Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I'm glad you agree
Old 06-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, Rita. Now, I'm not saying the film didn't have problems. I think that by now the creators of these films should've known better than to make the mistakes they made. But it was by no means the worst X-Men film ever. That honor still belongs to X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay, here are the things I liked and disliked about Dark Phoenix.

The good:

1. Jennifer Lawrence and Sophie Turner in tight jeans and shirts. Got a problem with that? Go #metoo yourselves.

2. McAvoy and Fassbender as Charles and Erik. These two simply cannot give a bad performance.

3. Tye Sheridan was given more to do as Cyclops this time, but I still felt he could've been given more. And while there were still problems, I thought they did a better job with Scott and Jean's relationship than the original trilogy. I also loved Sophie Turner's performance as Jean.

4. The mission to rescue the space shuttle where Jean and the X-Men encounter the Phoenix Force was more consistent with the Phoenix storyline from the comics.

5. Jessica Chastain made a pretty good villain. And did anyone else notice that Dazzler(Alison Blaire) made a cameo appearance during the bonfire party at the Xavier Institute?

The bad:

1. Scott and Jean's romance is still not developed well. We go from their initial meeting in Apocalypse, right into them already being in an established relationship in Dark Phoenix. Why can the writers never devote any time to really developing and fleshing out their relationship the way they did with Hank and Raven? It's great that they're honoring Scott and Jean's storyline from the comics, but how about letting the movie audience know why Scott and Jean are together as well? Although I think this movie did a better job than the original trilogy, I still think the filmmakers can do better.

2. The villains. Okay, we have an entirely new race of shape shifting aliens? That's original. Yes, obviously their original plan was to use the Skrulls, and obviously they changed plans at the last minute and made these aliens the... I honestly don't remember their name, but I don't recognize them from the comics. It's true that both Fox and Marvel share the rights to the Skrulls because they were introduced in Fantastic Four, which Fox still held the rights to when Dark Phoenix went into production. But if they decided to not use the Skrulls because of Captain Marvel, then why not just use the Shi'ar instead? That's the alien race that is most connected to the X-Men and the Dark Phoenix storyline. It's clear that Jessica Chastain's character was greatly influenced by Lilandra of the Shi'ar, giving her silver-white hair instead of a head of white feathers, but why was creating this entirely new race of shape-shifters even necessary? Aren't the Shi'ar Imperial Guard badass enough to have them be the ones to go up against the X-Men and the US military? Can you imagine seeing Gladiator, Starbolt, Oracle, Nightside, Smasher, Pulsar, Titan, Fang, Astra, and Neutron going up against the X-Men in Dark Phoenix?

3. No Bobby Drake as Iceman? Come on, he should be the one making ice cubes for Scott and Jean's drinks, not Storm. Storm controls weather, but having her be a stand-in for Bobby when they need some intense cold has always been an issue for me going back to the 1990s cartoon. I also would've liked to have seen Colossus, Rogue, and Kitty Pryde, even though I know that movies don't like having too many characters to deal with. Perhaps the Deadpool movies ruined Colossus for good, huh?

4. Mystique's death. I think it was handled very poorly. Sure, it served as motivation for both Hank and Erik, but I also think that it was ham-fisted and unnecessary. I also felt that Mystique's characterization contradicted a lot of her earlier established character, like she conveniently forgot her own actions over the last two X-Men movies.

5. Quicksilver was totally wasted. Come on, he was one of the best things about Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, and he gets taken out so early in the film and spends most of the movie in a hospital bed? And the plotline involving him and Magneto being father and son never gets resolved? Peter never tells Erik that he's his son? This breaks one of the fundamental rules of storytelling, Chekhov's Gun. If you show the audience a gun hanging on a wall in the first act, it must be fired by the final act or it shouldn't be there. Well, the filmmakers hung that gun on the wall back in Days of Future Past when Peter casually let Erik know that his mom knew a guy with the same powers he had, and then confirmed in Apocalypse that Peter knew that Erik was his father; information that Peter shared with Storm. And Dark Phoenix does nothing with this? Peter is hardly in the story at all?

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 06-19-2019 at 01:59 PM
Old 06-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

Alex what was the army's name? Cause if what I'm hearing is true then I'm surprised you didn't have that in what you didn't like list. As for Quicksilver? I think America Horror Story prevented Peters from filming the reshoots for Dark Phoenix.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I forgot Dazzler had a cameo, I liked seeing that. Wish she could of had more somehow.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
I forgot Dazzler had a cameo, I liked seeing that. Wish she could of had more somehow.
Yeah, me too. It was a shame that Alison never gets much attention anymore. Her character was kind of reflective 80s pop culture at the time she was created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Alex what was the army's name? Cause if what I'm hearing is true then I'm surprised you didn't have that in what you didn't like list. As for Quicksilver? I think America Horror Story prevented Peters from filming the reshoots for Dark Phoenix.
Yeah, yeah, I saw the damn army's name. MCU: Mutant Containment Unit. I have no idea if that was intentional or coincidental, but I wasn't particularly amused, which is why I didn't mention it. I'm too pissed at the MCU to find it funny.

Well, American Horror Story didn't prevent Evan from being in the previous two films, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, dragonfire. He's been in every damn season for the past eight years.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)

Yeah, yeah, I saw the damn army's name. MCU: Mutant Containment Unit. I have no idea if that was intentional or coincidental, but I wasn't particularly amused, which is why I didn't mention it. I'm too pissed at the MCU to find it funny.

Well, American Horror Story didn't prevent Evan from being in the previous two films, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, dragonfire. He's been in every damn season for the past eight years.
Well, I think the part where the X-Men rode the MCU train may have been intentional. Ok, but those previous films didn't have the Disney&Fox merger involved.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Dazzler was a boring character in the comics.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Losing Massive Amount of Theaters After Box Office Failure
Quote:
Fox-Disney’s Dark Phoenix is losing 1,667 theaters in its third week of release, Exhibitor Relations Co. reports.
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...rs-third-week/
Old 06-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I still would have liked to have seen Dazzler get more attention, sum1. She did have her own comic, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Well, I think the part where the X-Men rode the MCU train may have been intentional. Ok, but those previous films didn't have the Disney&Fox merger involved.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the director has to say about that, dragonfire. And I still don't see how that would affect Evan's availability for the movie.

Thanks for the link. But I think everyone is being way too hard on Dark Phoenix. It was no way as bad as what they're making it out to be, and it doesn't deserve all the criticism or commercial failure. If I were the suspicious type I'd almost think that Disney sabotaged it.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Moderator Support Team

i dont think its disney but i think people are being super harsh , i have read a lot of fans comments who have some issues with the movie but they say it isnt as bad as they say.

So i feel we should just watch and see if you like it or not ..
Old 06-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
i dont think its disney but i think people are being super harsh , i have read a lot of fans comments who have some issues with the movie but they say it isnt as bad as they say.

So i feel we should just watch and see if you like it or not ..
Thanks, Petra. That's exactly how I feel.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks, Petra. That's exactly how I feel.
I want to watch it.. but no one want s to watch it with me
Old 06-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
I want to watch it.. but no one want s to watch it with me
Awww, I'm sorry, Petra. I hope you get to watch it soon, and I hope you can get someone to watch with you.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks

so i watched it , (not the legal way )

TBH i enjoyed it . I felt the critics were very harsh , cause it wasnt that bad , certainly not the worse of these movies .

It was a good build up of jeans downfall . But they should of add it in a bit more in the other movies , they did a little bit but i felt they could of built it up more .

Charles i understand when you guys said that he went the wrong path and the "bad guy" which is true , this is the puppet charles , not my favourite version of him but i understood this need to break him down

Raven man i wished she didnt die , i wish she just left , she was a strong leader and her death was sad , poor hank . I like Raven questioning Charles and everything she was very smart to do so .

Love the introduction to Erik , Jean going to him to understand how to be good and stop killing people , i felt that is a great way to bring him back . Plus he wont judge , but how did she know where he would be???

i like the 2 sides to the mutants Erik hank and Charles and the rest a good split and the fight scene was done well . ( worst timing for mutants in general )

things that i didnt like was the sudden introduction to Aliens ?? that was odd they never mentioned them before and the character Smith . That story line was boring and didnt work well with the x-men path it was to odd but i guess they needed a way to explain what happen to Jean.

The end was nice and different i still try and see the connection with the original movies but i know they want to change it . Renaming the school after Jean was cute but i like the old name better .
Hank being the principle or running it made sense i like that change a lot . Erik & Charles game of chess was a nice way to end their story line and friendship i loved that bit a lot , than the little hint of the phoenix in the back was nice