Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Where are the people supposed to go on that plane?
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchie (View Post)
I came into off topic to see if there was a thread for transportation, and lo and behold! *U* I looove love love airplanes, and really transportation in general, but flight is my favorite. (So much of a favorite, that I'm going to be a pilot.)
Glad you found the transportation thread! I hope you become a regular in this thread! Congrats on choosing to become a pilot!

^ Across the Atlantic Ocean! It's top speed was supposed to be Mach 2.8, 300 foot long answer to the European Concorde in supersonic passenger flight.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

But that's sort of insane, isn't it?

I remember seeing an interview with Ewan McGregor (years and year ago) where he was talking about his brother, who is/was an RAF pilot by profession, taking him for "a lap of Scotland," which took something like 90 minutes. And what I remember specifically, is Mr McGregor talking about how something about the speed at which they were going caused him to quite literally toss his cookies.

Now, I don't know much about Ewan McGregor's personal life (which is fine by me), but I do know he's a bit of an adrenaline junkie. He loves his motorbike rides. I believe he's done sky-diving as well... If that guy tosses his cookies from going Mach I don't know, but probably not that high, in a plane, surely having a crowd of people going that fast (and possibly faster) was a terrible idea from the getgo.

Also, I meant "where are you seating the people on that plane," but good to know it was meant to be cross-Atlantic. I hadn't even thought of wondering about that.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I didn't know about Ewan McGregor brother being a RAF pilot, awesome!

Here is the 2707's cabin!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

He is (or at least was, he might be retired now) an RAF pilot.

And no wonder that plane was never built. Imagine spending all of that money to build something that can only transport, what? About 30-40 people at a time, not counting the crew? Talk about niche markets.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, the plane (and the Lockheed L-2000) was a political project for national prestige because otherwise the plane would have been an economic and technical disaster.

Issues included variable geometry nose and wings, complicated landing gear, expensive to build (titanium construction) and maintain (very high costs and on the ground all the time), severe aerodynamic heating in flight, sonic booms, extreme noise, high fuel consumption, very loud engines, cramped interior, limited markets, no overland supersonic flights, poor range, and limited air frame life.

Here are mockups on the 2707, 2707-300, and L-2000!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, it is a gorgeous plane. Very unusual, which I like.

It's kind of a shame that they couldn't work out a most cost-effective version of it.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

It reminds me of a crow or some other type of bird, the nose really does look like a beak.

Like a bird in the sky, if I believed I could fly, why, I'd fly!
thesketchqueen everywhere else on the internet, chase in the real world.
tumblr . deviantArt . instagram . bandcamp . art thread
sketchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It sure does look like a bird, it even has the legs like one too!

Monarch called it quits 5 days ago, I winder what the future of charter airlines will be?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

The future of commercial airlines is looking like monopoly to me. In my lifetime, there's been mergers upon mergers upon mergers. I wouldn't be surprised if, like in the beverage industry, the future of commercial airlines was two companies controlling the industry.

To be honest, I have no idea what happened with Monarch. I've seen the headlines, but I hadn't ever heard of the company before, so I would have a hard time discussing even which territory was concerned.

At this point, though, I would not be surprised if Monarch was pushed out of business by convergence/monopoly.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Just like here in the US. In here thanks to our corporate culture we get three giant legacy airlines, American, Delta, and United. with Northwest, Continental, and US Airways gobbled up in a span of a few years.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I'm back! The flying was awesome as always. But Air Canada didn't have the best food, in fact it was pretty awful. But the actual flight was fine. My seat was by the wing both ways, didn't matter so much on the way back 'cause we went at night - first time flying at night and sleeping on a plane!

My mum flew on the Concord once years ago. I would have loved to fly on Concord.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wonder why they retired the Concord? Too much money? It would be great to travel to Europe way faster than what it is right now!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it was a few things. It was expensive luxury travel that was hard for people to afford, it also couldn't carry as many passengers as the jumbo jets, it was old technology, and it also had a public bad accident on take off in Paris. There are probably other things too, but yes it's sad it's gone.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think the Concord was also a catastrophe, environmentally speaking.
Reply   Post New Thread