Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

NFL AFC Championship - Jacksonville Jaguars vs. New England Patriots

Oh, you were just making fun of their names? For a minute I thought you had an issue with The X-Files. They've tackled Irish mythology on that show before.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well luckily I haven't seen those eps.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

NFL NFC Championship - Minnesota Vikings vs. Philadelphia Eagles
Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't like Vikings. They raided Ireland. We taught them a lesson or two, though.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The Big Bang Theory

Not from what I read. There's a reason you have so many blonde Irish.

If it's any consolation, the Eagles beat the Vikings 38-7. A blowout.

What, no comments about weird American football team names?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:03 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Well, The Vikings franchise as a whole has lost more playoff games I think than any other in NFL history & never won a Super Bowl, but I do wish they would've been more competitive yesterday. Oh well.

Did you see the series premier of ''Black Lighting''? I watched it yesterday. It was pretty enjoyable.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I can sympathize with the Vikings fans because the Eagles and the Vikings have had similar postseason disappointment, and neither team has ever won a Super Bowl.

No, I haven't watched Black Lightning. The CW shows have been disappointing me of late.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:32 PM

Oh. Well I think this 1 is worth a shot based on the Pilot, but we'll have to see how it goes of course.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Not from what I read. There's a reason you have so many blonde Irish.
And it's got nothing to do with Vikings. The vast majority of the Irish genome goes back thousands of years in the country, long before the Vikings. The Scandinvians aren't the only people in Northern Europe to have blond hair. There were never that many Vikings in Ireland and the ones that there were got eventually defeated or absorbed, subjected to Irish power.

You obviously haven't read about how Irish High King Mael Sechnaill countered the Norse raids by drowning the Norse leader Thorgest in Lough Owel, or how the people of Osraige (a southern Irish kingdom) beat the crap out of the Vikings repeatedly. By the time of Brian Boru, around 1000 AD, the Vikings had been largely absorbed into Irish polity and in the battle of Clontarf in 1014 Brian Boru had his own Viking allies when fighting against the Leinstermen (southeastern Irish) and the Vikings of Dublin. Major Viking figures died in that battle, ending various Viking hopes for domination in the so-called British Isles.

Last edited by sum1; 01-22-2018 at 09:01 PM
Old 01-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Master Fan

The Resident (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb
Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Oh. Well I think this 1 is worth a shot based on the Pilot, but we'll have to see how it goes of course.
Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the history lesson, sum1. I was being facetious about the blonde hair. I know about the Anglo-Saxons beating back the Vikings during the time of King Harald Hardrada of Norway, but I had read that many of he Irish towns and cities had Viking design and architecture during their occupation. I read some stuff about the battles between the Irish and the Vikings, but mostly the Viking/Anglo-Saxon stuff. And yes, the Vikings got absorbed into the population of every country they settled in because they didn't have any centralized power structure like Rome did. The Normans were Viking descendants from northern France.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Master Fan

Iron Man 2 (2010) - IMDb
Old 01-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Iron Man 2, the one tolerable Iron Man movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks for the history lesson, sum1. I was being facetious about the blonde hair. I know about the Anglo-Saxons beating back the Vikings during the time of King Harald Hardrada of Norway, but I had read that many of he Irish towns and cities had Viking design and architecture during their occupation. I read some stuff about the battles between the Irish and the Vikings, but mostly the Viking/Anglo-Saxon stuff. And yes, the Vikings got absorbed into the population of every country they settled in because they didn't have any centralized power structure like Rome did. The Normans were Viking descendants from northern France.
I know what the Normans were. They were also of French blood as well. The Vikings in Normandy married Frenchwomen. Ireland didn't have cities in Dark Age times, so the Vikings founded Ireland's cities, but those were taken over by the Irish and by the British invaders. In England, the English had many conflicts with the Vikings and at different times different groups were the winners. The biggest Viking influx into England was in King Alfred the Great's time and he and his children defeated them, but a large area of England was left under the control of Vikings who owed ultimate allegiance to the English king. In Ireland, the Vikings made much less headway and were absorbed better.

Last edited by sum1; 01-24-2018 at 03:21 PM
Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 PM

I watched ''War of the Planet of the Apes'' today. It was pretty good I thought. More violence than I was expecting. Apes can speak English & use guns. 1 of the was named ''Bad Ape''. Worth the watch I thought. Woody Harrelson was terrific as the anti-hero.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've never had an interest in that franchise.