Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Tanning Lovers #1: We're All Golden Brown and Lovin' It!

I didn't see a thread for this here so I wanted to start one. I hope that's okay?

If you tan indoors or outdoors this is the place for you. Do you have a favorite lotion, do you even use tanning lotions, do you fake bake (self-tanners), are you addicted? Have any questions you want answered?

Rules
- If you don't agree with tanning, it's best you don't preach here. I'm sure we've all heard all the warnings and we don't need to hear them again. Thank you.

The beautiful, Shiri Appleby.
Icon - evangelin
Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Master Fan

Cool idea

I don't really use lotions to tan because most of the time it turns orange on my skin

I do like the new Dove creme with a bit of summer glow, it tans your skin a little bit
Nele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks.

And I'm the same, most fake bake lotions turn me orange and I get horribly blotchy. I almost look like Lindsay Lohan.

I got really dark like two years ago but I stopped tanning. I just started back up again. I've went three times now, my chest and upper stomach got pink, not red, the second time I went tanning and faded before I went tanning two days later. I got a star tattoo sticker and I can see a change in color already which makes me very excited. I love how defined you look with a nice golden color so I'm very impatient. *grin*

I don't have any tanning lotions yet. I live in a small town and the salon I go to only sells a few expensive samples in a vending machine. I've researched and found two different lotions (Halo and Brown Envy) I want and I'm going to have to order them on the internet. I need to get a good moisturizer as well and I've heard Hempz Herbal Moisturizer is awesome.

Icon - evangelin
Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

Well I don't really get a tan from laying in the sun I just burn get all red and then white again... my skin is really really pale

Dove summer glow I heard Dove is really expensive in some countries but here it only costs around € 5 for a bottle
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't lay out in the sun either, I'll get some color but I'll burn mostly. With tanning beds I can control the amount of 'rays' I take in and build a base tan so when I do lay out in the natural sun, I don't burn at all.

I haven't tried Dove Summer Glow but I've heard it's good stuff. I've used Loreal Sublime Glow lotion and that stuff works pretty good.

Icon - evangelin
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow...I use "Johnson and Johnson" and I found this

Quote:
Trade Practices – Tanning lotion: the difficulties with comparative advertising

In brief: Another case has demonstrated the care that must be taken with comparative advertising, this time in respect of tanning lotions: Johnson & Johnson Pacific Pty Limited v Unilever Australia Limited (No 2) [2006] FCA 1646.

By David L Yates, Senior Associate

Johnson & Johnson created a new product called 'JOHNSON'S HOLIDAY SKIN BODY LOTION' which worked as both a moisturiser and a tanning lotion. The product became very successful. Unilever launched a competing product, 'DOVE SUMMER GLOW BODY LOTION', in March 2006. Unilever's advertising and promotion for its new product was based upon a comparison between its product and the Johnson & Johnson product. That comparison was said to be supported by market research that established that users of 'HOLIDAY SKIN' preferred 'SUMMER GLOW'. Johnson & Johnson alleged that, in advertising its product in this way, Unilever engaged in conduct that contravened s52 of the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth). Johnson & Johnson applied for, and was granted, interlocutory orders restraining Unilever from advertising 'SUMMER GLOW' in this manner. The proceedings then came before the court for a final determination.

The case primarily concerned Unilever's television and print advertisements. Johnson & Johnson alleged that the representations in each advertisement included: that seven out of 10 users of 'HOLIDAY SKIN' preferred 'SUMMER GLOW' to 'HOLIDAY SKIN' for its tanning attributes; and, that 'SUMMER GLOW' is the best tanning body lotion available. Johnson & Johnson complained that the study did not justify the representations because:

* at face value, the study did not show that seven out of 10 users preferred 'SUMMER GLOW' to 'HOLIDAY SKIN' for its tanning attributes;
* the study only tested the respective Dove and Johnson light variants; and
* deficiencies inherent in the study methodology meant that no general preference claim was justified.

The court upheld Johnson & Johnson's complaint and found that each of the representations was misleading and deceptive. The case provides a useful discussion of the nature and scope of representations that may be made on the basis of a study comparing limited product variants among a specific participant age bracket, and on what can be said about quantitative results of participants' responses.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ That's very interesting.

I'm going tanning today. I can't wait. It'll be my fourth session.

Icon - evangelin
Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is it the machine tanning I don't like the idea of that...I've heard bad news about them
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, it's tanning bed. I always say it's dangerous to walk across a street too.

Icon - evangelin
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

i think i'm going to bronzage on monday! it'll be my first time ever so it should be interesting. i really want to get tanned i hate hate hate being pale.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey welcome to the thread, girltalk. I've never used a bronzer before. I'm still working on getting my base tan. Then I plan on trying that stuff. The idea of using a 'tingle' freaks me out a bit.

Icon - evangelin
Old 05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

thanks! using a tingle?? i'm a bit nervous to go tanning, i'm scared something will go horribly wrong and i'll get scarily burnt. haha i just have to pray that that doesn't happen (though, it probably won't )
Old 05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It won't happen if you researched well. I went 5 minutes my first time and I didn't get burnt at all. Just go slowly and don't rush it. My biggest problem is being impatient.

Icon - evangelin
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Master Fan

Yes I think 5 minutes is good to start with, not longer if it's your first time

I did 3 sessions last year because if I don't have a little tan I get sunburned too quickly
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm tanning to get my base tan. I've gone five times now and I'm only at 6 minutes but if I go over that I get red instead of a little pink in the chest area but I am getting some good color. I even put my legs in the bed longer than the rest of me since they are the hardest to tan and don't burn easily.

Icon - evangelin
Reply   Post New Thread