Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2018, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't see the last few days, so no idea what it was like out there.

Kim
Old 09-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't look or go out all weekend. Apparently, it was rainy. But I couldn't tell you.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Same for me today. We did have a bad thunderstorm in the middle of the night last night, that I wasn't expecting.

Kim
Old 09-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think we're supposed to have thunderstorms overnight here and the weather's definitely heading that way, but we'll see...

Today, it was 32C (90F), but it felt like 42C (108F) with the humidity. So, any normal city, that means a storm.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

well, my Summer Of Rain [83inches 7/12-9/10] has ended with this ^ monster! i'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's where I used to live.

We live in the mountains, well inland in NC, and we're still going to get hammered. Not anything like the devastation at the coasts of SC, NC, VA, and probably more northward.

If they tell you to evacuate, please do. The latest is she may be a Category 5 when she hits, now.

Kim
Old 09-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

And, as we know from Katrina, Maria, Harvey, Sandy and however many others, the damage doesn't always happen immediately when the hurricane hits.

Everybody stay safe, including you, Kim.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

i'm in the Zone C area of Va Beach, my street sitting at 16-19 feet above sea level. Zone A houses at 6 ft or less, had a mandatory evacuation today, and they're considering Zone B areas up to 12 ft for evacuation. i've been in Virginia for a number of years now, following my four years in the US Navy, and i have never seen mandatory evacuations here!

Old 09-12-2018, 02:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I will, for sure, Sunny.

Dave (I hope that's your name in your signature ) I never saw evacuations there, either. I only went through Isabel there, which caused a lot of damage, even at only Category one.

Stay safe. I'm glad you're so far above sea level. You're not around any of the many lakes they have around the developments, are you?

Kim
Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah i'm Dave i'm right between Lake James and Lake Christopher, but the spot my part of the city is in, is about 16-19ft above sea level, and not in the Zone A and B floodzones. there are tons of trees though, and back in 2003 where i lived during Hurricane Isabel, there were no trees. ironic, no?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I saw something online from people who have had to evacuate due to hurricanes in the past and they had some advice: take pictures of every angle of every room and of the contents of every drawer. God forbid you have to put in an insurance claim, pictures are as good receipt.

And this one, which I thought was genius: if you have any valuables you can't take with you for whatever reason, put them in your diswasher. It's water-tight.

Obviously, I hope it doesn't come to that for any of you. But I did think it was good advice.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
yeah i'm Dave i'm right between Lake James and Lake Christopher, but the spot my part of the city is in, is about 16-19ft above sea level, and not in the Zone A and B floodzones. there are tons of trees though, and back in 2003 where i lived during Hurricane Isabel, there were no trees. ironic, no?
Good to know you're that high up. During Isabel, we had several pear trees, and found out they don't hold up to high winds. Same with privacy fences. They all come down easy.

Sunny, great advice. Even when we stayed during Isabel, lots of small stuff put in the dishwasher, as well as having taken a lot of pictures. Definitely important.

So, I hate that I wished worse weather on anyone else, but, Florence has taken a big swing to the South, in the forecast. Not sure about the winds, but, we'll see. The good thing is, only about 5 inches of rain predicted for us now. Still a lot, especially considering the amounts of rain we've already had this year, but all good signs.

Also, she's been downgraded to a category 2. On the downside of that, a lot of people are now to going to say (again) that a hurricane was over hyped, we prepared and evacuated. yet again, for very little. So, next time, they'll stay.

Kim
Old 09-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

I haven't seen the news today. I hope its landfall wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Lots of flooding near the coast-the wind is pushing the water upstream. I guess a lot of places weren't ready for that part. Over 200 have already been rescued, with about 100 more to go. The mayor in one of the towns is probably going to have to be evacuated.

I guess we'll see what comes here, and when it gets here. The forecast keeps changing.

ETA-I forced myself to listen to the radio station in town. It will be here Sun-Mon, and possibly into Tuesday. They're not making estimates on rain and wind yet.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 09-14-2018 at 09:46 AM
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's good to be aware, but try to not let the anxiety get to you, okay? I mean, I know some anxiety is inevitable. But take care of yourself.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread