Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM
  #31
Angel Bo$$

 
we are not alone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 499,471
Yea well like I said haven't read comics
__________________
Sarah
[Wonder Woman] "is really one that I think needs to be out there"
"incredible manner of compassion and love, and hope for humaniy,
and I think we need a lot of that right now" [Chris Pine]
we are not alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 AM
  #32
Fan Forum Hero

 
sum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 78,302
There's still a blond monkey in your avie.
__________________
Avatar by Tar (Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson in Dredd)
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 AM
  #33
Angel Bo$$

 
we are not alone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 499,471
Yea well
__________________
Sarah
[Wonder Woman] "is really one that I think needs to be out there"
"incredible manner of compassion and love, and hope for humaniy,
and I think we need a lot of that right now" [Chris Pine]
we are not alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 PM
  #34
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 127,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
There's still a blond monkey in your avie.
Who???
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM
  #35
Fan Forum Hero

 
sum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 78,302
Joseph Morgan
__________________
Avatar by Tar (Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson in Dredd)
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 AM
  #36
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 127,550
Oh, Klaus. Yeah, a show I don't have much interest in, and isn't really on-topic here.

So, sum1, would you like to see the movies finally give Cyclops his palm trigger for his visor? I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the actors always reaching for the visor all the time. It limits Scott's mobility.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM
  #37
Angel Bo$$

 
we are not alone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 499,471
I just hope they honor Scott being the leader he's meant too
__________________
Sarah
[Wonder Woman] "is really one that I think needs to be out there"
"incredible manner of compassion and love, and hope for humaniy,
and I think we need a lot of that right now" [Chris Pine]
we are not alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:41 AM
  #38
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 127,550
Yeah, that's another annoying thing, how the movies never let Scott be the leader. I do hope that changes.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:53 AM
  #39
Angel Bo$$

 
we are not alone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 499,471
I hated that I had enough remembrance of the 90s animated and Evolution to remember that he was the leader which is why he's within my Top 3 favorite X-Men characters
__________________
Sarah
[Wonder Woman] "is really one that I think needs to be out there"
"incredible manner of compassion and love, and hope for humaniy,
and I think we need a lot of that right now" [Chris Pine]
we are not alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 AM
  #40
Fan Forum Hero

 
sum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 78,302
I just read an article purporting to list reasons why Cyclops is Marvel's most hated character. It seems they've really messed around with the character since I was reading X-Men comics in the '90s.

http://www.looper.com/49409/cyclops-...tm_content=181

Just more examples of how Marvel's gone wrong in the 21st century.

Alex, in there they say Scott "psychically cheated" on Jean with Emma Frost, with Frost coplaying as Phoenix, and Jean discovered them. Any idea what issue or year that was?
__________________
Avatar by Tar (Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson in Dredd)

Last edited by sum1; 03-17-2017 at 06:47 AM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 PM
  #41
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 127,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I just read an article purporting to list reasons why Cyclops is Marvel's most hated character. It seems they've really messed around with the character since I was reading X-Men comics in the '90s.

How Cyclops became the most hated character in Marvel

Just more examples of how Marvel's gone wrong in the 21st century.

Alex, in there they say Scott "psychically cheated" on Jean with Emma Frost, with Frost coplaying as Phoenix, and Jean discovered them. Any idea what issue or year that was?
See, this is part of what makes me upset at Marvel fans. I feel the same way with people who give Hank Pym a hard time. Same as with Scott Summers. The writers are the ones who messed around with their characters, and it's not fair to blame the characters. And as for Cyclops "psychically cheating" on Jean? Yeah, and what about Jean having all those stolen kisses with Wolverine and not even trying to tell him that it was not appropriate or pushing him away? How many times was Scott supposed to be made to feel like a cuckold before he decided he'd had enough? Besides, what happened with Scott and Emma was entirely in a telepathic realm and never actually happened. Scott and Emma never actually physically touched until after Jean had "died" again. And I think that this stuff started with the New X-Men title under Grant Morrison in the early 2000's after the first X-Men film came out. And of course, because the films marginalized Cyclops and made everything about Wolverine, the comics were expected to align themselves with the movies to prevent confusion, which is why I hate it when movies deviate from the comics.

I suspect this is why Marvel brought the teenage, time-displaced Scott and Jean(along with Bobby, Warren, and Hank) from the original team in the past into the present day, so they could start all over again with their characters since so much damage had already been done to them.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM
  #42
Fan Forum Hero

 
sum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 78,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
See, this is part of what makes me upset at Marvel fans. I feel the same way with people who give Hank Pym a hard time. Same as with Scott Summers. The writers are the ones who messed around with their characters, and it's not fair to blame the characters. And as for Cyclops "psychically cheating" on Jean? Yeah, and what about Jean having all those stolen kisses with Wolverine and not even trying to tell him that it was not appropriate or pushing him away? How many times was Scott supposed to be made to feel like a cuckold before he decided he'd had enough? Besides, what happened with Scott and Emma was entirely in a telepathic realm and never actually happened. Scott and Emma never actually physically touched until after Jean had "died" again. And I think that this stuff started with the New X-Men title under Grant Morrison in the early 2000's after the first X-Men film came out.
Yeah, the sith really hit the fan in Marvel Comics after the first X-Men movie came out. I identify that as the point when the Marvel I care about ended and the crap began. At least as regards the comics.

Thanks for the info. I suspected it was something like that. Since the first X-Men movie came out, Marvel Comics has been crapping all over Cyclops non-stop. Until they killed him and then I think even after that.

Quote:
And of course, because the films marginalized Cyclops and made everything about Wolverine, the comics were expected to align themselves with the movies to prevent confusion, which is why I hate it when movies deviate from the comics.
Well, Wolverine was by far the most popular X-Man for years before the movies came out, so the focus was not surprising. But I still don't think they should have turned Scott into just the smug guy who's in Wolverine's way. His death in X3 was done in such a way as to be downright insulting. Wolverine and Kitty Pryde are my favorite X-Men, but Scott's an old favorite and my favorite of the original X-Men and I don't like to see him done down. Some of it I think is because people often don't seem to like characters that are sombre and serious, like Jack in Lost and Bill in True Blood. They prefer the smug "rebels" like Sawyer and Eric Northman.

Quote:
I suspect this is why Marvel brought the teenage, time-displaced Scott and Jean(along with Bobby, Warren, and Hank) from the original team in the past into the present day, so they could start all over again with their characters since so much damage had already been done to them.
That's a cop-out on their part. They should bring back the original Cyclops and salvage the character. Some serious retconning and some good writing should do the trick.
__________________
Avatar by Tar (Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson in Dredd)
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 AM
  #43
Angel Bo$$

 
we are not alone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 499,471
Wished they did better with Warren/Angel
__________________
Sarah
[Wonder Woman] "is really one that I think needs to be out there"
"incredible manner of compassion and love, and hope for humaniy,
and I think we need a lot of that right now" [Chris Pine]
we are not alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM
  #44
Fan Forum Star

 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 127,550
I agree, Sarah. They didn't do well with Warren, either.

You're welcome, sum1. Yeah, this is why I dislike it when movies deviate too far from the comics, because that's when the comics go all to hell because someone expects them to align themselves with the movies so as not to confuse the masses with too many discrepancies. That's just bull

I get that Wolverine is the most popular character, but that ended up backfiring for them and Wolverine was on the receiving end of a backlash. One thing I can say about Joss Whedon, he made sure all of the Avengers got a chance to shine, not just Iron Man. Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow(okay, Hawkeye got shafted) all got their due... although Hank and Janet should've been there as Ant-Man/Giant-Man and The Wasp, but Joss had no choice in that area so I can't really blame him. But it wasn't necessary to make all the X-Men films "Wolverine" films guest starring the X-Men. Even Legends of Tomorrow does this better than the X-Men films do. And even if Wolverine is most popular, Scott and Jean are the protean X-Men! They're the two main characters, the team leaders, and the main couple! How can you diminish them like the movies did?

Well, I think Marvel has decided to go with the teen Scott and Jean, sum1. They've killed off present-day Scott after Secret Wars, and Jean's been dead so many times I've lost count. Like I said, I think they're trying to start all over again with teen Scott and Jean from the past being brought to the present day.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Christine Dettloff(cheekymonkey503). Rest In Peace, Dear Cheekymonkey. ~ Alex
PhoenixRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM
  #45
Fan Forum Hero

 
sum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 78,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
And even if Wolverine is most popular, Scott and Jean are the protean X-Men! They're the two main characters, the team leaders, and the main couple! How can you diminish them like the movies did?
They're two of the main characters, but they're not "the two main characters". A lot of other characters are as important or more so. Plus the X-Men went for many years without Scott and Jean on the team and even more with no sign of Jean. As for Jean being a team leader, all I can say is "Not in my day." That was Scott, Storm and, temporarily, Wolverine.
__________________
Avatar by Tar (Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson in Dredd)

Last edited by sum1; 03-19-2017 at 01:39 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2017.

Copyright © 1998-2017, Fan Forum.