Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

My optimism for the comics is on the longterm, on the scale of decades. Your optimism for the MCU is on the short term, the 2020s. I don't have any confidence the MCU will go the way you want that soon. More likely they'll go further along the path they're going on now. Whereas with the comics my confidence is about them righting themselves decades down the road. Also, I don't see how anything concerning legality is forcing the MCU (or Marvel comics) to be politically correct or not use characters such and Hank and Jan. I don't think absorbing Fox is going to change much beyond the X-Men and FF and Silver Surfer. I don't see that Disney has any motivation to be less politically correct in the movies -unlike in the comics, that's working fine for them in the movies. They'll get more that way, I think. I don't see how they have any motivation to be more faithfiul to the comics, either. They're having great commercial succcess with movies that go totally against the comics.

Last edited by sum1; 03-22-2019 at 11:50 AM
Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
My optimism for the comics is on the longterm, on the scale of decades. Your optimism for the MCU is on the short term, the 2020s. I don't have any confidence the MCU will go the way you want that soon. More likely they'll go further along the path they're going on now. Whereas with the comics my confidence is about them righting themselves decades down the road.
Do I seem like I wanna wait that long? Again, Hank Pym has been trapped inside Ultron and in the Soul Gem for four years and counting now. Not to mention all the other crap we've had to put up with as a result of the MCU. Marvel just wants the comics to be a promotional tool for the MCU now, so if the comics are gonna go back to where they were, it's gonna have to happen in the MCU first.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not necessarily. There are still many differences between the comics and the MCU. Things don't need to happen in the MCU to happen in the comics. And Hollywood won't be dominated by superhero movies forever. People are going to get tired of them and move on someday. The MCU has a limited shelf life.

As for waiting "that long", I'm not waiting at all. I'm just cetain the comics will come around some day and glad that it will happen. I don't have to be alive to see it. Just knowing it will happen is enough for me.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, but that's another thing that worries me, that audiences will grow tired of the genre before the characters get a proper treatment. I'd hold Marvel accountable if they ended up never having an Avengers movie with Hank and Janet in it, and most fans would consider it a dick move on their part. And I actually don't wanna just leave it up to faith that the comics will correct themselves even if I'm not around to see it, not with the kind of people who run the comics industry these days, which are not the same as the ones from the previous century.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

The same people won't always be running it. You've got to think on the longterm. Plus even those people allow the comics a certain amount of freedom. So much goes on in the comics that has no counterpart in the movies.

As for the possibility of the movies finishing without some characters getting their due, I long ago gave up on seeing what I want to see in the movies. My favorite non-mutant character is Hercules and no way is he going to get any significant attention in the films. Nor is Wolverine ever going to be done right. And they'll probably never get a Jewish actress to play Shadowcat. Shadowcat was the first open;y Jewish superhero ever, but do they bother casting a Jewish actor? Nooope. Kind of different from how they treated the Black Panther, eh?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I know you get really OCD about that, sum1. You're worse than I am in some of those areas.

Well, let's see what happens with this year's 'Infinity Wars.' If Hank is still stuck in Ultron and that damn Soul Gem after that then I seriously wanna send Kevin Feige an exploding meatball sub sandwich.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Yeah, I know you get really OCD about that, sum1. You're worse than I am in some of those areas.
It's not OCD to want Jewish characters to be cast with Jewish actors any more than it's OCD to want black characters to be cast with black actors.

Quote:
Well, let's see what happens with this year's 'Infinity Wars.' If Hank is still stuck in Ultron and that damn Soul Gem after that then I seriously wanna send Kevin Feige an exploding meatball sub sandwich.
Feige isn't in charge of that. And issuing threats to celebrities online can get you in a whole load of trouble.

Last edited by sum1; 03-23-2019 at 04:13 PM
Old 03-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It's not OCD to want Jewish characters to be cast with Jewish actors any more than it's OCD to want black characters to be cast with black actors.

Feige isn't in charge of that. And issuing threats to celebrities online can get you in a whole load of trouble.
I'm not pushing anything, I'm actually agreeing with you. I'm OCD when it comes to authenticity.

An exploding meatball sub won't do anything but get marinara sauce on him. It's a reference to a HIMYM episode. And Feige was responsible for compromising the MCU for Edgar Wright.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Feige isn't in charge of the comics.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

no matter what happens with MCU films, who owns or makes future Cosmic Universe films, who writes MEG Marvel comics, whether they go on or fold from lack of sales, or everything just implodes from the sheer weight of fatigue and disinterest, i will always have my 22 hi-def blu-rays of the stellar Marvel Cinematic Universe, and several awesome films of the XCU, namely XFC, DOFP, XMA, Logan, X2, and Wolverine (parts of it). i'm not hopeful of XDP.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 03-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Feige isn't in charge of the comics.
Yeah, but his decisions at Marvel Studios do have an effect on the comics, like the comics all of a sudden calling them "infinity stones" instead of infinity gems. And Hank Pym has been trapped inside Ultron since 2015, not by any coincidence the same year that Age of Ultron and Ant-Man came out. Marvel Comics is expected to be a promotional tool for the MCU now, not a separate branch, so Feige's decision to accommodate Edgar Wright has ultimately affected Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne in the comics. Otherwise, there would've been no reason to fuse Hank with Ultron(conveniently getting him out of the way) or introduce this "Nadia Pym" character who never existed before and is taking Janet's place as The Wasp, something that would not have happened were it not for Hope Van Dyne's existence in the MCU. So I do blame Feige for not being more responsible with how the MCU adapts the source material because it ends up affecting both the comics and animation, and Hank and Janet are getting screwed over.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

The comics are still very literally a separate branch and they're more than a just a promotional tool for the MCU.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

that's something.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
The comics are still very literally a separate branch and they're more than a just a promotional tool for the MCU.
Am I supposed to believe that Hank being trapped inside Ultron since 2015 and Janet getting sidelined for this "Nadia" character(Russian for Hope, which is no coincidence) has nothing to do with the MCU? Marvel wants to promote their movies, and if Hank and Janet were cut out of the movies because of Edgar Wright, then that's why they've been sidelined in the comics. Otherwise, what would even be the point of fusing Hank with Ultron or introducing this "Nadia" character? It's not like we needed another Wasp.

Anyway, I'm gonna wait and see what's gonna happen with this summer's Infinity Wars storyline in Marvel Comics. Ultron(fused with Hank) has all the Infinity Gems and we have to wait and see what he's gonna do with them, and the last we saw of Hank he was being swallowed by a dream monster inside the Soul World. So if yet another year goes by with Hank still trapped and out of the way, and Nadia is still around appropriating Janet's legacy(as Hope is doing in the MCU) I'll have my answer. If Marvel decides to finally get Hank the hell out of there and returns Janet to her main Wasp status, then our long national nightmare will finally be over. But as long as the MCU is still compromised by Edgar Wright's unnecessary contribution, I have my doubts.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Am I supposed to believe that Hank being trapped inside Ultron since 2015 and Janet getting sidelined for this "Nadia" character(Russian for Hope, which is no coincidence) has nothing to do with the MCU? Marvel wants to promote their movies, and if Hank and Janet were cut out of the movies because of Edgar Wright, then that's why they've been sidelined in the comics. Otherwise, what would even be the point of fusing Hank with Ultron or introducing this "Nadia" character? It's not like we needed another Wasp.
Saying the MCU influences the comics is very different from saying the comics are no longer a separate branch and that they're just a promotional tool for the MCU. I would think that would be obvious.