Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Save That Show.com has a new important feature!

Quote:
Save That Show.com now makes it easy for you to write an actual paper and envelope letter to a network of your choice by providing a simple form for you to fill out. Just click on the network of your choice below and you will be taken to a form that will let you write about a particular new show or just to the network in general (General Comments). When You Click the "CLICK HERE to send my letter" button a letter will be mailed for you within 24 hours.
[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Click here for the "Something To Say" feature [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

Unlike us, they can send enveloped letters in to the network and The WB will actually accept it! This is just what the campaign needs so, please participate!!

[ 11-26-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 11-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay, so I have some not-so-positive "news" [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. Information that I've actually sat on for a few days to wait for confirmation that it was true and also for any positive reports to balance it out. Well, this is what I got...

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] The Toronto Star News ran a classified ad for a Tarzan set sale on Nov. 21 and 22. Sets have been "struck" (taken down) and some props have been sold. And according to information that RaffertyRulz got from the Tarzan Production office, the Accounting Office is the only department open right now and they're currently in the process of shutting that down.

This, is very obviously the bad.

Now for the glimmer of hope...

The sets being "struck" could very well mean that they have simply been put into storage, which makes sense since even if they do decide to go back into production, the earliest they could do so would be after the holidays sometime in the new year. This could also explain the production office shutting down. I mean, production has stopped so that would make sense that the office is closing. This doesn't mean that it can't be re-opened however and, in fact, calls made in the last few days to The WB have resulted in responses that still claim the official status of the show is that it's on hiatus and that it could be brought back at any time if the decision was made to do so. Oh and as for the props that were sold in the set sale (ie: things from John's childhood room), well they might just have been things that they wouldn't be using again. Apparently set sales are not an uncommon thing even with shows that are still in production and plan to be for some time.

Anyway, as the days go on you may find that your hope (and therefore your campaign efforts) are dwindling, but it's important to remember that The WB still has yet to make an official statement saying the show is cancelled. And there has to be a reason for that. Yes, there's the possibility they are just trying to save face BUT, then again, maybe they really are still deciding its fate. Since we can't know for sure, I say that we keep at it! Send in those postcards, bombared their inboxes, clog up the feedback forms, make a call to the Viewer Comment line every now and then, just don't give up!! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 11-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have written a final plea to the WB in my verbose style for saving Tarzan from the scrap heap. I will be sending it out as soon as I can. A holiday weekend isn't exactly the best time to go to the post office, so I've put it off until this week. I had to change my desired font because the letter wouldn't all fit on the post card the way I had it. I have done my best to let my feelings be known. You can be assured that if they are putting reality shows in the timeslot, I won't be watching, unfortunately others will flock to the shlock. Fingers, toes, legs, whatever I can cross, I have crossed. I'm hoping for the best preparing for the worst. I've really enjoyed the last few weeks with my fellow Tarzan fans, and I really hope we have a reason to continue. It's nice to find other passionate fans. If only I hadn't taped over the pilot episode!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Extreme Fan

Follow-up: Cinescape responds

Quote:
Too much monkey business
TARZAN inquiry yields tremendous return

Dateline: Monday, December 1, 2003
By: ANDREW HERSHBERGER

Greetings Cinescapers! Last week I asked if TARZAN the television show should be saved and let me tell you the response was overwhelming. Why in the first two days alone I had received more e-mails regarding this matter then for any other TV Wasteland inquiry. I was simply amazed at how many readers came to the call for this show. Amazed, that is, till I realized that most of these pro-TARZAN e-mails were not from readers of TV Wasteland, but from fans who had gotten my e-mail off of various save TARZAN websites.

A few genuine readers of TV Wasteland did respond, but the general attitude was a little less then positive. Many wished the show cancelled outright, while one reader, Rick, asked if I could "provide a link where we could plead with the WB not only to keep TARZAN on hiatus but also, in the name of mercy, destroy the masters of all 8 episodes?" So in all fairness to Rick and the other non-TARZAN fans, if you have such a link, could you please e-mail it to me at TVWasteland@cinescape.com? I will post it next week.

Next week I will give you the results of the TARZAN poll, counting all the votes regardless of readership, and I’ll tell you again that TARZAN is getting tremendous support. Many viewers flat out declare the show one of the best things to hit television, while others went a little overboard and stated that the show has improved their love life and cured them of male pattern baldness. One other thing, some of those lending support apparently thought I was a program planner and pleaded with me to not take the show off the air. While I am delusional, I do not wield such power … yet.

After all that TARZAN talk I need a stiff drink.
[ 12-01-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 12-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ne-fehr-ious

You can be assured that if they are putting reality shows in the timeslot, I won't be watching, unfortunately others will flock to the shlock. Fingers, toes, legs, whatever I can cross, I have crossed. I'm hoping for the best preparing for the worst. I've really enjoyed the last few weeks with my fellow Tarzan fans, and I really hope we have a reason to continue. It's nice to find other passionate fans.
I just wanted say "Ditto" to this (I wish I had even half of your eloquence! [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] ) and also "Thank you so much for your efforts!" [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]. I really do still have hope that they will pay off for us [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]. Oh and about your final plea, you could always send it through the "Something to Say" feature from Save That Show.com. (And even if you've already sent it via a postcard you could send again this way [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]).

ETA: There have been recent reports (from unreliable sources however) claiming that The WB will be airing repeats of the show. I wouldn't hold your breath for this but, hey, it's something [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. And I would offer to make you a copy from my tape but, during the fight between Jane and Creale (sp?) my VCR just up and shut off [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]. However if you wouldn't mind a few missing seconds and a good but not high-quality copy, I could certainly try and get it for you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 12-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Extreme Fan

The campaign makes news again!!

Quote:
FIMMEL CAUSES TARZAN FUROR
December 3, 2003
Riverine Herald (Austraila)

Former Bamawm resident Travis Fimmel, aka Tarzan, is causing hysteria in the United States. News that the series "Tarzan" had been put on "hiatus" because of the lack of ratings after eight episodes has triggered a campaign by fan base Team Tarzan to keep the series going. There have been more than 30,000 messages posted on the Warner Brothers website discussion board and more than 10 Tarzan fan sites and message boards have been inundated with more words of disappointment.
The Riverine Herald has also received several emails appealing for help. The emails and website messages have been filled with admiration for the 24-year-old, with messages such as "he has captured the hearts of many of us, and we want him to come back," "we love Travis and we love Travis as Tarzan", "for two months Sunday was actually a day to look forward to, but now it's just another day".
You can send them your thanks by e-mailing them here --> riv@echuca.net.au

In other news, Wayne Brady plugged Tarzan on his show today. One of his guests was a young girl who had won a yodelling contest and Wayne made a reference to Tarzan (I'm sure most of you know about Tarzan's crazy yodel yell thing from the other incarnations of the ERB hero). Anyway, right after making the connection he turned towards the audience and said "Sundays on The WB". It was pretty cute [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

You can send him your thanks and then request that he have Travis, Sarah and/or the rest of the cast on his show by going to "Request A Quest".

ETA: more updates!!

Fans are now flocking to the "Holidays on The WB" feedback section and asking (well, begging really) that they air repeats of the show. From what we can tell there are a few empty spots for the Sunday @ 9pm timeslot coming up and of course we want to convince The WB to at least consider Tarzan repeats as an option to fill them.

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 12-04-2003, 03:18 AM
New Fan

That article was so encouraging!! I was wondering if all the emailing and posting I did would count. Yay!!!
Kinda reminds me of the glory days of Roswell [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm torturing myself!!

I have other shows on the tapes I used for Tarzan, and I've been watching those shows to catch up with those series. I'll be fine, and then I'll hit a patch of Tarzan, and I'll have to watch. I can't pull myself away from it. I am now convinced I must try to draw a sketch of Travis. I only do this for total obsessions lately, and he qualifies right now. It's not fair to thrust him into my view for 8 weeks and then take him away. At the very least, wean me off slowly, cold turkey will kill me.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Extreme Fan

A "press release" written by RaffertyRulz...

Quote:
"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Fans of Tarzan and TheWB make an unlikely team.

In an effort to convince Warner Bros Television to renew their original series Tarzan, fans of the show have been sending in stuffed animals with the slogan, "It’s a jungle out here, I need Tarzan!"

It’s their hope to dramatically demonstrate to the network executives that Tarzan is a show that is dearly loved by fans nationwide; and at the same time, once the point is made to the network executives, that the toys will be given to needy children.

As fate would have it, TheWB is a corporate supporter of Toys for Tots. Once the stuff animals are given to the designee; they are then collected in a centralized location to be donated at a later date.

The fate of Tarzan rests solely in the hands of TheWB. BUT the generosity of the fans, together with the corporate might of TheWB, will bring a brighter Christmas for thousands of children."
For more information visit the campaign website.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Extreme Fan

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] As you may have noticed, the Tarzan WB show page now redirects to the WB main site. But don't worry, the pages haven't been deleted! You can still access the episode pages and galleries here.

The campaign continues to make news...

From Broadcasting & Cable:

Quote:
Executives at The WB were surprised last week to find their offices deluged with baskets of bananas, including notes printed with the slogan "I am crazy for Tarzan".

Although the Warner Bros.-produced show apparently has a devoted fan base, the program is a ratings bust and is going off the air now that November sweeps are over. Tarzan fans have set up several Web sites to lobby for the show’s survival, including tarzantheseries.com, www.cinescape.com and savetarzan.withtheprettiness.net. The WB hasn’t totally written the show off yet, but production on the Toronto-based set has been shut down.
From Mansfield Journal:

* The following is an excerpt. For the full article click on the above link.

Quote:
Clear! Fans of the WB's "Tarzan" are trying to resuscitate the show. After last week's column announcing the possible cancellation of this freshman drama, I was inundated by e-mails from fans, prompting this special edition of TV Turn-Ons to inform readers about the campaign to save this modern-day retelling of a classic tale.

A group called Team Tarzan is bombarding the WB with messages to save their show. Stuffed animals, plants and fruit baskets have been sent to WB officials, according to e-mails and Web sites.

This strategy has been known to work. The WB's "Roswell" was saved from the cutting-room floor after fans sent thousands of Tabasco sauce bottles to the network, showing officials there the show's loyal fan base. Although it was canceled the next year, "Roswell" was picked up by UPN for another season."
From Cinescape:

Quote:
"Greetings Cinescapers! I’ve got to come clean and say right of the bat that there have been too many replies to the save TARZAN inquiry for me to give results this week. As of right now I have received over 300 e-mails about the show and since I am a one man operation whose wife/secretary left him for the Domino’s pizza boy (he delivers for over 30 minutes) I’m short on the manpower to stay true to my schedule. However I do have preliminary results, so you should all be excited. That is of course excluding those of you who have begged and pleaded with me in your e-mails to stop this TARZAN nonsense. To those readers (Frank, Tom and Dr. Love) I apologize.

Out of the 171 responses that I have had a chance to review 28 were duplicate votes (sorry can’t vote more then once), three were from viewers aghast that such a travesty could appear on television and 140 were from loyal TARZAN fans wishing that show would continue on.

One interesting thing with this TARZAN campaign is the tactics used by the fans to save the show. Baskets of fruit and stuffed animals are being sent to the WB executives pleading with them to keep the show alive. One reader suggested that there should be a kill to save TARZAN revolution. That reader has had their e-mail forwarded to the proper authorities."
[ 12-12-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 12-12-2003, 09:40 PM
MgA
New Fan

OH NO [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I just read that Tarzan has officially been cancelled, is this true?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Extreme Fan

The answer to that question now is... "seems likely" [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img].

The ever reliable Rafferty Rulz reported earlier tonight that The WB has now informed the producers that the show has been cancelled. The source from Tarzan productions also told Rafferty to please let the fans know that all our efforts to save the show was greatly appreciated.

Seeming to back up this report is a quote from Levin that just recently (yesterday I believe) appeared in Entertainment Weekly...

Quote:
The ballyhooed Tarzan swung in for a decent debut before falling to No. 112. "It's very hard to predict higher-concept shows," says The WB co-CEO Jordan Levin. "It was well executed, but it wasn't embraced beyond a core group of fans who still call my office and flood our website asking why we couldn't continue it."
*sniff* [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]

Well guys, not to state the obvious but, it's looking pretty bleak. I don't want to say that hope is completely gone however because it's still just one report. If this truly is The WB's final decsion then we should be given more substantial verification in the coming days. Now, here's the thing though, whether that happens or not the campaign will still go on. Efforts will simply be re-directed towards UPN and other stations, encouraging them to pick-up the show. From what I understand, UPN is the best bet and is where the majority of the efforts are and should be directed but I will look into what other possibilities are being considered as soon as I can tomorrow.

For now, here's the UPN contact information...

United Paramount Network
11800 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Dawn Ostroff - President, UPN Entertainment
Laurie Zaks - SVP, Current Programs
Maggie Murphy - SVP, Drama Development

Phone: 310-575-7000
Fax: 310-575-7220
E-mail: feedback@upn.com

I just wanted to finish by saying "hang in there, guys!" One way or another it looks like we will be getting answers soon. I know some of us invested a lot of ourselves in this show/campaign and it's important to know that it was NOT in vain. Our efforts were not only noticed but greatly appreciated by the cast, crew and yes, even The WB.

Above all I really hope that everyone is enjoying the holidays and won't let this news get them get down for too long. Remember that old saying, "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"? Well, I think that it's quite appropriate at this time. Whatever the outcome, we still had eight memorable episodes and that, well, that can't be taken away from us [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img].

[ 12-17-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 12-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Does anyone happen to know an e-mail address for UPN??

I will ALWAYS choose you.
Remember, you'll wait for me here, right?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Oops! I knew I had left something out! [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

Here you go, their e-mail address is simply feedback@upn.com [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited ~*Ambrosia*~ ]
Old 12-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Do you happen to know what the viewership of the final episode was?

I will ALWAYS choose you.
Remember, you'll wait for me here, right?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread