Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Yeah, if Marvel's PC was sincere they'd allow female and non-white characters to stand on their own, rather than making them ripoffs of white male characters. There are undoubtedly racists and sexists among comic fans, but you don't have to be racist or sexist to be bothered by classic characters being trashed. Instead of recognizing this, Marvel accuses fans of not liking diversity. If Marvel was sincere in its commitment to diversity it would change its tactics, create totally original new female and non-white characters and make them thrive. Instead they treat classic characters like they're roles rather than characters and take their identities, powers, etc and give them to female and non-white characters, which just sets up those characters to be hated by fans who miss their classic characters. It's as if Marvel is trying to screw up the implementation of diversity so they can say "We tried it, but it didn't work."
Man, I've been saying that for years, sum1. It's like Marvel blames the fans first and absolves themselves without admitting their own mistakes. How many non white characters do they have? Falcon, Power Man, War Machine, Storm, Black Panther, Sunspot, Bishop, etc. And how many underused characters do they have? Misty Knight is a character that is way underused, yet she could be great if they put her in more things. Same with Monica Rambeau(if they gave her an original name). They complain about diversity, yet they gave Jessica Jones her own show, but what about Misty? She's like the Bionic Woman of Marvel.

Oh, and what did you think about Joss Whedon's run on The Astonishing X-Men? Some critics said he improved on Cyclops in that series, but others think that it only made things worse.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Don't forget Blade.

Why would I want to read a 21st century series of X-Men comics being ruined by Joss Whedon?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh yeah, I forgot about Blade. I never was much into the supernatural heroes like Blade and Ghost Rider for some reason.

Okay, I was just wondering. I wanted to know if you had an opinion of what Joss did with Scott and Emma in that series.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ghost Rider was real popular in the earlier '90s (the Dan Ketch version), but his popularity waned as the decade wore on. I think they brought the recent version of Ghost Rider into the Agents of Shield show.

Blade in the comics is very different from Blade in the movies. I like the Blade movies. The best is the second one (Leonore Varela was great in it), but they're all good. I liked the tv show too. It had a great female vampire heroine called Krysta Starr, played by Jill Wagner. Jill did a damn good job, in a very straight-up, honest, unaffected way.

I don't like the idea of Emma being with the X-Men or with Scott. I don't like Emma, period.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think the whole Emma thing was a phase that the X-Men writers were going through. Again, the result of that New X-Men continuity in the 2000's. They've pretty much ditched it now. But they did sort of reference it in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, with how close Cyclops was with "Emma" in that movie.

I did get into the early Ghost Rider stuff from the 70's, but without Johnny Blaze I think the comic just didn't work. That's probably why the new Ghost Rider eventually had Blaze rejoin with the rider, only this time it wasn't Zarathos. Blade got good once he ditched Hannibal King and Frank Drake and went solo. That whole Rise of the Midnight Sons thing really didn't go far.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

The '90s Ghost Rider was a lot more effective and sinister, spooky, etc, than the '70s version. Even in demon form Johnny Blaze was too normal. That couldn't be said of the '90s Dan Ketch, who was very popular for about half the decade.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I do agree that they did make the Ghost Rider more effectively creepy, but again, they only ended up merging him back with Johnny Blaze by the end of the decade.

Ugh, I really need some news on Dark Phoenix. I wanna know how big Tye's role is.

Oh, and James will return in Westworld next Spring. That should be good.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I do agree that they did make the Ghost Rider more effectively creepy, but again, they only ended up merging him back with Johnny Blaze by the end of the decade.
It wasn't until 2001 that Blaze returned as Ghost Rider.

They've got a new Ghost Rider now, Robbie Reyes.

Last edited by sum1; 08-25-2017 at 04:23 AM
Old 08-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It wasn't until 2001 that Blaze returned as Ghost Rider.

They've got a new Ghost Rider now, Robbie Reyes.
Well that's still the end of the 90's, isn't it?

Of course, part of Marvel's "let's replace our white guys with ethnic guys" agenda. Thank goodness Cyclops didn't end up like that.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Well that's still the end of the 90's, isn't it?
Not so. The '90s ended on December 31, 1999. 2001 began on January 1, 2001, over a year later. Safely out of the '90s.

Quote:
Of course, part of Marvel's "let's replace our white guys with ethnic guys" agenda. Thank goodness Cyclops didn't end up like that.
No, he just ended up replaced by a young twerp.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Not so. The '90s ended on December 31, 1999. 2001 began on January 1, 2001, over a year later. Safely out of the '90s.

No, he just ended up replaced by a young twerp.
Yeah, but technically the 20th century didn't end until January 1st, 2001, as the year 2000 was the final year of the 20th century. All centuries and millennia begin with Year One.

Well, it's still Cyclops, just his younger version from the past.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Yeah, but technically the 20th century didn't end until January 1st, 2001, as the year 2000 was the final year of the 20th century. All centuries and millennia begin with Year One.
That's just a load of pedantic bull. I never had time for that sith around the time of the millennium and I don't have time for it now. Whatever about the century or millennium, the '90s ended at the turn of December 31 1999 and January 1 2000.

Quote:
Well, it's still Cyclops, just his younger version from the past.
Alternate past.

Last edited by sum1; 08-26-2017 at 05:19 PM
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
That's just a load of pedantic bull. I never had time for that sith around the time of the millennium and I don't have time for it now. Whatever about the century or millennium, the '90s ended at the turn of December 31 1999 and January 1 2000.

Alternate past.
Well, it's still accurate, sum1. There is no year zero. The calendar beings with 1AD, and the year before that is 1BC, so 1AD to 1000AD is the first millennium, 1001AD to 2000AD is the second, and 2001AD to 3000AD is the third.

But yeah, we still technically record our decades, in terms of history and pop culture, according to the second to last number: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's...

Yeah, I heard that it's now an alternate past. They didn't have to do that, but I guess the writers did that in order to trap them in the present day and prevent them from going home.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Accurate my ass. Load of pedantic bull.

They had to be from the alternate past, otherwise it'd up the present.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, after all... if you bring Scott, Jean, and the others from the past to the present day, then how could any of the stuff they did in between have happened? That's the reason why you can't travel into the future to meet your future self, because once you leave the present and travel to the future you're gone for however amount of time passes in between, and then reappear in the future having not aged a day. Is that Pedantic enough for you?