason Aaron is at it again. Heard the news about Namor becoming Phoenix again?

I hate Hope cuz she's the most unnecessary, unoriginal character in the Marvel Universe. Just a cheap Jean Grey copy. Also, I hated her "cocky" personality, and this... bratty teen thing they were trying to do with her... and imply she's created by the Phoenix? I often hate "messiah" fanfics, because the lead in question is often serves the author's avatar fantasy, and the story offers nothing in its narrative.
Well, that's pretty much it, just what you said there. I can't argue with that at all.

Namor again? Didn't he get decapitated a while back or something?

Well, my problem with Hope is that she's a carbon copy of Rachel. She also seems a bit of a stereotype, like a character we've seen way too many times before. "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."

Quote:
No it's the actual answer It is unfortunate that... the films did a disservice to such source material, in favor of fanfics y'know I like your GoG line up. Richard Ryder I know from something I read up on, but cool. Nice that Drax is actually with his daughter, instead of the plot of his daughter being killed. It should have been him and his daughter fighting for the same cause in the films

Gunn omitted anything his walnut brain refused to processed. Writing Adam Warlock's character would take a full sized brain, fully equipped with knowledge of complex character development, understanding the interplay of the hero and villain within, and taking **** seriously in general. The seven year old trapped in the 50-whatever old body, James Gunn, can't do complex storytelling. That's why Adam was omitted.
I'm glad you like my Guardians lineup. I'm just taking the Infinity Watch and changing the name, adding Groot and Rocket. Nova I threw in there because I'd like him to have a role in the story as well. And isn't Moondragon Drax's daughter?

Oh, I'm well aware of Jame's Gunn's pea-brain. I've had his number ever since I saw the Dawn of the Dead remake, which he wrote the screenplay for.

Quote:
In the all in all, looking at the MCU as a standalone, its a very well told, interconnected story overall... yes there were the Iron Man 2's, IM3's, Thor 1 and 2, GotG as far as I'm concerned. Its when I step back and look at comic canon that, this falls apart.

Missteps I hated from the beginning, like Thor 1 and 2 were unforgivable to me. I love Thor, and wished we had some awesome explorations into the world of Asgard and the Nine Realms on some level. Dismissing Hank and Janet were also awful judgments, despite the fact I did love Ant-Man as a movie, and I loved Paul Rudd... sorry I kinda have a little crush
Well, for the record, I'd have cast Chris Pine as Hank Pym and Olivia Wilde as Janet Van Dyne. Or perhaps someone else as Janet, I'm not sure yet. But Scott simply wasn't a necessary character because he's got no story outside of stealing Hank's suit to save his daughter. My problem with the Thor movies is that they weren't structured correctly and didn't follow the mythology well. The Iron Man sequels were just rushed into production and really didn't seem like they had much of a clear story idea. But I don't see the MCU as a very well told, interconnected story overall. I see it as a story that had a few good movies, but overall had no clear direction or theme.

Quote:
Part of what went wrong for Feige, is... giving him the benefit of a doubt (cuz I really like him, as a person... so far) Feige had been through a lot personally in the world of film, and often was snubbed, and not credited for his involvement in many films, prior to the MCU. So when it came to the MCU... he came up with this idea of taking Marvel "stories" and... doing a reworking/TLR thing with it, to make it easy for mass audiences to digest, appreciate and immerse themselves into (which did happen). He did "dumb" some things down, to make it more appreciable and appropriate for young audiences, that's why there's the PG-13 cap on these films.
Kevin Feige's problem is that he was Avi Arad's lapdog all through the original X-Men film saga, and he managed to con Lauren Shuler Donner into thinking he was a comic book expert and knew what he was doing. and as for his "idea" for the MCU, if he had thought things out properly he'd have never allowed Edgar Wright's Ant-Man to go into production. But I've written entire essays on that man's flaws, so I'm not gonna repeat myself.

Quote:
I'm not that kind of storyteller, I'm more raw, experimental, and won't shy away from violence, drugs and other challenging kind of content. But... that would be a reason why I'm not selected for their overall production. In the end, they want as many audiences to enjoy superheroes as possible; comics from early on, were more geared towards kids than any other audience. They've just evolved quite a bit over time.

Regardless... it doesn't excuse certain crimes against cinema level judgments and calls But... I am willing to try to understand Feige's perspective and why choices were made; however, recognize the flaws and problems that came about his choices. Thor was something I always was disappointed with, cuz I love Thor from mythology, so was very disappointed with how his character was handled. He's good at what he does AS a producer, but he definitely needed someone who is very comic savvy with developing the VISION of the MCU. They could have worked together on building something to bridge mass audiences with comics in a much more efficient way... then we'd prolly wouldn't be having this convo
I'm glad that's the kind of storyteller you are. I like people who aren't afraid to take risks in defiance of the studios and the PC police. I think Hollywood underestimates both the audience and the material. And again, I don't give Kevin Feige a pass for anything. The thing with The Vision is exactly the reason you need Hank Pym for the Ultron storyline, because it was Hank's nanotech that allowed for Ultron to map his programming onto the Vision just as Hank's brainwave patterns was the basis for Ultron's mind. But again, I've gone into this so many times I have a headache.

Quote:
I loved the Quicksilver scene... but... eh, that's not a movie I'd revisit anytime soon
Yeah, but I still loved Scott and Jean in Apocalypse.

Quote:
LOL its a plot that I WILL soon reveal in greater detail, besides, as radical as this idea is, I would NEED to run it by some comic buffs to get extra opinions About last month, after discussing the plot with an active participant, they gave me an idea of what a cosmic hero could be, that... transcends anything I've ever seen done, prolly in comics altogether. It's a serious game changer, and I am excited to incorporate it into the "Cosmic Rival's" character development

I personally wouldn't have Jean either as a cosmic hero... but since that was a complaint in my Q&A, its something that I am going to tackle.

Rather than the "endless cycle of torture", it focuses on her and Phoenix sharing the same issues from different perspectives; the Phoenix has to deal with the fact that IT itself is the creator of its own demons, which even reflects in the life forms that turned to evil. Jean Grey through this journey, is forced to face certain shortcomings of hers within the X-Men. The issues of both characters are reflectively tied to the Cosmic Rival, and its/his host. Something I will share in PM, in good time
Thanks, I look forward to it.

Quote:
No I don't James Gunn is not a great filmmaker, from the **** I've seen of his in the past. GotG is actually his best work.

But thanks
You're welcome. And I've already commented on Gunn.

Lemme get to the rest of your comment later. Man, you wrote a lot of stuff.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
CBR
Spider-Man Reveals A MAJOR X-Men Hero Never Impressed Him | CBR
https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-x-men...arvel-zombies/
Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I agree, sum1. No one asked for Laura. I like her, but I don't want her supplanting Logan.
I read a very little with Laura and someone put it well, that she should have been written as her own character, without the attachment of being Wolverine. That would have worked best

Quote:
Hi, MarvelousToons! Okay, now I'm gonna reply. You're welcome. I'm glad I could help you out there.
LOL we talked about SOOOO much, this time I'm gonna make this succinct and not too detailed. I love to talk about things like this, and I get well overboard

Quote:
Oh, so you didn't like Peter being paired with Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat? I liked her a lot, second only to Mary Jane Watson. The Gwen Stacy thing I chalk up to all these manbabies they have in Marvel now who never forgave Marvel for killing off Gwen back in the 1970s and think now that it was a sexist move or something. They don't get that Gwen just wasn't an interesting character and her death provided Peter with yet another tragedy following the death of Ben Parker that showed the growth and development of his character. Also, the movie Love Story had just come out in theaters three years earlier, so guys losing the women they loved was a common theme back then.
I don't remember what I said there, um... now I think Felicia is a good pair for Peter... But... I don't really remember what I said and don't care to go back lol

I only knew of Gwen Stacy as "Spider-Gwen", and did know bits and pieces here and there. I never knew too much about her, didn't care kinda. I've always seen Peter with Mary Jane as the best pair, only because Mary Jane was the non-super in the relationship, and I liked Peter having this relationship with someone that couldn't necessarily relate to him as a superhero. I need to read the runs with him and Black Cat tho lol

Quote:
Wow, Rachel minus the Phoenix? Inspired! She's tied to that damn thing nearly as much as Jean is.
Rachel will have moments as the Phoenix, but... it's not going to play NEARLY a major role into her character, the way the comics have. The Phoenix only becomes important in her character WAAAAAY later on, in the story arcs "Etienne" and "The Children of Phoenix". This story spends time with Rachel's developing relationship/investigation of the mystery behind Olivier Raven, and how the Phoenix Force ties all involved members to a chaotic cosmic plight.

Quote:
Rey wasn't a character as much as she was a symbol, which is why her character doesn't work. She wasn't created to be anything more than a female Luke Skywalker, but poorly conceived, mostly so that young girls could have a positive role model without actually having a fully developed and human character, like Katniss Everdeen.
I totally agree and meant to mention that, Rey is Kathleen Kennedy's author avatar. And what wound up happening with Rey, the writer's "message" got in the way of developing Rey into a full complete character. She became more of a plot device, than a human being, that embarks a life changing voyage of self realization.

Hunger Games is STILL on my list

Quote:
Well, remember that Scott made some bad decisions regarding Hope even before the Phoenix Force took over him, Emma, and the other three that probably contributed to things, which again I felt was inconsistent with his character. Scott's attitude towards Hope seemed like that of a man who had long term amnesia when it came to the Phoenix. It wasn't the Scott Summers I remember from the 80s at all.
I don't care to remember what all happened at this point. Every direction of AVX was piss poor ****, isn't Bendis responsible for AvX? He was also responsible for killing of one of the best character potentials, Matthew Malloy. I will never forgive that

Quote:
Well, it was Frank Miller's version of why the Justice League disbanded, but I think it was very insightful for its time, especially since The Dark Knight Returns came out in the 1980s but it's extremely relevant for today. Yes, that last part you mentioned is exactly what I'd have done with Civil War. I'd have "soccer mom" members of Congress voting on a bill to register superhumans, which would polarize and divide the Avengers ideologically.
Yeah, the "soccer mom" piece is actually something I've been considering to tackle, alongside the negative of PC policing everything. I think "narrative diversity" is lacking in how to see things in a full, encompassing perspective. There's an area in which, its important to call out offensive behaviors, and get political in defending certain demographics... however, there needs to show the flip side of that. How PC culture is a problem, and can be used as a tool against freedom of speech, belief and conduct. I'd like to showcase that as well

Quote:
Well, that's pretty much it, just what you said there. I can't argue with that at all.

Quote:
Namor again? Didn't he get decapitated a while back or something?
I don't know but of ALL mutants, why has Namor had the Phoenix shoehorned into his narrative? He's a ****ing SEA CREATURE, the opposite of a Phoenix. Characters like Havok, Gambit, and Sunspot, got WAAAAAY more in common with the Phoenix than NAMOR does

Quote:
Well, my problem with Hope is that she's a carbon copy of Rachel. She also seems a bit of a stereotype, like a character we've seen way too many times before. "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."
I agree with the stereotype thing, but... ugh, she's someone I really don't like

Quote:
I'm glad you like my Guardians lineup. I'm just taking the Infinity Watch and changing the name, adding Groot and Rocket. Nova I threw in there because I'd like him to have a role in the story as well. And isn't Moondragon Drax's daughter? [

Oh, I'm well aware of Jame's Gunn's pea-brain. I've had his number ever since I saw the Dawn of the Dead remake, which he wrote the screenplay for.
I do
Um... Moondragon as far as I know is Drax's daughter, but in James Gunn's film, Drax goes on about the death of this daughter so... the more I look at GOTG the more I get mad and sick

I saw like, clips of that horse**** remake. My mom talks about it like no one else can

Quote:
Well, for the record, I'd have cast Chris Pine as Hank Pym and Olivia Wilde as Janet Van Dyne. Or perhaps someone else as Janet, I'm not sure yet. But Scott simply wasn't a necessary character because he's got no story outside of stealing Hank's suit to save his daughter. My problem with the Thor movies is that they weren't structured correctly and didn't follow the mythology well. The Iron Man sequels were just rushed into production and really didn't seem like they had much of a clear story idea. But I don't see the MCU as a very well told, interconnected story overall. I see it as a story that had a few good movies, but overall had no clear direction or theme.
Ooooh Chris Pine would make an awesome Hank Pym!

Yes... Thor, about Thor... I wouldn't have mind it too much if they strayed SOME from the mythology (which isn't smart), but they did NOTHING with Thor's character and background development. They built no mythos of their own, no real backstory, just nothing at all! Personally, I wanna explore more from the mythological perspective, and figure out how to make it work with comic canon. I've been working on a REALLY good story for Thor, and his development as a hero, and a Cosmic level hero

Quote:
Kevin Feige's problem is that he was Avi Arad's lapdog all through the original X-Men film saga, and he managed to con Lauren Shuler Donner into thinking he was a comic book expert and knew what he was doing. and as for his "idea" for the MCU, if he had thought things out properly he'd have never allowed Edgar Wright's Ant-Man to go into production. But I've written entire essays on that man's flaws, so I'm not gonna repeat myself.
LOL I'm not gonna argue with any of that I am someone willing to give some a benefit of a doubt... but... there are these glaring issues that, even as an MCU fan myself, cannot overlook or get over

Quote:
I'm glad that's the kind of storyteller you are. I like people who aren't afraid to take risks in defiance of the studios and the PC police. I think Hollywood underestimates both the audience and the material. And again, I don't give Kevin Feige a pass for anything. The thing with The Vision is exactly the reason you need Hank Pym for the Ultron storyline, because it was Hank's nanotech that allowed for Ultron to map his programming onto the Vision just as Hank's brainwave patterns was the basis for Ultron's mind. But again, I've gone into this so many times I have a headache.
Definitely

I hope to set a trend in reviving experimentalism in storytelling for film, animation or whatever media. Back in the 2000s, anime brought about a cutting edge renaissance in media, and soon enough, many tropes, characteristics and pop-cultural ideals grew into the mainstream. And it was different from average type of storytelling, often not worried over political correctness, and was straight forward with its own narrative. Guess what? People LOVED it! Anime is a continuously growing culture to this day. I wish something like that could happen again, and get creative thought stirred once more with these studio writers.

I agree that, Hollywood would make decisions on what people may or may not find relatable in the original source, and then **** it up by watering it down, or making unnecessary changes, that sometimes disrespects the original source. And I didn't know that about Hank Pym's involvement with Ultron (I mean I have for a while now, but ykwim lol) and that's something did not need to be changed. it would have been a better way to tie Ant-Man into the whole Avengers' narrative, had they maintained Hank Pym's importance.

Quote:
Yeah, but I still loved Scott and Jean in Apocalypse.
Grr, well maybe... just maaaaaybe, I may... look back at it again...

Quote:
Thanks, I look forward to it.

Quote:
You're welcome. And I've already commented on Gunn.

Lemme get to the rest of your comment later. Man, you wrote a lot of stuff.
No sweat, I hope the answers I did in this one is way less wordy and ****
Old 09-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for that, dragonfire. So now Peter never respected Beast, huh?

Hi, MarvelousToons! Yes, give me a chance to get caught up on everything because you wrote an awful lot. I'll try to get the rest tomorrow.

Oh, and you earlier said that you thought that Peter needed to be with a normal woman and not a Spider-Gwen character, and I mentioned that Felicia Hardy is not a normal woman, she's Black Cat, so does that mean you don't like Peter with her? Well, you obviously answered that question. And Gwen Stacy from the main Marvel universe was just an ordinary woman that Peter was in love with back in college, but they killed her off back in 1973 when she was thrown off of the George Washington bridge by Green Goblin and Peter tried to stop her fall by tagging her with a web line, but he stopped her too quickly after she had already fallen too far, and she ended up breaking her neck due to whiplash. And no, I don't like all these damn alternate reality Gwen Stacys either.