Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I know what you mean. I wanted to punch someone in the Academy after The Dark Knight got snubbed.
I think punching people in the Academy can get you into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Search4Truth~ (View Post)
Empire has also put Logan on its top 10 movies of the year list: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...en-films-2017/

Not many comic book movies make it to their top 10 each year.
Yeah, for a popular magazine, Empire is quite snobby. I used to read it often and they sneered endlessly at comic book fans, which was hypocritical considering their own obvious interest in comic book movies.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

sum1, the entire Academy gave that pedophile, Roman Polanski, a standing ovation when he won the Oscar for Best Director for The Pianist in 2002, so a lot of them deserve a punch.

And after The Dark Knight debacle the Academy has a chance to redeem itself with Logan. The Dark Knight's exclusion is partially the reason they increased the Best Picture nominees to ten.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

You seem very worked up about the sexual misbehavior of the rich and famous.

I think they increased Best Picture nominees to ten so they could have more bull films nominated.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Only the ones who get away with it, sum1. That's why I'm glad that Harvey Weinstein finally got taken down. He was another member of the Academy and just had his membership revoked.

Well, you could say they were just going back to their original nominating process, since ten nominees were what the Academy had for the first ten years of the Oscars before they lowered it to five.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

What surprises me is that anybody is surprised by any of these revelations. Hollywood's always been like that. Actresses used to have to routinely have sex with the directors to get roles. It's kind of hypocritical for people to pretend Hollywood is any other sort of town. People can certainly hope to improve it, but as for being surprised, it makes no sense to me. Wherever the rich and famous are, there's going to be abuses -film and tv, music, bestselling fiction, politics, big business, etc. Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Kevin Spacey, Jimmy Savile, Donald Trump. By all means work to improve it, people, but don't act surprised. Human nature is ugly and power, fame and wealth all corrupt.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, I'm well aware of this, sum1. Actress Tippi Hedren revealed that Alfred Hitchcock sexually harassed her while on the set of Marnie, and later ruined her career when she refused him. That's been common knowledge in Hollywood for decades. I'm just glad that the dam has finally broken and these guys are finally being held accountable.

Marion Zimmer Bradley molesting her own daughter was just horrible.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Alfred Hitchcock gives me the creeps. Not to mention that in Marnie they had the male lead rape the female lead in the story. And she stays with him after. Screwed up bloody film.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hitchcock was a creep, but still a genius filmmaker. His actions in his life may have been contemptible and reprehensible, but nothing will stop me from loving Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Vertigo, North By Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and others.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think his films are vastly overrated.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I figured. But the ones I mentioned are among my favorites. I sometimes put on Rear Window to fall asleep to, not that it's boring, but I find it soothing.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 PM
Elite Fan

Hugh and Patrick attended a BAFTA screening tonight for Logan. I take this as a very good sign!

-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 11-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for those links, Theresa!

Do Charles and Logan count as father and son?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, I think so ... in the movie verse anyway since Charles was such a mentor to Logan. Logan is older, but he needed a compassionate mentor to help tame him and help him find his humanity again after all he’d been through.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Charles certainly wasn't a father to Logan in the comics. In the comics they interact as equals and Wolverine stands out as the older X-Man who's more on Xavier's level. He also tends to show a rebellious streak towards Xavier by calling him stuff like "Chuck" and "Charlie", which Xavier doesn't appreciate.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah. True. Like I said, I do see a mentor/father figure relationship in the movies though that was explored in X1 and X2, and fleshed out in Days of Future Past. Honestly, I like their relationship in the movies more than in the comics. Hugh Jackman has said that Patrick Stewart has at times been a father like figure to him as an actor, so keep in mind that this could also be what Hugh is referring to.