Old 07-16-2017, 05:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's cool that Tye is involved in another big movie
Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Glad he's doing other roles not to get type-casted
Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, Tye is in Spielberg's new film? Awesome! And he's got Dark Phoenix coming up, so he's on a roll.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

:imagines Tye rolling all around the place:
Old 08-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Again, you have a singular wit, sum1.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

dp
Old 08-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just finished the 2012 comic series Avengers vs X-Men. Most of it was horrible and the worst thing they did was totally destroy the character of Scott Summers. It's like the writers of series started out with the prime objective of making people hate Scott. It seems Marvel has spent much of this century trying to make Scott as hated as possible, so much so that they had to kill off the character and bring in a new teenage version from another reality.

Numerous other elements of the series seem crazy too. As a snapshot of where the Marvel universe was in 2012 it's bewildering. Doctor Strange, Wolverine, Spider Man, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the Thing are on the Avengers. Wtf? Not in my wildest dreams back in the '80s or '90s would I ever have predicted Marvel would ever put those characters on the team. The most emphatically don't belong on the team. That they were on it is a sign of how much Marvel has lost its way. Similarly, they have Wolverine fighting AGAINST the X-Men for the Avengers. I never thought I'd see the day. What a load of nonsense. It's bonkers. Marvel has gone haywire.

Oh yeah, and Namor the Submariner is an X-Man. Wtf? I suppose I should have expected that ever since they reinvented him as an X-mutant, but that whole business is bull.

The X-Men in general get a lot of vilification in this comic series. You're encouraged to root for the Avengers aganst them. I guess it reflects the way Marvel turned against the X-franchise because Fox held the rights to the movies. Back in my day, the X-Men and related groups/characters were the central part of Marvel's business. The Avengers were small fry beside them. Marvel has really gone wrong.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow, you just finished it now?

I agree, I hated what they did to Scott in that. But look at what they're doing to Captain America with this Secret Empire bull It's just par for the course for Marvel. And yeah, they really overplayed Namor's "first mutant" thing, even though Apocalypse was the first mutant.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Marvel didn't use to do this crap.

Actually Selene is supposed to be the first mutant now. 20,000 years old or something.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Selene? Really? Sure, why not?

No, Marvel used to respect their characters. But now Marvel is being run by a bunch of(forgive me, sum1) uber-progressive elitists who just wanna deconstruct their classic characters and ram PC down everyone's throats. Steve Rogers doesn't deserve that. And I have no idea what the hell Marvel is thinking with what they did with Cyclops.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Marvel needs new leadership and and new writers. Like not Brian Michael Bendis.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Yeah, Marvel needs new leadership and and new writers. Like not Brian Michael Bendis.
Oh god, Bendis. He's already messing up things to a ridiculous extreme. No one's buying Iron Man comics because no one cares about Ri Ri Williams. And Bendis got into trouble after a Miles Morales Spider-Man comic came out where Miles said that he didn't want to be seen as a "black" Spider-Man after the press found out his ethnicity during a fight where part of his costume was torn off. He said he just wanted to be "Spider-Man," and that set off a lot of criticism on Twitter, specifically from black readers who resented a white comic book writer trying to avoid touching on the subject that Miles is black. Many asked how can you not address the fact that Miles is a black superhero dealing with the issues that black people deal with? In his desire to be politically correct, Bendis only ended up offending the people he wanted to represent. It was reminiscent of O.J. Simpson's infamous quote, "I'm not black, I'm O.J.," which many African Americans did not take in a positive way.

Bendis has been annoying me for years now, as well as Dan Slott. I told you about that argument I got into with Slott on YouTube, right? I don't know if he still has a YouTube account, but we went back and forth a lot over his treatment of Peter Parker. And what they've done to Scott Summers is even worse. What did you think of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men title? It seemed like Whedon was trying to psychoanalyze Cyclops in that miniseries.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Dan Slott. Looks like a homeless guy. See here: Dan Slott - Comic Book DB

Yeah, many people posing at being politically correct reveal their prejudice when they're trying hardest to appear politically correct.

Joss Whedon. Did you ever read any of his "Season 8" Buffy comics? They were an insult to the show and pissed off lots of his fans.

Last edited by sum1; 08-19-2017 at 10:50 AM
Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I know what he looks like, sum1. He appears in his YouTube videos on his account. He looks like his last name implies. Dan Slob... I mean Slott. And he's a condescending prick most of the time. I'm glad you never got into a discussion with him because that would've led to some interesting places.

Oh, I think PC is totally ruining comics today, sum1. And Marvel's sales drop is proving it. Marvel's CEO had to explain why Marvel's sales have been sliding downward since 2015, and his exact words were, "fans didn't want diversity." No, we just don't want our classic characters getting fed over and replaced, moron.

No, I never read the Buffy comics, but I wasn't really too taken with Whedon's comic writing. I think he's better at TV and movies. He really raked Cyclops over the coals in Astonishing X-Men. Did you read that title? Oh, and Whedon is pretty much reshooting everything Zack Snyder did in Justice League, so I'm guessing they'll be nothing left of Snyder's version when he's done.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Oh, I think PC is totally ruining comics today, sum1. And Marvel's sales drop is proving it. Marvel's CEO had to explain why Marvel's sales have been sliding downward since 2015, and his exact words were, "fans didn't want diversity." No, we just don't want our classic characters getting fed over and replaced, moron.
Yeah, if Marvel's PC was sincere they'd allow female and non-white characters to stand on their own, rather than making them ripoffs of white male characters. There are undoubtedly racists and sexists among comic fans, but you don't have to be racist or sexist to be bothered by classic characters being trashed. Instead of recognizing this, Marvel accuses fans of not liking diversity. If Marvel was sincere in its commitment to diversity it would change its tactics, create totally original new female and non-white characters and make them thrive. Instead they treat classic characters like they're roles rather than characters and take their identities, powers, etc and give them to female and non-white characters, which just sets up those characters to be hated by fans who miss their classic characters. It's as if Marvel is trying to screw up the implementation of diversity so they can say "We tried it, but it didn't work."

Quote:
No, I never read the Buffy comics, but I wasn't really too taken with Whedon's comic writing. I think he's better at TV and movies. He really raked Cyclops over the coals in Astonishing X-Men. Did you read that title? Oh, and Whedon is pretty much reshooting everything Zack Snyder did in Justice League, so I'm guessing they'll be nothing left of Snyder's version when he's done.
Which pisses me off, because I like Snyder's style, with its drama, atmosphere and grandeur. It's much better than Whedon's shallow style. The only time Whedon achieved depth was on Buffy and that was because he had Sarah Michelle Gellar in the central role.