Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

I enjoyed that film more than most people did. Blake Lively.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Master Fan

^Not a fan of her at all.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

She was great in Age of Adaline with Harrison Ford.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Master Fan

I haven't seen that movie yet, and when I do, it'll be for other actors.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
Wow you guys and your comic book knowledge
I know, Sarah. Imagine, people on the X-Men board actually knowing something about comic books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Alex I believe WB/DC may be scared to make a another Green Lantern/Hal Jordan sole movie, since the last one flopped at the box office. One thing I noticed if a DC movie flops it may be a long time before WB tries to make another one. Well except Batman WB gives Batman, and his characters unlimited chances, while they give the other DC characters only one chance.
Hi, dragonfire! Well, X-Men Origins: Wolverine flopped, but that didn't stop Fox from taking another shot at getting Deadpool right with the Deadpool movie, remember? Ryan Reynolds redeemed himself with the Deadpool movie and erased that awful Deadpool from X-Men Origins, so there's no reason why WB couldn't do the same thing with Hal Jordan. Just because the first Green Lantern movie had a bad script doesn't mean that Hal Jordan can't be given a proper and better treatment in a new film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Well, I'm not familiar enough with the name Riri to know if it's a stereotype, but it is true that down the line Tony Stark is likely to be the one that's remembered. They've made a black woman into a spinoff of a white male character. Stop subordinating minority characters to white characters!

And I hear they just killed off War Machine. So much for them wanting more minority characters. I remember when he was Iron Man back in the '80s. I never had a problem with him, but back then there wasn't a general trend of making minority characters into subordinate versions of white male characters.
I agree, sum1. And "Ri Ri" sounds like a character from 'Empire,' so it does seem a bit stereotypical, but I just went off on PC so I don't wanna sound too much like a hypocrite. She's created by Brian Bendis, the same guy who created Miles Morales for Ultimate Spider-Man... and just because actor Donald Glover complained about not being considered for the role of Peter Parker, which went to Andrew Garfield instead. Seriously? Who cares about Hollywood actors? They complain about everything.

I heard that War Machine was "sort of" killed, but was preserved by nano-bots or some such thing, and he's now like Cyborg or something. That's original. I personally preferred Terence Howard as James Rhodes. Don Cheadle just doesn't look like Rhodey from the comics to me, but that's just me. I didn't like Robert Downey Jr. getting Terence fired from the Iron Man movies, though. I liked Rhodey in the early 80's comics as well. He was the Iron Man in the Secret Wars miniseries, as well as the Iron Man in the original West Coast Avengers miniseries. I know you didn't like WCA, but I kinda thought it made sense to have two teams, one on each coast, to give them greater mobility. Cap always was more east coast-based, and Tony does seem more at home on the west coast. X-Men did the same thing with their Blue and Gold teams.

I agree with you about Beta Ray Bill and Eric Masterson as well. I know you don't like Donald Blake, but my only reason for giving him a pass was because he didn't really exist. He was always Thor, just having been brainwashed into thinking he was a human. Was it any worse than when Thor was turned into a frog? Remember that one? Ditto Wolverine losing his adamantium, but I think that was done just to change his claws so they were actually bone that was covered in adamantium and not artificial constructs put into his arms.

As for She-Hulk being objectified, hasn't pretty much every female superhero going all the way back to Wonder Woman and Catwoman? They always draw these characters to arouse and attract the attention of male readers. And I understand your reservations about X-23, but I'm willing to give her a chance because I do think that they're doing with her what they did with She-Hulk and that she'll be her own character. And Chris Claremont was good at writing female characters, but he's the exception. I think there were a lot more writers back in the day who knew how to write women in comics than there are now.

Quote:
Well for me it comes down to personal preference. I never got especially attached to Mar-Vell or Carol Danvers, but Monica Rambeau is an old favorite of mine, so I prefer her to have the name. Carol can go back to being Ms Marvel, which is what she was originally.
Well, unfortunately it's too late for that, sum1. The Ms. Marvel name has been given to Kamala Khan, the Muslim-American superhero, as part of Marvel's "All New, All Different" cultural redistribution project. And with Carol getting her own Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson, I think Marvel has pretty much settled on her being the heir apparent to Mar-Vell. And again, while I like Monica Rambeau, I still think the Captain Marvel name should go to the wielder of the nega-bands and the title of "Protector of the Universe," and that's Carol Danvers. I do wish they'd give Monica a new storyline and a better name. How difficult is it to come up with a name? DC can make a name out of anything.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)

Hi, dragonfire! Well, X-Men Origins: Wolverine flopped, but that didn't stop Fox from taking another shot at getting Deadpool right with the Deadpool movie, remember? Ryan Reynolds redeemed himself with the Deadpool movie and erased that awful Deadpool from X-Men Origins, so there's no reason why WB couldn't do the same thing with Hal Jordan. Just because the first Green Lantern movie had a bad script doesn't mean that Hal Jordan can't be given a proper and better treatment in a new film.

I think some of the test? footage of Deadpool got leaked out, also when FOX saw that people wanted more, and a Deadpool movie they decided to make a Deadpool movie. As for WB they could if they wasn't so hook on Batman/co.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
I think some of the test? footage of Deadpool got leaked out, also when FOX saw that people wanted more, and a Deadpool movie they decided to make a Deadpool movie. As for WB they could if they wasn't so hook on Batman/co.
Yeah, but considering that Deadpool isn't nearly as well known a title as Green Lantern, I still think WB could've and should've given Hal Jordan another chance. Now he's gonna have to be in a team-up movie with John Stewart, and he doesn't even get to be in the Justice League movie. But you're right, WB doesn't seem to care unless it's Batman or Superman.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I agree, sum1. And "Ri Ri" sounds like a character from 'Empire,' so it does seem a bit stereotypical, but I just went off on PC so I don't wanna sound too much like a hypocrite. She's created by Brian Bendis, the same guy who created Miles Morales for Ultimate Spider-Man... and just because actor Donald Glover complained about not being considered for the role of Peter Parker, which went to Andrew Garfield instead. Seriously? Who cares about Hollywood actors? They complain about everything.
Donald Glover bagged the role of Lando in the Han Solo movie, which I think is a mistake, because he looks nothing like Billy Dee Williams, the original Lando. But then that whole movie is a mistake.

Quote:
I personally preferred Terence Howard as James Rhodes. Don Cheadle just doesn't look like Rhodey from the comics to me, but that's just me.
Terrance Howard looks nothing like Rhodey either. Plus he has a baby-like face and a weak voice. He gets on my nerves and he has no talent. Don Cheadle is a high quality actor and at least looks more like Rhodey than Terrance does. Don replacing Terrance is one of the reasons Iron Man 2 was way better than Iron Man 1. That, the introduction of War Machine and the introduction of the Black Widow. But then none of the Iron Man movies was very good. But I at least enjoyed Iron Man 2. I can't say that for 1 or 3.

Quote:
I liked Rhodey in the early 80's comics as well. He was the Iron Man in the Secret Wars miniseries, as well as the Iron Man in the original West Coast Avengers miniseries.
Yeah, Rhodey as Iron Man brings back memories for me.

Quote:
I know you didn't like WCA, but I kinda thought it made sense to have two teams, one on each coast, to give them greater mobility. Cap always was more east coast-based, and Tony does seem more at home on the west coast. X-Men did the same thing with their Blue and Gold teams.
It's not that I dislike the WCA. I just don't see them as mainstream Avengers. They're a spinoff. To me being in the WCA is not being "in the Avengers". It's being in the West Coast Avengers. My favorite WCA character was probably Wonder Man and Marvel has screwed him up every which way. Now, Rogue has absorbed his powers and while I like Rogue having powers like that (she's an old favorite), I want Wonder Man to have them too. I noted that "Simon Williams", his civilian name, was listed among the characters in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (unfortunately played by Nathan Fillion). Maybe Wonder Man is going to make a comeback? I have a casual liking for Iron Man, and a certain amount of interest in Hawkeye because of his complicated personality (though I find his abilities a bit lame). I liked Moon Knight too. But I'm not going to go through every WCA character and comment on them here.

Quote:
I agree with you about Beta Ray Bill and Eric Masterson as well. I know you don't like Donald Blake, but my only reason for giving him a pass was because he didn't really exist. He was always Thor, just having been brainwashed into thinking he was a human.
That was a retcon. He didn't start out as that. He started out as a real man who could use the hammer to turn himself into Thor, and gradually the Thor mode of the character shifted into being the real Thor.

Quote:
Ditto Wolverine losing his adamantium, but I think that was done just to change his claws so they were actually bone that was covered in adamantium and not artificial constructs put into his arms.
But they kept him without the adamantium for about 7 years.

Quote:
As for She-Hulk being objectified, hasn't pretty much every female superhero going all the way back to Wonder Woman and Catwoman? They always draw these characters to arouse and attract the attention of male readers.
They went in for it in a big way with She-Hulk. Comic covers with her naked except for a newspaper, etc.

Quote:
Well, unfortunately it's too late for that, sum1. The Ms. Marvel name has been given to Kamala Khan, the Muslim-American superhero, as part of Marvel's "All New, All Different" cultural redistribution project. And with Carol getting her own Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson, I think Marvel has pretty much settled on her being the heir apparent to Mar-Vell. And again, while I like Monica Rambeau, I still think the Captain Marvel name should go to the wielder of the nega-bands and the title of "Protector of the Universe," and that's Carol Danvers. I do wish they'd give Monica a new storyline and a better name. How difficult is it to come up with a name? DC can make a name out of anything.
Well whatever her name, Monica is a superior character to Carol and she deserves to be seen in the comics and the MCU movies.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yeah, but considering that Deadpool isn't nearly as well known a title as Green Lantern, I still think WB could've and should've given Hal Jordan another chance. Now he's gonna have to be in a team-up movie with John Stewart, and he doesn't even get to be in the Justice League movie. But you're right, WB doesn't seem to care unless it's Batman or Superman.
Batman? yes Superman? no. It seems they announced a DC Gotham Sirens Movie is in the works, also a Nightwing movie is in the works, and really it's always been like this it doesn't matter if it's the comics/live-action/animated Batman/co always get the better end of the deal.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

They finally got Batman right in Batman vs Superman. Ben Affleck was brilliant in the role. By contrast, Christian Bale was too cold and unsympathetic, Michael Keaton was too normal, Clooney was too smug and Kilmer was just not right for the role at all.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
They finally got Batman right in Batman vs Superman. Ben Affleck was brilliant in the role.
I agree to me he was one of the best parts in the movie.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, along with Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Chris Pine
Keanu Reeves

I liked Gal in Fast Furious movies
Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I liked Wonder Man too, sum1. And since when did Rogue take his powers? Can't she just stick to her own? This is the second person she's done this too, after Carol Danvers. I thought Simon Williams' ionic power couldn't be taken from him like that? And he's supposedly in Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Well, I won't speculate at this point. I'm still waiting for Adam Warlock to show up in Guardians of the Galaxy, since Gamora is supposed to be HIS girlfriend. And I agree that Monica Rambeau should get a chance to be in the MCU. I just think for narrative reasons the Captain Marvel name should stay with Carol since she's part of that storyline and Monica isn't.

Yeah, I know it was a retcon, but I still consider Donald Blake to be Thor's alternate personality created by Odin and not a real person. As for Wolverine losing his adamantium for 7 years, Marvel always does this to its characters. Sometimes they de-power them if they think they've been too powerful for too long, or alter them slightly and stuff like that. Remember when they limited Hank Pym's size changing after that lab accident? Or when they paralyzed Tony Stark and had him become dependent on the Iron Man armor? Or when they powered down the Hulk during his gray-skinned "Mr. Fixit" period? Or when they gave Peter Parker those organic web-shooters after the Sam Raimi film came out? I personally don't like it, but whatever...

I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't really like Ben Affleck's Batman either. He's too old, for one thing. Why Zack Snyder would make Bruce Wayne an aging superhero near the end of his career when Superman is just starting out and before the Justice League has even been formed is beyond me. I know he's got a thing for Frank Miller, but it's out of context in this instance. I also don't like that he was so easily manipulated by Lex Luthor. Bruce is supposed to be the world's greatest detective, so why do filmmakers always dumb him down? Bruce gets cryptic messages goading him into a fight with Superman and he doesn't even investigate where these messages are coming from? That's like Sherlock Holmes allowing Professor Moriarty to play him. Luthor has never outwitted Bruce, and Bruce is always five steps ahead of everyone. And since when has Batman ever branded people with his bat-shuriken, guaranteeing they'll get killed in prison? I just didn't think that Ben really had the personality of Bruce Wayne down. He made him seem to easily unhinged. And his Bat-suit didn't do it for me. That Frank Miller-inspired Bat symbol looks like a kite, not a bat. So far my favorite Batman has been Kevin Conroy, and the Batman from the Arkham video games.

I just don't think Hollywood's ever nailed it. I agree with you about Michael Keaton. I get into arguments on YouTube all the time with people who say that Keaton "captured the essence of Bruce Wayne." How, by sitting around brooding all the time while Jack Nicholson stole the entire movie? Those movies were always more about the villains than about Batman, and Keaton never got to do much. He was physically wrong for the role - too short, too old, and not convincing as a martial arts-trained vigilante/detective. Christian Bale was too wimpy as Bruce Wayne and tried too hard to "method" his way through the role. His Bruce Wayne was even less of a detective and relied way too much on other people's help. His fight scene choreography was the worst I've ever seen, and his incoherent growling was ridiculous. I'm not gonna even get into the embarrassment that was George Clooney. And Val Kilmer didn't give a . He wouldn't even dye his hair for the role. Bruce Wayne as a blonde? Seriously?

You're gonna think I'm OCD or something, but I do care that the actors look like the characters they're playing. How can I take Amy Adams seriously as Lois Lane when she looks like the prototypical Marvel redhead? I'm sorry, are you Jean Grey? Mary Jane Watson? Natasha Romanov? Who? Lois Lane????

I disliked Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman because she played her as a ditzy blonde, and she's supposed to be a sultry dark-haired seductress. Kirsten Dunst is a natural blonde, but dyed her hair red for Mary Jane Watson. Emma Stone is a natural redhead, but dyed her hair blonde for Gwen Stacy. Even Brandon Routh wore blue contacts over his natural brown eyes to play Superman. Val Kilmer just didn't look at all like Bruce Wayne. And both Christian Bale and Ben Affleck have brown eyes, but Bruce Wayne is blue eyed. I know, it sounds weird, but I still wish they got the eyes right. Gal Gadot looks great as Wonder Woman, but I wish she had those piercing blue eyes like the character from the comics instead of brown. Hugh Jackman nails the personality of Wolverine, but at 6'2" he's way too tall. And all the guys who play the 6'3" Cyclops are way too short. Remember Toby Maguire as Peter Parker? Not only was he too short, and lacked Peter's signature snappy banter, he had blue eyes. Peter Parker has brown eyes in the comics! That's why I loved Andrew Garfield as Peter. He had the right hair, the right height, he nailed the snappy banter, and he had brown eyes. When I looked at him, I saw Peter Parker.

Do I sound too nitpicky?

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-18-2017 at 05:36 PM
Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I liked Wonder Man too, sum1. And since when did Rogue take his powers?
In Uncanny Avengers in 2014. It was consensual, but it was supposed to be temporary and it became permanent.

Quote:
Can't she just stick to her own? This is the second person she's done this too, after Carol Danvers.
Well I was happy with her having Carol's. Danvers is one of these characters I don't really give a damn about. Whereas Rogue is one of my favorites.

Quote:
I thought Simon Williams' ionic power couldn't be taken from him like that? And he's supposedly in Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Well, I won't speculate at this point. I'm still waiting for Adam Warlock to show up in Guardians of the Galaxy, since Gamora is supposed to be HIS girlfriend.
I think there might be copyright problems with Adam Warlock. I'm fine with Gamora/Starlord.

Quote:
Yeah, I know it was a retcon, but I still consider Donald Blake to be Thor's alternate personality created by Odin and not a real person. As for Wolverine losing his adamantium for 7 years, Marvel always does this to its characters. Sometimes they de-power them if they think they've been too powerful for too long, or alter them slightly and stuff like that. Remember when they limited Hank Pym's size changing after that lab accident? Or when they paralyzed Tony Stark and had him become dependent on the Iron Man armor? Or when they powered down the Hulk during his gray-skinned "Mr. Fixit" period? Or when they gave Peter Parker those organic web-shooters after the Sam Raimi film came out? I personally don't like it, but whatever...
I don't like it either.

Quote:
I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't really like Ben Affleck's Batman either. He's too old, for one thing. Why Zack Snyder would make Bruce Wayne an aging superhero near the end of his career when Superman is just starting out and before the Justice League has even been formed is beyond me. I know he's got a thing for Frank Miller, but it's out of context in this instance.
Making Batman older adds depth to the character, makes him more interesting. I prefer this take on Batman. Plus, the world is getting older, with more older people and less younger ones. People are retiring later. Older people are having more effect in elections. "Grey power" they call it. Veteran superheroes being stuck in their 20s doesn't cut it any more. It's time for more older superheroes. The cast of Marvel's onscreen Avengers are hardly all that young, particularly RDJ.

Quote:
I also don't like that he was so easily manipulated by Lex Luthor. Bruce is supposed to be the world's greatest detective, so why do filmmakers always dumb him down?
Because they don't want to make him as much of a Mary Sue as he is in the comics?

Quote:
And since when has Batman ever branded people with his bat-shuriken, guaranteeing they'll get killed in prison?
Making Batman edgier is fine by me.

Quote:
I just didn't think that Ben really had the personality of Bruce Wayne down. He made him seem to easily unhinged.
In other words, he (and the writing) made him a more interesting character. I hate how DC characters are so bloody perfect. This is a welcome change.

Quote:
You're gonna think I'm OCD or something, but I do care that the actors look like the characters they're playing. How can I take Amy Adams seriously as Lois Lane when she looks like the prototypical Marvel redhead? I'm sorry, are you Jean Grey? Mary Jane Watson? Natasha Romanov? Who? Lois Lane????
I didn't notice her hair colour, but I did notice her being a lot less good-looking than Lois Lane is supposed to be. Still, she did a good acting job, so I'd say she's the best Lois Lane yet. It was a very human performance. I wasn't fond of the Lois in the original Superman films, particularly not the way she spoke.

Quote:
I disliked Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman because she played her as a ditzy blonde, and she's supposed to be a sultry dark-haired seductress.
I disliked her Catwoman all around, never mind the hair. I disliked that movie. Their take on the Penguin made me want to vomit and their Catwoman was annoying. It was an artistically done film, but it was all ed up.

Quote:
Kirsten Dunst is a natural blonde, but dyed her hair red for Mary Jane Watson.
She still couldn't come off as MJ if her life depended on it. MJ has personality. Dunst made her whiny-looking and bland.

Quote:
Emma Stone is a natural redhead, but dyed her hair blonde for Gwen Stacy. Even Brandon Routh wore blue contacts over his natural brown eyes to play Superman. Val Kilmer just didn't look at all like Bruce Wayne. And both Christian Bale and Ben Affleck have brown eyes, but Bruce Wayne is blue eyed. I know, it sounds weird, but I still wish they got the eyes right. Gal Gadot looks great as Wonder Woman, but I wish she had those piercing blue eyes like the character from the comics instead of brown. Hugh Jackman nails the personality of Wolverine, but at 6'2" he's way too tall. And all the guys who play the 6'3" Cyclops are way too short. Remember Toby Maguire as Peter Parker? Not only was he too short, and lacked Peter's signature snappy banter, he had blue eyes. Peter Parker has brown eyes in the comics! That's why I loved Andrew Garfield as Peter. He had the right hair, the right height, he nailed the snappy banter, and he had brown eyes. When I looked at him, I saw Peter Parker.
I personally don't care about the eye colour of whoever they cast in superhero roles.

Last edited by sum1; 03-19-2017 at 02:29 PM